B2601 or L2501

slowmo

Jan 7, 2021
Montana
I will be purchasing a tractor for a five acre property, fairly flat with 5% slope in the back 2 acres. I will be putting in a 3 acre vineyard with 6 foot between rows, and will also be planting a small 1/4-1/2 acre or so vegetable garden.

The implements I want to run are a flail mower, under vine weeder that needs 20 HP, rototiller, air sprayer that needs 18 PTO, garden beder attachment, and FEL for turning a compost pile. I do not need a MMM.

I am trying to decide between the B2601 and L2501. Suggestions?

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
If you dont need a mid PTO, and weight doesn’t matter, go with the L. It has more lifting power.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
L is wider, heavier, more stable. Is it too wide though if the vines are 6 foot apart - once they grow a bit will you have only 4 foot to drive down?

Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
These machines both have similar capabilities, if you need mid pto it must be the B. L will perform better on ground work, box blade, disk etc. due to increased weight. B has some finishes L does not.
Make sure you see both in person and sit on them, ideally drive them both. Your acreage is small both will work for you. Personally I would select the L2501 as I feel the added weight is important and feel that the weight adds to performance.

Make sure you buy additional 3 rd function (front hydraulics) and 2 sets of rear remotes if you think you may use them, L also needs upgrade of telescopic stabilizer bars on rear 3pt, extra $200.

There are many prior posts and YouTube video on the comparison of these 2 models. Good luck with your new tractor.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
You're about where I was when I was first looking. I have a mile long dirt road and two clear acres to care for, and I maintain planting areas smaller than you're planning. I actually ended up getting the L3301, deciding the extra power would be worth it, and I do not regret that choice one bit. Not trying to upsell, but just something to keep in mind.

Given what you're saying, I would agree with those suggesting the L if you don't really need the mid PTO.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Look at the spec sheet for the L2501. With the R1 or ag tires you would be able to narrow the tractor to 55.1 inches and pass within your rows with the addition of wheel weights and liquid ballast in the tires the tractor should be fine for the loader work. The B2601 is only 49 inches wide. Do you have room to spread the vines a little?

slowmo

Jan 7, 2021
Montana
Look at the spec sheet for the L2501. With the R1 or ag tires you would be able to narrow the tractor to 55.1 inches and pass within your rows with the addition of wheel weights and liquid ballast in the tires the tractor should be fine for the loader work. The B2601 is only 49 inches wide. Do you have room to spread the vines a little?
I could go to 7 feet, but don't really want to go wider than that.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
When I purchased my first tractor I researched the HP requirement of the attachments I felt I may use and lots of them fell into the 20-25HP range, I decided to buy a L3200 HST as it had just over 25 HP at the PTO, it was the right decision for me. The L2501 is just under 20 HP at the PTO. As Random commented above an L3301 worked out good for him. As I needed another L tractor I would have purchased the L3301 but my dealer did not have one and he offered me an L3901 for another $1,300 at the time so he did not lose my sale. For me a minimum of 25 PTO HP has worked out real well and I’ve never felt any performance issues.

I don’t want to spend your money or push you up a size but if you can stretch you will never wish you had less HP! Good luck in coming to a decision.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Depends what you are trying to do ultimately.

I think 6 foot rows won't give you 6 foot of driving space. There's a reason they make narrow tractors for vineyards. 6 foot = 72 inches. 1 foot either side for vine growth, leaves 4 foot. 48 inches. Do you have spare land for what you want, or do you need to make it as productive as possible. If you're focused on productivity you don't really want to increase vine spacing, but that really means a B or a narrow model. The B2401 comes in a narrow, which is be 36 inches (3 and a half foot).

What do you need a bigger machine for? Presumably you'll be mowing (MMM or flail? I'd go a flail, lets you offset underneath the vines a bit). Will you spray under the vines so you have bare right underneath?

Spraying doesn't need much HP, mowing 5 foot rows doesn't need much HP, dragging equipment up and down the rows doesn't need much HP. So a B2601 or B2401 narrow would do it fine. I would go with the smaller machine, I think an L will keep annoying you - particularly if it's knocking bunches of grapes off.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Choosing between the B and the L puts you in the perfect category for an LX. Good reviews about the newer emissions systems on the LX3310, and the LX2610 doesn't have emissions hardware. The best part is that you'll probably get a better price on the newer model, especially compared to the B. A B2650 was nearly $4K higher than what I paid for the larger LX2601SU. I know a warning when I see it. The LX is just another consideration. The only 'regret' I have with the LX2610SU is that the subframe for the BH77 backhoe is in short supply. But, that 'regret' may have also changed my mind about what kind of attachments I want to invest in after more careful thought. I can get a lotta other attachments for the price of that BH-77.