Missing screws

bentrim

Equipment
M6800 Kubota, Kubota RTV 500
Dec 9, 2020
Kentucky
My Kubota M6800 has 3600 hours on it and it started shutting off back in the summer randomly and I assumed it was an electrical issue because it would always start back up easily, never smoked or knocked. The problem got worse so I changed the Fuel cut-off solenoid to no avail and then changed the oil pressure switch with no effect Then I put an oil pressure tester on it and there was basically no oil pressure, when I took off the tester and left that orifice open the oil would come out in a slow stream only. After I checked the relief valve and the oil suction screen I went into the gear case and found the issue, but created more concern. On the plate on the back of the oil pump there are 8 screws that basically hold the pump together. Well, mine only had five screws in it and 2 of those were loose. So, I'm assuming that is what created my lack of oil pressure problem, now my concern is what happened to those missing screws. I've searched all over that engine for them. There's no scratches/gouges anywhere in the engine like you would expect if some screws/bolts were loose in the gear case. I had already changed the oil since the issue started and there's no metal pieces or flakes in the current oil that was in it. I've got the oil pan off and have looked all over the bottom of the engine and there's just no sign of these screws. Anybody have any input on how they would proceed?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I haven't a clue of your situation. When the pin came out of my Volvo's mechanical fuel pump I worried about engine damage. There was none noted so I went fishing. I went through the oil pan drain with a small magnet and retrieved the pin. If your screws are in the oil pan you could try a similar approach.

bentrim

Equipment
Dec 9, 2020
Kentucky
Oil pan is already off and I’ve inspected everything underneath and found nothing. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think this is the first I've ever heard of a Kubota oil pump having that happen to it.
Strange, but things happen.
Very likely it's happened over years and you've just drained the screws out with oil changes.

Reactions: 2 users

bentrim

Equipment
Dec 9, 2020
Kentucky
I think this is the first I've ever heard of a Kubota oil pump having that happen to it.
Strange, but things happen.
Very likely it's happened over years and you've just drained the screws out with oil changes.
I agree with your assessment. It seems unusual but I’m going to put stuff back together and run it. Thanks

Gus1957

Premium Member

Equipment
M6800, L2501 TLB, BX2370
Dec 17, 2023
Cobleskill NY
Hello,
I have a M6800 with similar problems. Did your tractor keep running or any other issues?

TY