Ground speed estimation

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
About to mix some pasture chemical and whack those buttercups! But this is the first time to spray with the Bota, and I have no idea on how to estimate ground speed so as to properly calculate gal/acre and properly mix the herbicide. My old MF had a convenient ground speed chart right on the fender matching gear and rpm to speed. Anything like that exist for a HST?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
About to mix some pasture chemical and whack those buttercups! But this is the first time to spray with the Bota, and I have no idea on how to estimate ground speed so as to properly calculate gal/acre and properly mix the herbicide. My old MF had a convenient ground speed chart right on the fender matching gear and rpm to speed. Anything like that exist for a HST?
Most models have such information in the Operator's Manual.

I had the same dilemma last summer when spraying with my B3350. Operators manual was helpful but still a bit of a SWAG with HST.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I also use a free speedometer app on my I-phone. The one I use is also suitable for a bicycle so will give accurate speeds in the single digits with 1/10 MPH accuracy. Calculate the application rate/speed for the chemical and then use the app to find the HST range and RPM with full HST pedal and your good to go. You can even mount your phone to monitor the speed as you spray.

Edit: Here's the one I posted about a while ago:
Accurate speedometer for spraying.......... | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
alternatively, get a stop watch and tape measure.

every 22 feet per second = 15 mph

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
but all the maths though :sick::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, It's been ingrained into my noggin from many college physics classes. At least I managed to retain something.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'm spoiled with a Grand L that has a speedometer and push button cruise control. I use it when I spread pelletized fertilizer.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I'm amazed at the number of people who say, "Down load an app, don't go to the bother of using your brain."

Nope, I don't have a cell phone, don't need one, I use my brain.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Most replies and suggestions are not necessarily intended to be a "one-size-fits-all". I tend to glean what I need and leave the rest.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
4+ decades ago I added a sensor to the driveshaft of a 4wd modified 'log skidder' outfitted with a huge hopper/spreader unit. Designed/built the 'computer',so if you 'dialed in 12.2#/acre' that's what got spread regardless of ground speed,hills, etc. Unit went 'down east' for huge chemical company/forestry company. Still have the working spare here. Back them it was a $5K product, today 'computer' might cost $2.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
but all the maths though :sick::ROFLMAO:
With the math they teach today then it only matters that you tried cause they dont want an awnser only that you did it ass backwards and tried.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
^^^ right?!

Last edited:
  • Wow

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
^^^ right?!
wait until they have to do a little light trigonometry at 300 knots, I love the expression I get, usually followed by a blank stare :ROFLMAO:
Laughing my butt off now lol nice

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Not everyone is a "Mental Giant". That app for the bicycle speedometer is a life saver for accurately spraying high cost herbicides when your main means of rate control is your ground speed. Especially with my HST. Sure your speed may not matter much when your spraying your lawn or pasture with 2-4-D for dandelions. But there are times when it is important.

Years ago I was able to get a small "make up container" of an (at that time) somewhat exotic herbicide for killing grasses in corn. (Sweet corn is also a grass.) It was also one of the only ones available at the time for safe application in sweet corn. The tiny container had about 8 oz of dry granular herbicide and that package size was being discontinued because everything was tending towards much larger containers with the smallest being in the 2 to 5 lb. size or more.

That little 8 oz. box cost me just under $200 at the time. The application rate was something like .33 oz per acre in 3 to 10 gallons of water per application (two applications spaced 10 days apart.) The active ingredient by weight made gold look cheap. To make it last as long as possible we calculated the amount/rate for "band spraying" the rows. (3 acres of sweet corn) Herbicide was weighed on an electronic gun powder scale and the tractor ground speed was critical to get the right application rate for grass control and to not waste the product or damage the sweet corn with over application. It was amazing how well that product worked and how close we could finish with just oz's left or maybe 25 feet to manually hoe if we ran short.

Being able to use a speedometer app in single MPH with display to the nearest 1/10 MPH on a hydrostatic transmission sure makes the calculations and application easy. And for sure beats trying to watch the rows while counting and timing the tire rotations on the old geared tractor because the the RPM/Speed gauge wasn't accurate enough in the varying conditions.

I do agree that a person should be proficient enough to do the rate calculations manually and use the online calculators to verify your own math until you trust that calculator. But if you ever need to do some delicate band spraying in a crop susceptible to damage from over application, an accurate speedometer is a must have. My B2650 HST did not come with anything close to that. :) There's most likely other users that also have a need for one for their particular applications, too. It's a big world out there. LOL!

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
Most models have such information in the Operator's Manual.

I had the same dilemma last summer when spraying with my B3350. Operators manual was helpful but still a bit of a SWAG with HST.

SDT
I looked and my manual says nothing about ground speed. So I swagged it on feel and didnt come out too bad, as I’ve sprayed these pastures multiple times and a tank went about as far as usual.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A “brisk walk” is about 3 miles per hour.... if that helps.

The first hand-held Hewlitt-Packard calculators cost $395.
The aviation training company from which I retired in 2017 GAVE them away as promotional items.