Loader 4-way valve problem

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
Greetings everyone. I am new to the forum, so this is my first post. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but my 4-way valve sounds like my bucket tilt circuit is deadheading (making that sort of screeching sound you here when you deadhead the bucket tilt after it has made its full travel). As a result, I barely have any lift (slower than a turtle). The odd thing is that I can do a simultaneous tilt and lift with the joystick (angled position) and the bucket will lift and tilt at the same time as it normally would.

Having little knowledge about these control valves, I first found a parts breakdown for the valve. It is being used on a 1997 B7610 with a LA352 loader.

The first thing I did was to swap the cylinders around (quick disconnects) to see if I had lift but no tilt. The answer is yes. The next thing I did was to remove, clean, blow out, etc. both load check valves. The plunger and springs look good, so I swapped them to see if the problem remained the same. No change...same problem. Next, I removed both hex cans at the bottom of the valve to clean and inspect. Everything looked normal, but I didn't take them apart due to the aggravating groove ring that would have to be removed. At this point, I checked both spools; and they both move freely up and down. The springs for both spools look good and each spool centers like it should. I then removed the quick disconnects from the valve and blew the valve body out as much as possible, while moving each spool up and down. Put everything back together. Still no change. When I begin to move the bucket tilt spool, the deadheading sound disappears. But, as soon as I release the joystick, that deadheading sound comes back.

BTW, the pictorial I am using matches my control valve exactly. The Kubota reference is 01B00503.

The tractor has 500 hours on it. The valve linkage is excellent and there are no leaks at the valve or anywhere else. Haven't messed with the pressure relief area, as it appears to be working properly as far as pressure goes. This scenario happened for a short time a couple of winters ago, but then went away. It has now come back and is not going away. Have I missed something, other than to completely disassemble the valve and blow out every orifice I can find?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
:eek: After completely disassembling the 4-way control valve, cleaning, blowing everything out with compressed air and reassembling, I still had the same problem. Scratching my head, I began Googling again to see if I could find a post that claimed a similar problem. Sure enough, I ran across a U-tube video that showed the same problem I was having. Reading through the video posts, the fix was embarrassing.

The deadheading sound I was hearing wasn't being caused by the 4-way control valve for the FEL. It was the control for the 3 point hitch. I had accidentally moved the control handle back when I was changing the handle for the 4WD/2WD which is right next to it. So, the hydraulics were constantly trying to raise the 3 point hitch. As soon as I moved the control handle back to the "park" position, the deadheading sound stopped and the FEL is back to operating normally. I have a backhoe attached, so didn't even think about the 3 point hitch being the cause since it was my FEL having the problem.

Hope this helps someone in the future, as I can see it happening to anyone wearing heavy winter gloves like I was wearing when I inadvertently moved the 3 point hitch control lever while moving the 4WD/2WD lever.

Was an embarrassing lesson to learn. It wasn't the first time; and I'm sure it won't be the last time either.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
zzsparky, welcome to the forum. It is odd for a new member to post a question and in the second post describes the solution!

But it's good you got it figured out, then came back and posted it. You will have a solution for others. Be sure to stick around.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The real reason it's doing that is because it's out of adjustment.
You need to get the WSM for the tractor and adjust the 3point control and/or the three point feed back control to fix it so that can't happen. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I am also a victim/ guilty if doing the same thing. Tractor had a backhoe, and with lever up it was fighting itself for hydraulic pressure.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
Thanks y'all for the encouragement and fix suggestions. As long as I've had my tractor, I have yet to remove the backhoe and use the implements I have been slowly acquiring. Wanted to paint the implements first with Kubota orange paint to match the tractor. Call it a pride thing, I guess. So far, have been using the tractor for construction projects around the house, so the backhoe and FEL have been invaluable. But, I will soon be finished with the digging, grading, etc. to where I can then focus on doing some farming on my land (which means removing the backhoe and using my implements).

I have the owner's manual which shows the basics on adjusting the 3 point hitch linkage. So, will get it out and read up on it to see what I can do regarding adjustments. Will do google searching on the subject as well. If all else fails, will swing by my dealer with the tractor to have them check the setting.

This whole experience has shown me the need to purchase the repair and service manuals for my tractor since I want to troubleshoot and repair my tractor on my own as much as possible. It can't hurt. As the saying goes, "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Last edited:

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
North Idaho Wolfman.

I checked the linkage adjustment for the 3 point hitch control lever. I did make some adjustments, but will still have to double check everything once I begin using my implements. Strange how Kubota has the lowering setup on this tractor, but will probably figure out why once I begin using the implements on a regular basis. Still seems to be a bit of a hassle, regarding the operating part.

Going to ask my dealer the history behind this 3 point hitch setup and if they still use it today.

Jgreno

Equipment
Kubota 7610, LA352 loader, B4672A backhoe, Bobcat UV34
Sep 3, 2024
Buffalo NY
:eek: After completely disassembling the 4-way control valve, cleaning, blowing everything out with compressed air and reassembling, I still had the same problem. Scratching my head, I began Googling again to see if I could find a post that claimed a similar problem. Sure enough, I ran across a U-tube video that showed the same problem I was having. Reading through the video posts, the fix was embarrassing.

The deadheading sound I was hearing wasn't being caused by the 4-way control valve for the FEL. It was the control for the 3 point hitch. I had accidentally moved the control handle back when I was changing the handle for the 4WD/2WD which is right next to it. So, the hydraulics were constantly trying to raise the 3 point hitch. As soon as I moved the control handle back to the "park" position, the deadheading sound stopped and the FEL is back to operating normally. I have a backhoe attached, so didn't even think about the 3 point hitch being the cause since it was my FEL having the problem.

Hope this helps someone in the future, as I can see it happening to anyone wearing heavy winter gloves like I was wearing when I inadvertently moved the 3 point hitch control lever while moving the 4WD/2WD lever.

Was an embarrassing lesson to learn. It wasn't the first time; and I'm sure it won't be the last time either.

It’s well into the future, and your post about the hydraulic issue with the LA 352 loader is exactly what I experienced. Issue resolved very simply. Thanks for the post