Trouble shooting L1720 loader jerky w/ external pump

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Howdy, I'm hoping for some trouble shooting expertise on why my loader hydraulics has become too jerky to operate. The loader is the L1720 made for the L345 and L345DT. It has the external pump reservoir mounted on the left side of the loader frame.

This has the external pump driven by the crankshaft on the front of the L345DT. While I was rebuilding the tractor I also replaced the filter on the loader hydraulic system. The loader was basically idle for almost a year with the loader frame blocked and loader arms extended and blocked in the upward position for access to splitting the tractor and removing the engine.

After I got the tractor running again I added some Cam2 JC20-C tractor hydraulic fluid to the correct level. The loader worked fine during the tractor break in runs. Last week I started moving snow that had been plowed in front of my gooseneck trailer. The loader worked fine for about forty five minutes of moving snow and then it started to shudder or be jerky while lifting the bucket or curling the bucket upward. Lowering or uncurling the bucket works fine.

I have looked at the trouble shooting part of the L1720 manual and under jerky operations it mentions being cold (not the problem) or air in the lines; cracked or collapsed hose on intake; oil level in tank (okay); poor oil circulation (I unscrewed the filter and cleaned up the mess); leak in intake hose (I do not see any oil leaks and the hose doesn't look cracked) (however, the hose between the valve body and filter doesn't leak but is very cracked)

The manual also talks about not mixing different brands of oils. I have no idea of what type of oil was originally in the tank, but it doesn't seem this is likely to be the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Replace any cracked lines, its air getting into system.air can get in where oil can not leak out, if its to inlet of pump it would be under negative pressure- pulling air in.

Last edited: