TG1860: Engine stalls while mowing backward

striggi

Equipment
TG1860G
Aug 25, 2015
Essex,VT,USA
Well bought this old TG1860G (probably 2000 - can I find out from serial number ?) with a 54" deck and love the power steering. But while the PTO engaged and trying to go a little bit backwards the engine stalls. Dealer said it's a safety feature. Is that true ?
It sort of is annoying, if you have to mow in all your yard's nooks and crannies.
Maybe should buy an operating manual. Came with nothing. Just the bear machine and it's my first Kubota. Always dreamed of one. Now starting small. Maybe upgrade to a L3240.

Last edited:

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
Re: TG1860: Engine stalls while mowing backward:Engine stall while mowing backwards

Yes, most all lawn mowers that I am aware of that have been built in the last 20 years (MTD brands like Yard Machine, Craftsman, Murray, etc.) have this feature. Put in rverse with the blades engaged and the safety switch kills the engine.

Find the switch and bypass it. On most lawn mowers it is an easy fix.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Re: TG1860: Engine stalls while mowing backward:Engine stall while mowing backwards

You may well have a hidden switch for that purpose.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada

some have a push button temporary bypass for each time you need to reverse.
some mowers have a position on ignition switch for bypassing that feature.i know how much of a nuisance it can be.