M9000 Noise

WilberMaker

Apr 27, 2015
Lockesburg
I am having a squealing noise on my M9000 after the engine has started. Not every time. Hydraulics and transmission do not seem to be effected at all. The squealing last for 10 - 30 seconds after starting and is not effected by raising or lowering the bucket. Not effected by moving the tractor ether. Any clue what this noise might be?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Possibly water pump is failing or, as Russell stated belt or even bearing on alternator or fan if so equipped.

WilberMaker

Apr 27, 2015
Lockesburg
Yes that is exactly what it sounds like but, it is not the belt. Even sprayed the belt with WD40 to double check. Not sure on the water pump??? Noise is loud enough can't pin point where it is coming from. That would be easy. Not sure why a water pump would do that only at startup. This happens maybe 80% of the time hot or cold engine even if started right after killing the engine. It tappers off when it stops like a check or relief valve. Bucket going up and down has no effect.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You can always remove the fan belt. Start it up and check to see if it still has the noise. Don't run it for for very long. But it would help to narrow down where to look.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
This was on a car not a tractor but I had the same problem. "The squealing would last for 10 - 30 seconds after starting". It ended up being the power steering pump.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You can always remove the fan belt. Start it up and check to see if it still has the noise. Don't run it for for very long. But it would help to narrow down where to look.
Daren - Exactly what I was thinking.......eliminate items one at a time.

Sounds like a bearing - if you increase RPM'S during noise - does it increase?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - Exactly what I was thinking.......eliminate items one at a time.

Sounds like a bearing - if you increase RPM'S during noise - does it increase?
I had some new equipment come through a few years back. Factory installed a belt that was four sizes to small. I had a service call on two of them. One broke the belt tensioner, the other burned up the alternator. Our other mechanic was out on site for the third. After working on it for three hours, he called me to bring him a replacement piece of equipment to swap it out. He told me the engine was locked up when I got there. I pulled my knife out and cut the fan belt. Hit the key, and the engine started right up :D He was cussing pretty good over that one :D:D

WilberMaker

Apr 27, 2015
Lockesburg
When the rain stops I will remove the belt. Sound will not change with RPM that is what is throwing me off. If the sound changed I cold understand a bearing or belt. Smart thing to do is rule that out first, will do.