Road Safe Dump Trailer that a B series can also pull

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I'm wondering if there are dump trailers out there which might be small enough for a compact tractor to pull around, but still ok to haul on the road with a normal vehicle. The King Kutter style 1.5 ton dump trailer is almost perfect, but a bit small and not rated for road use.

I don't need to go highway speeds and I think the hand-pump dump feature is just fine to avoid having a battery/pump (and the option to use a rear remote to dump is awesome). It would need proper lights and all that to go on the road.

Edit for clarification:
I'd be pulling with a B2601 with loaded rear tires. I'd use it somewhat regularly to haul in maybe a half mile area where I don't need it to be road-rated. Much more rarely, I'd hope to use it to fetch materials (most likely gravel, sand, road-pack, and compost) from a couple miles away. I can avoid highways if needed.
Bonus points if the dump trailer could also haul a K008 mini excavator. Double bonus points if the B2601 could squeeze onto the trailer in a pinch (but let's not get too caught up on fitting the tractor onto the trailer).

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
At $400+- diff in the two trailers, it'd be better to buy the 2nd one. You could put highway rated tires/rims and lights on the 1st but that could eat up the diff in $ real fast. Also unkown IF the spindles/bearings of #1 would be 'highway rated'.
I know I can build a SA dumper for less than 5000 canucks .....

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This is the closest I found: Bri-Mar 5 x 8 Single Axle Dump Trailer - 3K Spreader Gate (trailersuperstore.com)

Yet, that is still about 700lbs to heavy for the B Series when fully loaded, which the manual limits the weight to 2,200lbs for the drawbar.

Trailer Max. load capacity kg (lbs.) kg (lbs.) 1000 (2200)
Max. drawbar load kg (lbs.) kg (lbs.) 300 (660)
I have a 5x8 dump trailer that is road worthy with brakes on the single axle, rated for 3,500 pounds. I pulled it a lot around my property loaded with dirt with my BX2200. Up slopes too.

I would not hesitate to pull it loaded with my B2910. Doubt I would even know it was back there. Only judging from the way the BX2200 performed.

So I think the OP would have might have no problem pulling a 3K rated trailer with his tractor.

To the OP: IF you want good answers post specifics including what tractor you have! It is really impossible for anyone to answer your question meaningfully with (lack of) specifics given.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Another option is to simply have one custom built. Find a local fabshop,basic 4by8 SAdumper, maybe $2K, south of the 49th.

That DiamondC unit has a GVWR of 5000 yet NO actual trailer weight or 'payload' rating !! 3.6cubic yards of stone weighs a LOT more than 3.6 cubic yards of foam peanuts .....

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
You probably can't pull this one with your tractor but I sure liked the quality of their build and I was looking at one I can pull with my Toyota Tacoma.

https://www.diamondc.com/trailers/dump/

View attachment 52872
My Load Trail 5'x8' 5000# gvw single axle dumper has 18" depth box. That's a standard basic depth, but Diamond c sells height extenders. So that's 5x8x1.5 ft = 60 cu. ft. volume. 60 / 27 cu ft per yard = 2.2 cu yds. Not 3.6, not without taller sides.
I max out load weight for the trailer at 1/2 full of sand, about 1 cu yd.,and only hauling on the pickup truck, not the tractor.
For wood chips, firewood, compost, the B2650 with 3-point receiver does great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Take a look at Berkelmens Welding farm dump trailers, I’m sure they would put road tires on one. The 2 ton single axle weighs 700 lb.

You did not clarify how much you wanted to use the trailer for road use compared to tractor use. As you appreciate their are several issues between road and farm dump trailers, the set up is very different for each use.

Tractor use typically means just a cylinder and two hoses to connect to rear remotes, farm dump trailers tend to be heavy duty build in the body.

Road dump trailers have hydraulic power packs, battery on board, more complex controls etc, hence more weight and more body and structure, heavy braked axles.

A road version, even a small one is over the recommended drawbar tow weight of a B series tractor. If you have the need for regular tractor use buy a farm dump trailer. If your road use is infrequent dump trailers are easily available to rent.

I’m about to order Berkelmans Welding 2 ton dump trailer to use with my L 3901 tractor, the only decision is trailer length, 6' or 8', most of my use is woodland, tree removal and firewood.

Good luck in making your selection.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: I’m sure they would put road tires on one

That doesn't make necessarily make it 'roadworthy'. The axle bearings must be 'road worthy' as well !!! ANy 'off road' trailer could have LOW SPEED hubs, with LOW SPEED bearings. yes, they'll take the load(weight) but NOT the high speed RPMs of highway towing.
Just something to ask about .

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You don't have to fill it to the top - just because it's rated to 2200 lbs doesn't mean you need to put 2200 lbs of stuff in it. It's a maximum not a minimum.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
A couple people asked for more specific details:
I'd be pulling with a B2601 with loaded rear tires. I'd use it somewhat regularly to haul in maybe a half mile area where I don't need it to be road-rated. Much more rarely, I'd hope to use it to fetch materials (most likely gravel, sand, road-pack, and compost) from a couple miles away. I can avoid highways if needed.
Bonus points if the dump trailer could also haul a K008 mini excavator. Double bonus points if the B2601 could squeeze onto the trailer in a pinch (but let's not get too caught up on fitting the tractor onto the trailer).

Someone suggested using two different trailers for different applications (road/farm). I don't like that option since I will have situations where I need to move materials on the road, then switch to moving that same load with the tractor. I don't want to transfer from one trailer to another. If I need very large quantities, I would pay to have it delivered.

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
A couple people asked for more specific details:

Someone suggested using two different trailers for different applications (road/farm). I don't like that option since I will have situations where I need to move materials on the road, then switch to moving that same load with the tractor. I don't want to transfer from one trailer to another. If I need very large quantities, I would pay to have it delivered.
I own far too many trailers ...lol. Like you I have many different uses but it’s really hard to find a common solution that meets all needs.

The uses you describe require 2 different trailers unfortunately due to the weight, axle requirements, braking requirements and different methods of operating the tilt.

The B series and L series both have recommended trailer weight load limits of 2,200 lbs maximum. A road trailer capable of carrying your mini ex or a yard of sand will be well past the recommended capacity of your tractor when you consider the combined weight of trailer and load. Maybe time upgrade to a MX.

good look figuring things out.

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Around here you wouldn't have to have tag or lights ('if tow vehicle lights are visible', loosely enforced). But in your neck of the woods, I suspect you'd have to have title, tag, lights, probably brakes, and who knows what else to put a trailer on the road. You'd probably have to show that your combined rig was rated for the load. And probably need a ball hitch (I noticed one you pictured had a farm/fork/clevis/? hitch.)
As somebody else mentioned, you don't have to fully load the trailer when the tractor is towing it (but a trailer that will carry a mini-ex is probably going to weigh close to 2000#). If your tractor pull is level, I could see stretching the Kubota rating. If not, you've got to be able to stop it going down as well as pull it up.
So, you may have to limit your load, or forget hauling the mini-ex. I think the real question is how small of a street-legal trailer can you find?

lostboy

Equipment
lx2610
Jan 1, 2021
OK
I had to sign up just to answer your question. I just bought a trailer about 3 months ago to do the same thing you requested. It has been working great.
I chose to go with a single axle trailer so it wouldn't tear up the grass as much in the yard. If I wasn't worried about the yard, I would have gotten a 2 axle trailer to distribute the load.
What I found was this Delco 5X8 7K dump trailer that is really heavy built. I pulled it all around my yard to pick up limbs after a recent ice storm and it worked great. Also used it to get sand and haul fire wood, my tacoma pulls it great. I haven't tried to load my tractor in it, if it fit it would be tight and the loader would be hanging over. A 5x10 I think would be the sweet spot.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
FYI a K008 weighs in at 2200#.. up here most mfrs sell trailers,even mini tandem dumps 'rated' at 2990#...it's a legal thing, the trialer's can haul more BUT mfrs don't have to put brakes on them at 2990#, if sold at 2991 MUST have brakes and battery backup system. In fact ,legally ANY trailer on the road in Ontario MUST have proper brakes if the payload+trailer is over 2990#. THAT is a little know law..
While it is possible to haul a miniex with a SA trailer, it's 'challenging' to say the least. Tandem axle is far safer, more stabile especially with 4 brakes on it.
Ideally buy a trailer for road use, then 'offroad'just do 1/2 loads with tractor.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Lost boy, welcome to the forum, that is a nice little road dump trailer. It is unfortunately 1,875 lbs in weight empty, great for road use behind your pickup as it would allow you to safely pull a load of 5,125lbs.

I went back to my Kubota operating manual to re read the recommended trailer loads. There are two numbers, max drawbar weight of 720lbs and max trailer load of 2,200 lbs, I believe this is for B and L series.

what is confusing is that it states that the trailer load limit excludes the weight of the trailer. How does anyone else interpret these numbers? What gross trailer and load weights should we consider as meeting Kubota guidelines?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
IN
Yes, a K008 is about the smallest mini-ex you can get, and weighs just over 2,000lb. I'm actually pondering some type of drive-on dolly type thing if I just need to haul it a half mile or so now and then.

Many loads can be hauled safely by proper weight distribution and simply going slow. The only hills I'd ever have to deal with are driveway skirts and those could be avoided when needed. I'm sure Kubota's trailer numbers mean something for a particular type of activity, and I'm sure they can be exceeded with proper care and consideration. With still water, a riding mower could slowly haul a tanker ship.

Cops don't seem terribly concerned with utility trailers here - expired plates and malfunctioning lights don't seem to bother anyone. I could probably get away with tooling around town with an off-road trailer to pickup materials, and maybe no one would say anything for years. I dunno, I'd still rather have something designed for road speeds.

Since starting this threat, I'm getting really interested in 3 way dump trailers. It seems like there are some lighter-built variants out there, but not in the states.

lostboy, thanks for joining! It looks like your trailer weighs about 1825lb empty. How much weight have you hauled with your B2320? Have you tried going up/down slopes? Do you engage the trailer brakes somehow while using your tractor to pull it?

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
My PJ 5'x8' 5000# gvw single axle dumper has 18" depth box. That's a standard basic depth, but Diamond c sells height extenders. So that's 5x8x1.5 ft = 60 cu. ft. volume. 60 / 27 cu ft per yard = 2.2 cu yds. Not 3.6, not without taller sides.
I max out load weight for the trailer at 1/2 full of sand, about 1 cu yd.,and only hauling on the pickup truck, not the tractor.
For wood chips, firewood, compost, the B2650 with 3-point receiver does great.
BTW it's not a PJ dumper
I had to sign up just to answer your question. I just bought a trailer about 3 months ago to do the same thing you requested. It has been working great.
I chose to go with a single axle trailer so it wouldn't tear up the grass as much in the yard. If I wasn't worried about the yard, I would have gotten a 2 axle trailer to distribute the load.
What I found was this Delco 5X8 7K dump trailer that is really heavy built. I pulled it all around my yard to pick up limbs after a recent ice storm and it worked great. Also used it to get sand and haul fire wood, my tacoma pulls it great. I haven't tried to load my tractor in it, if it fit it would be tight and the loader would be hanging over. A 5x10 I think would be the sweet spot.
Yes, got the Load Trail name mixed with my PJ 18' car hauler. Fixed! Thx.

Looks exactly like my 5K Load Trail with a different name on it, and obviously has a 7k axle instead of my 5k. I also haul my dumper around a LOT with my 2006 Tacoma. Until a few years ago, anyway, when I "retired" from construction contracting. Forget loading the tractor on it. I got an 18' PJ car hauler for that.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Lost boy, welcome to the forum, that is a nice little road dump trailer. It is unfortunately 1,875 lbs in weight empty, great for road use behind your pickup as it would allow you to safely pull a load of 5,125lbs.

I went back to my Kubota operating manual to re read the recommended trailer loads. There are two numbers, max drawbar weight of 720lbs and max trailer load of 2,200 lbs, I believe this is for B and L series.

what is confusing is that it states that the trailer load limit excludes the weight of the trailer. How does anyone else interpret these numbers? What gross trailer and load weights should we consider as meeting Kubota guidelines?
I use a 3-point receiver hitch, not the drawbar, for my dumper trailer. The 3-point capacity is much higher than the drawbar specs. And as the 3-point is designed for ground-engaging implements - plow? box scraper? the transient loads that a loaded trailer places on the 3-point will not be anywhere near as high as those implements can torture the 3-point frame. That's my take on it, anyway.