Wowzer, talk about markup on OEM Kubota parts

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
I found the same type of mark-up to be true when trying to buy a high and low pressure fuel pumps from our local mercury marine parts supplier. He couldn,t believe I could buy the exact same parts for 1/6 th the cost of his discounted to me list price.
When I showed him the prices of what I could buy the 2 pumps for, his comment was, man, is mercury marine ever $crewing us over. LOL It certainly pays to use the search function on the internet before committing to buy certain items, from some sellers. Gotta love the internet. It certainly helps expose those that charge crazy high prices. A bit of homework, can save a lot of cash, and frustration.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Digi Key didn't have it, neither did Dell Electronics but Rock auto did. Remember I went to my dealer and Dennis (the lead technician) looked it up for me in the Kubota microfiche and nowhere did it call out a Nissan relay, just a Kubota part and the Nissan relay I got came in a Kubota bag with this number on it...3F740-75030 which is not even close to the actual number on the relay. I kept the bag in came in btw.

Furthermore, when I ordered the relay I had not removed the roof to access the relay so I was not aware it was a Nissan relay, in fact, I didn't know what it was. I only knew what it was when I received the relay from my dealer (they dropped it off at the farm. Once I looked at it and got the catalog number and who made it, I was able to cross it and wound up with the relay(s), I ordered 2 because Dennis told me there were 2 identical relays up there. So now I have 3. The 2 cheap ones (exact copies of the Kubota part) and the expensive one which may go back, but then it may not depending on how I feel about it down the road.

As a matter of replacement, I will replace BOTH relays when I finish removing the roof and probably have a spare, which isn't all bad. I keep spare components for most all my replacement needs. Like my round baler takes 5 electronic sensors, all identical and I keep a spare on hand, just in case because if a sensor fails, the baler won't bale. Having a spare for me is just good practice. Easier to replace with one on hand that be broke down and waiting for a 50 buck sensor considering supply chain economics are in a tear today.

I have zero issues with the relay or Kubota in general. What I'm disappointed about is the over the top markup from Kubota on it. 50+ bucks for an identical part I can get elsewhere for less than $3.50 smacks of gouging. 90% markup is way over the top.

Live and learn I guess. When I replaced the tie rod ends on the open station I priced the Kubota replacements and they were $150 bucks each. Mid States Ag had them for 50 bucks each so you know where I got them. Same part, 1/3rd the cost but then I had physical possession of the tie rod ends, I didn't have that with the relay..... and the Mid States tie rod ends came with Alemite fittings, Kubota tie rod ends are sealed for 'life'. I prefer grease fittings myself for a high wear / high stress component.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Wow, Flip...you have some Critics on this forum,...Heh..?? (You mention you like to support your local dealer and....then.... if you find an example of humongous mark-up worth a work-around.... and you try to help others here at the Forums.... and suddenly you’re ostracized for sharing your solution to excessive Mark-Up! :rolleyes:

Hey Leveraddict... YOU shouldn’t pay any attention to the help Flip tried to send your way... YOU ignore this thread and make certain to buy YOUR relays only from the OEM.

Flip and others: I found that many times OEMs use very common 40A automotive relays for a lot of items and even at local parts-stores FULL RETAIL they are much less expensive than from the OEM.

Then, one day I found THIS FIVE-PACK of genuine BOSCH common auto-relays for $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VDI0GY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 D8A0FAA3-4A90-44C0-B1B7-EB994E6104F2.jpeg

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
George.. Used to it. I get it from my wife all the time. I have what is termed a 'deaf ear'.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
George.. Used to it. I get it from my wife all the time. I have what is termed a 'deaf ear'.
Flip... Exactly WHAT KIND of “excessive MarkUp” is your wife charging you...??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ok, please post the NISSAN part number for me ( whatever's on the relay. ) Picture of the actual relay pinout would be real handy !! Odds are good DK has it, just not that 'number'.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
BEWARE: Many of the 'equivalent' parts are inferior.

For example, I installed an aftermarket waterpump.... The impeller actually had interference with the housing. (would not spin by hand when installed) I had to spend over an hour with dremel-tool to modify (grind) the impeller and test-fit several times before it would spin freely when installed on engine.

I have to wonder how many people have purchased these waterpumps and did not do a hand 'spin test' before starting the engine. The resultant damage to the aluminum timing-gear cover could be expensive.

Personally, If I were to do it all over again, I would GLADLY pay double for a replacement part that bolts right on and works out of the box.
So do you really think Kubota has facilities that produce every part on their machines? Of course not. There are manufacturers that produce and label just about everything out there theses days. As with Sidecar's relay, Nippondenso, Schneider, Omron are the big three manufacturers. Yes, I do think certain things are made to a given manufacturers spec and may be better. But it would more likely be the parts specific to the machine, not something like a generic relay. So in Sidecars scenario part of the decision may be if buying a generic part increased the likelihood of needing to remove the roof again. Honestly, I would not be at all surprised to find the generic part is exactly the same part that his Kubota has on their shelf.
If I needed engine/drivetrain parts I would want OEM. If I needed a seat for example (or a relay) I would shop around. Somethings can be hard to do if you only have a part number by design. As far as the water pump; I sure hope for their sake that anyone willing to take on replacing it themselves had to good sense to check the clearances. :cautious:
I had a similar experience with the A/C on my M9 when the compressor failed. Kubota wanted $1,800 for just the compressor. The service manager is a friend and he told to go to AP Air. I got a Denso compressor, same as on the tractor originally for less than $500. Got all the parts for much less than Kubota wanted for just the compressor.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I condition this as I've never bought from them.

I've always considered Rock Auto as a low-end/knock-off, etc. auto parts supplier.

I don't buy auto parts online often, but tend to stay away from Rock Auto for some reason.

Maybe it's their real hokey (no offense, T. :)) TV ads.

Thinking my thoughts are not justified. Maybe I'll try them sometime.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
So do you really think Kubota has facilities that produce every part on their machines? Of course not. There are manufacturers that produce and label just about everything out there theses days. As with Sidecar's relay, Nippondenso, Schneider, Omron are the big three manufacturers. Yes, I do think certain things are made to a given manufacturers spec and may be better. But it would more likely be the parts specific to the machine, not something like a generic relay. So in Sidecars scenario part of the decision may be if buying a generic part increased the likelihood of needing to remove the roof again. Honestly, I would not be at all surprised to find the generic part is exactly the same part that his Kubota has on their shelf.
If I needed engine/drivetrain parts I would want OEM. If I needed a seat for example (or a relay) I would shop around. Somethings can be hard to do if you only have a part number by design. As far as the water pump; I sure hope for their sake that anyone willing to take on replacing it themselves had to good sense to check the clearances. :cautious:
I had a similar experience with the A/C on my M9 when the compressor failed. Kubota wanted $1,800 for just the compressor. The service manager is a friend and he told to go to AP Air. I got a Denso compressor, same as on the tractor originally for less than $500. Got all the parts for much less than Kubota wanted for just the compressor.
Wasn't it me that guided you to AP air?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I condition this as I've never bought from them.

I've always considered Rock Auto as a low-end/knock-off, etc. auto parts supplier.

I don't buy auto parts online often, but tend to stay away from Rock Auto for some reason.

Maybe it's their real hokey (no offense, T. :)) TV ads.

Thinking my thoughts are not justified. Maybe I'll try them sometime.
Never saw one of their TV ads, but then I don't watch TV anyway. Too many commercials geared towards a 6 year old mentality.

Get a lot of parts from Rock and 1A Auto.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Ok, please post the NISSAN part number for me ( whatever's on the relay. ) Picture of the actual relay pinout would be real handy !! Odds are good DK has it, just not that 'number'.

Here is is:

Nissan Part Number 2523079982 Below that is: 1812191034

On the top is: Nissan Myamoto, Japan Kubota Pert number is: 3F740-75030

The ones I got from Rock Auto for $3.14 each bear the same numbers and place of manufacture as well as the same contact arrangement on the bottom and top.

Came in a Beck/Arnley box. Item number 203-0714 SKU number: 049797802824

To get them from Rock, I entered the 2523079982 and bingo, came right up. It's a Nissan relay for a specific model car's ignition module.

Terminals 1-2 is the coil, 5 is ground and 3 and 4 are switched.

I don't need any more but I am curious as to the cost from your supplier.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Wow, Flip...you have some Critics on this forum,...Heh..?? (You mention you like to support your local dealer and....then.... if you find an example of humongous mark-up worth a work-around.... and you try to help others here at the Forums.... and suddenly you’re ostracized for sharing your solution to excessive Mark-Up! :rolleyes:

Hey Leveraddict... YOU shouldn’t pay any attention to the help Flip tried to send your way... YOU ignore this thread and make certain to buy YOUR relays only from the OEM.

Flip and others: I found that many times OEMs use very common 40A automotive relays for a lot of items and even at local parts-stores FULL RETAIL they are much less expensive than from the OEM.

Then, one day I found THIS FIVE-PACK of genuine BOSCH common auto-relays for $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VDI0GY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 49683
I guess gettin it aint as fun as givin it!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The way I look at it is that K parts are reasonably priced considering I never have to wait more than one or two days to get pretty much any part, even for older machines. Many times parts are in stock and no wait.

If you want sticker and wait delay shock try New Holland.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
googled ' 2523079982 ' and found 10k hits, quick look, most are Nissan dealers and resellers. got a picture of it....
doubt I can find them for less than $3 ( from one Nissan dealer $16, another $28.......)
curious as to why one terminal is grounded....if that's the 'wiper', then the relay grounds one or the other contact...sigh...

ki4dog

Equipment
L2501, Loader, DH1060, Titan 1205 rotary cutter, Titan pallet forks, TERYX
May 30, 2020
Kingston, TN
Keep in mind that not all identical relays actually are internally. Some have a resistor built in to prevent reverse emf from the magnetic field collapsing when the relay is de-energized. That reverse kick can damage a computer. Some are sealed or have better contacts. They may all look and work the same, but are actually quite different. This applies mostly to the cube relays you find everywhere. Just a note fwiw.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
googled ' 2523079982 ' and found 10k hits, quick look, most are Nissan dealers and resellers. got a picture of it....
doubt I can find them for less than $3 ( from one Nissan dealer $16, another $28.......)
curious as to why one terminal is grounded....if that's the 'wiper', then the relay grounds one or the other contact...sigh...
Had the same results as you. On my engineer friend's suggestion I did the Rock Auto thing. He buys from Rock as well, collects vintage Beemers of all things.

Not gonna take any of them apart until I remove the old ones, then I'll dissect the faulty one and take a picture for you to figure out.

Not electronics savvy. They work fine, they don't I replace them.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Keep in mind that not all identical relays actually are internally. Some have a resistor built in to prevent reverse emf from the magnetic field collapsing when the relay is de-energized. That reverse kick can damage a computer. Some are sealed or have better contacts. They may all look and work the same, but are actually quite different. This applies mostly to the cube relays you find everywhere. Just a note fwiw.

There are no computers involved at all. The tractor is a 2002 Pre 4 unit. In fact it is a T3 interem engine which means minimal emissions hardware and no software at all. Don't do computerized tractors and don't want to. The ONLY emissions related hardware is the waste gated turbocharger. Even has a road draft tube on it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
rockauto jacks their prices up a little at a time the more you buy from them.

they get you in by cheap prices. Then you get hooked on "cheap" and the more you buy the more expensive it gets pretty soon you're paying closer to msrp. I used to buy quite a bit from them. Not anymore but there are several reasons for that.

don't like the prices start your own tractor company and let us know how that works out

i own a business (LLC) and people would be surprised what it costs JUST to DO business. Self employed health insurance costs me over $1000/mo and that's considered cheap! Then there's GL insurance, vehicle insurance, inventory insurance, building insurance, franchise fees, taxes out the ying-yang, and everything else....if I bring in $10,000 a month, about $5100 of it goes right to the government...I'm doing well at 10% after expenses but that is how business goes. If you do enough volume to pay your bills, you've done good!!

McDonald's margin is less than 1% at most restaurants. So how do they make so much money? VOLUME. John Deere took note of the McDonald's business model and they said hmmm...we can do the same thing let's make a cheap plastic lawn mower that we can sell a few million of at Home Depot and Lowes....that was the beginning of JD's Mass Marketing, and in the last few years I've been seeing it with Kubota too. Thus, I decided to go away from Kubota and into a totally different line of work

when I said I see it with kubota, I mean that Kubota is pressuring small mom-and-pop dealers to improve the dealership, add space in a lot of cases, basically telling them hey you're too small we want you to spend a bunch of money so that WE can like your dealer, and if you don't, we're gonna make you stop selling our stuff. Exactly what Deere did. I went through it and saw it happening starting in the mid 1990's and finally the dealer I was at told Deere to stick it where the sun never shines; and they focused on Kubota. Now Kubota's doing it too. I don't like it (obviously). A small mom-and-pop dealer is able to give a thousand times better customer service in most cases because they know that reputation is EVERYTHING; whereas a larger (chain) dealership(s) can move a lot more equipment and bigger equipment in a lot of cases, which makes them a ton more money...but when an old man walks in the door of the dealer and says I want a lawn mower, the salespeople turn and walk off hovering over the phone so that they can sell an SVL95S with a mulch head....they make a LOT more on that than a lawn mower. Thus, the old man walks out the door and goes down to Home Depot and picks out the Deere he can stand to use, and drives off with it. In comparison, a small dealer's sales guys typically value EVERY customer regardless of the type equipment. I have seen this happen, and even as a shop maggott myself, I found that when the dealer I was working at for almost 30 years got bought out by a large corporation, they place a whole lot more focus on big stuff and big money than they do on the little stuff. It's sad to see but it's the way things go.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I do as well Lugbolt. I know all about the cost of doing business, the licensing, the taxes and the paperwork, not including the built in overheads. we actually have 2 LLC's, One is the farm, the other is the machine and fab shop.

I get my AP's from a couple sources besides the local AP store. I use Rock and iA Auto as well and I always comparison shop and factor in ship costs, nice thing about the Net, you can do that.

Pardon my dust but I feel a price differential of 3 bucks each versus 54 bucks each for the identical part is a bit over the top and I'm sure (because I know the owner of my local Kubota dealer personally and have for decades) that he probably marked up that part at most 10%.

In retrospect, I had no idea what the issue was until Dennis (his lead mechanic and the fellow who works on my Kubota's and we both shoot at the same sportsman's club) told me so I ordered the relay on the spot before I perused the net at all and I did not know the actual part number of the relay until I PHYSICALLY has the part in hand. How I crossed it to the 3 buck identical relay at Rock.

So, I have one really expensive relay and one identical cheap relay and one in the relay carrier under the removed roof and one dud that I tossed.

Interestingly, if I had not ordered the EXPENSIVE one from Kubota and pulled the roof to access the shot relay, I still would not have been able to cross it with anything as the shot relay I took out of the relay bank was DEVOID of any marking. In fact it was not even marked Nissan on the top. Nothing to indicate part number or manufacturer on it.

May return it, may not. If I do, I expect a restock charge, no issue and I'll take a credit on future parts purchases, works for me. My cab tractor needs to go in anyway for a valve adjustment and injector pop off test. I'll do that at their convenience this winter during their slow time.

I ordered a spare Parker sensor for my round baler when I ordered up the relay and the Parker variable resistance sensor was even more than the Kubota relay. I typically run about a grand a month bill at my dealer anyway. He handles not only Kubota, but New Holland and I have New Holland hay tools.

Price of doing business.