Bx 24 Fuel tank removal

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Solution that's worked for me. Boat tanks, fuel tanks, hearing oil tanks, radiators, Tig welder cooling system, hydronic water system in my house, etc..

Make a simple recirculation pump/filter system. Pump from eBay, replacement impellers are cheap, various hose fittings and clear hoses for different applications. I use a cleanable air filter or an online filter or a diesel water separator/filter. Whatever applies for the job. Large, clear inline filters are fine for your tank. Use it for returning $$$ super UDT to your system when changing filters; works great and it's filtered.

Saw this when I was a kid and father got a bad batch of heating oil; kept clogging filter. Service man ran it all day through inlet and air escape pipe on tank. Set up in morning, left, returned end of day. Never clogged again. His pump was commercial duty and stirred up tank.

Gets 90% of crap. Run air line in to bubble it up if necessary.

Keep in mind this works for me, might not for you.

Also don't paint or epoxy sending unit on a gasoline system, I wouldn't do diesel either. If you're OCD zink phosphate it.
REMEMBER. Common sense prevails. NO FLAMMABLES!!! A pneumatic pump was used where I worked. But expensive.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pyrochad

Feb 10, 2019
Olympia, wa
What does everyone think about cutting a 4 inch hole I'm the top to access and clean it? Without taking the entire tractor apart to repair it. I was thinking right above the fuel line, then epoxying a plastic cap back on. Maybe even find some type of threaded cap o could reinstall.

Also, I have been using a a magnet on a string to collect most of the material. It works pretty good, but I think if I could get right above the port I could at least inspect it from time to time.

Shadow Lee

Equipment
BX25
Mar 5, 2021
Folsom, CA
I have had good luck siphoning junk out of BX fuel tanks with a piece of heater hose! I have avoided removing a number of tanks this way. fill the fuel tank nearly full then work the heater hose to the bottom, get a siphon going into a clean pail so you can observe what comes out.

The BX25 at a friends recently started intermittanly running rough and had little power . He replaced fuel filters; no change. I replaced the lift pump (OEM) and all was well. Later that day it was back to running rough and no power. I read on this forum that folks have struggled to get the tank out and for good reason, it's really in there!

Blowing into the fuel outlet hose as suggested by a few Youtubers would just push the clog back into the tank for it to return another day. I trolled the tank bottom with steel Scotch Brite thinking I would glom onto debris. None was observed. So I went and risked squeezing the clog even further into the tank exit bung by using a transfer pump from Harbor Freight to suck the clog out. I pulled someting out (which now resides in filter #1) and now there is great flow. https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html

Fingers crossed.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Gee, that tank looks very familiar !! My BX23S had the 'clogged fuel tank' last fall, took me a comfortable 3 dayze to properly fix. day one remove tank, day two CLEAN the tank, day 3 replace the tank. Aside from a busted 3PH knob, it went very well. BTW the seat is FRIGGIN HEAVY..... WSM say 'remove knobs'... well I'd PAY to see the guy who 'wrote the book' follow HIS directions...
Anyway, found a small hard 1/2 bagel shaped piec of plastic int he tank ,plugging the exit tube...
Had I know local dealer would have charged $300 ,I might have gone there but heck nothing else happening duw to Covid , eh ?
I now have a filter in the filler neck...and a new $6 knob that needs to be put on, when Spring comes....
I also have a Kubota 'remote filter with shutoff to install...one day.....

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I now have a filter in the filler neck...and a new $6 knob that needs to be put on, when Spring comes....
I also have a Kubota 'remote filter with shutoff to install...one day.....
Where did you find a filter that fits the filler neck?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
local $store, 'kitchen sink drain strainer'. Goldilocks size,the middle one, about 3.5" round.
Had to trim a bit off the OD to make it fit juuuust right.
Once the World 'opens up for business', I'l look around for version two-point-oh but this one has already saved me $500 by catching some 'crud' from what I thought was a clean can of fuel.