Bx23s vibration

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
My BX2230 had a vibration when in 4WD ever since I owned it. I checked the front axle driveline, and there was some slop in the splined shaft and the yoke on the front axle pinion.
I replaced the splined shaft and the u-joint assembly and that cured the vibration, completely smooth now in 4WD.

Bbatten

Equipment
BX2230
Aug 3, 2024
Jericho Vermont USA
My BX2230 had a vibration when in 4WD ever since I owned it. I checked the front axle driveline, and there was some slop in the splined shaft and the yoke on the front axle pinion.
I replaced the splined shaft and the u-joint assembly and that cured the vibration, completely smooth now in 4WD.
I had the same issue after mid support ujoint spring sheared allowing that ujoint to fall off. PBlaster penetrating oil allowed me drive out the remnant of the broken pin. I got a replacement spring pin and reattached the joint. When I engaged the front axle I noticed severe vibration. After reading several posts here I decided to buy a new front axle ujoint (the one under the cover). I also found a good article describing proper phasing of opposing ujoints on a drive shaft. Before I removed the old front joint I observed that I hadn’t properly put these joints in phase to each other that causes higher than normal deviation from constant velocity. The timing isn’t mistake proof by design! That’s something Kubota could easily do with one additional missing spline tooth.
At the speed this tractor operates at and usually off pavement std unjoints are sufficient if phased properly. A true CV joint would be overkill.
Here is the link describing joint phasing: