Will the filter leak?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Dumb question, if I take a water filter and put it right before the tap on the hot water side as well as the cold will the heat make the casing fail? It says on the casing it's rated to function at up to 38c but I assume it means the filter cartridge will come apart after this. My plan was to put carbon filters on both lines. It's uv treated lake water as the source.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it will fail!
You can not use a plastic canister filter on a hot water line, there is a stainless one that you can use, but its real expensive.
Also carbon filters do not do well with hot water either.

Use a big whole house carbon filter before the hot water tank on on the feed line to the entire house.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Yes it will fail!
You can not use a plastic canister filter on a hot water line, there is a stainless one that you can use, but its real expensive.
Also carbon filters do not do well with hot water either.

Use a big whole house carbon filter before the hot water tank on on the feed line to the entire house.
I can't put carbon on the main line. It's too much flow restriction, hmmm

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
As NIW suggested, a whole house water filter would be your best solution. Here is the one that I bought from Lowes for less than $300.00. The footprint is very small. It is programmable and it works very well. There are others out there that probably do a good job so just choose the one that you like the best.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Tho
As NIW suggested, a whole house water filter would be your best solution. Here is the one that I bought from Lowes for less than $300.00. The footprint is very small. It is programmable and it works very well. There are others out there that probably do a good job so just choose the one that you like the best.

Thoes look decent actually, around here most people on lakes just buy water for drinking and use one of thoes big blue filters for dirt. Waters still tinted brown at varying degrees but it's fine and atleast around here does not stain. But even the big blue filters only pass 3-5GPM with a carbon cartridge so fine for smaller homes but not a big family. Well water around here is wildly variable, on the farm we have 2 wells, 100ft casing and 350ft total depth, water is as pure as you can get. Go to our rentals about 1km away and the bedrock is closer to the surface (farms on a hill too) the wells down on that level have like 10x capacity but have so much iron in them that a water softener can only take out some of it but everything still stains orange. So down in these areas people are better off to go from the lake or stream and use UV.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Tho

Thoes look decent actually, around here most people on lakes just buy water for drinking and use one of thoes big blue filters for dirt. Waters still tinted brown at varying degrees but it's fine and atleast around here does not stain. But even the big blue filters only pass 3-5GPM with a carbon cartridge so fine for smaller homes but not a big family. Well water around here is wildly variable, on the farm we have 2 wells, 100ft casing and 350ft total depth, water is as pure as you can get. Go to our rentals about 1km away and the bedrock is closer to the surface (farms on a hill too) the wells down on that level have like 10x capacity but have so much iron in them that a water softener can only take out some of it but everything still stains orange. So down in these areas people are better off to go from the lake or stream and use UV.
The one that I posted can regenerate as often as every day if you program it that way. It even has a vacation mode to prevent it from back-washing while you are away. There is also a bypass if for some reason you want to bypass the filter. I had a Culligan water softener and filtration system before this one. That Culligan system controller quit working and they wanted to replace the whole system for almost $3000.00. They said the controller was no longer available. That is why I started looking for other systems. The Whirlpool one was not only 1/10th the price of the Culligan one, it works better than the Culligan one did. The Whirlpool system does not have a water softener but I don't need one. My water is soft enough without the extra equipment.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
The one that I posted can regenerate as often as every day if you program it that way. It even has a vacation mode to prevent it from back-washing while you are away. There is also a bypass if for some reason you want to bypass the filter. I had a Culligan water softener and filtration system before this one. That Culligan system controller quit working and they wanted to replace the whole system for almost $3000.00. They said the controller was no longer available. That is why I started looking for other systems. The Whirlpool one was not only 1/10th the price of the Culligan one, it works better than the Culligan one did. The Whirlpool system does not have a water softener but I don't need one. My water is soft enough without the extra equipment.
Yea I don't need one either in this case, they say all that salt can be bad for you and the environment as well. I don't think they were intended for use in really really high iron situations because you end up with alot of salt.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Actually wait.... most water use is cold so I may be able to put a filter on the feed too the hot water
If you can’t get sufficient flow with one filter that’s exactly how you filter hot and cold separately to increase overall filter capacity; filter the hot on the input side while it’s still cold.

Unless the water stinks (some in this area smells of sulphur), it’s kind of rare to really need to carbon filter it for bathing (which takes a lot of water). You might consider putting a whole house filter (or two if needed) for primary filtration and use carbon filters on faucets and refrigerators where you’d be getting drinking water.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
If you can’t get sufficient flow with one filter that’s exactly how you filter hot and cold separately to increase overall filter capacity; filter the hot on the input side while it’s still cold.

Unless the water stinks (some in this area smells of sulphur), it’s kind of rare to really need to carbon filter it for bathing (which takes a lot of water). You might consider putting a whole house filter (or two if needed) for primary filtration and use carbon filters on faucets and refrigerators where you’d be getting drinking water.
Water has no smell, luckily or that gets more difficult. I don't plan to filter bathing water anymore than the primary filtration (not carbon or anything to fine) I think between the two of you I have a plan

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dumb question, if I take a water filter and put it right before the tap on the hot water side as well as the cold will the heat make the casing fail? It says on the casing it's rated to function at up to 38c but I assume it means the filter cartridge will come apart after this. My plan was to put carbon filters on both lines. It's uv treated lake water as the source.
It's been many years since I dealt with water systems.

If this is your own lake water UV treatment system?

If so, it will likely not reliably treat Giardia, Cryptosporidium, or a bunch of other parasites common to surface (lake, spring, or steam) waters. If you're looking install cartridge filters, the UV's efficacy on bacteria my be questionable too..

UV systems are proven effective for low-mineral content groundwaters for bacteria....not so much for cyst-producing parasites on surface waters.

Chlorination is not entirely effective for these organisms either, but can do so with extended contact time over bacterial disinfection.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the filters, but I wouldn't drink any water in the house if I'm correct in my assessment......

That said, any filtration or treatment should serve the whole house. Not portions of it. In my many years, I never saw a filtration system dedicated to only the hot water side....

I grew up on a spring-fed house supplied by a 300-yard lead pipe for 22 years...I had to pull frogs, snakes, and dead mice from the spring house. As my Dad said, "it's clear and cold..." You can't see the little critters I worry about now, as they're all microscopic and have no color or odor.

I dealt with girl twins with chronic giardia infections many years ago...about 4 years old.

Came from their spring feeding the house. The tech at the lab said their water sample had "creepy crawlies that gave me the ebby-gebbies" when she poured it through the membrane filter...

One looked 4, the other 2+. The little one couldn't kick the giardia, and had a "failure to thrive" condition going on.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Only trying to give you the information you should know as you move forward.

Last edited:

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada

If so, it will likely not reliably treat Giardia, Cryptosporidium, or a bunch of other parasites common to surface (lake, spring, or steam) waters. If you're looking install cartridge filters, the UV's efficacy on bacteria my be questionable too..

UV systems are proven effective for low-mineral content groundwaters for bacteria....not so much for cyst-producing parasites on surface waters.

Chlorination is not entirely effective for these organisms either, but can do so with extended contact time over bacterial disinfection.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the filters, but I wouldn't drink any water in the house if I'm correct in my assessment......

That said, any filtration or treatment should serve the whole house. Not portions of it. In my many years, I never saw a filtration system dedicated to only the hot water side....

I grew up on a spring-fed house supplied by a 300-yard lead pipe for 22 years...I had to pull frogs, snakes, and dead mice from the spring house. As my Dad said, "it's clear and cold..." You can't see the little critters I worry about now, as they're all microscopic and have no color or odor.

I dealt with girl twins with chronic giardia infections many years ago...about 4 years old.

Came from their spring feeding the house. The tech at the lab said their water sample had "creepy crawlies that gave me the ebby-gebbies" when she poured it through the membrane filter...

One looked 4, the other 2+. The little one couldn't kick the giardia, and had a "failure to thrive" condition going on.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Only trying to give you the information you should know as you move forward.
It is just different levels of filtration and sections of filtration so theres not as much restrictions on the main line. Around here tons of people use UV on the lake water and the lake feeding the stream that this gets water from is used for the town water as well. But the ones who use the UV on this water source get water that tests clear. But thanks for the information, I was pretty sure UV wouldn't work in all cases depending on the organisms present.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada

Also the main filters are before the UV as it's supposed to be, only carbon cartridges after the UV. Multiple carbon filters as they restrict flow alot so as it splits off to different sections of the building each section has it's own filter. Hot water tank inlet just has 1 as hot water is less demand than cold.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Myself I would buy water for drinking since depending on the location it can taste odd. This one dosen't because it's flowing water rather than sitting. Drilled wells are a roll the dice anywhare near the lake though, alot of them you could probably get enough iron out of the water to start a steel manufacturing plant.