SVL 90-2 Chugging Under Load

TektonCNY

Equipment
2016 Kubota SVL 90-2, 2019 SSV 75, 2016 BX2360, 2010 BX1800
Jan 21, 2021
Durhamville, NY
Hey all! I have had this machine now for three years. Bought it with 300 hrs and now just clicked over a 1000. This machine truly has been babied and maintained very well. It gets used for basic construction work in the summer but plows snow in a couple commercial lots in the winter. During this time it’s been in and out of the dealer shop for a bunch of things some normal some serious. Most of the time it was DPF related issues and finally after 4-5 cleanings was just replaced it within the last 75 hrs. Sensor issues related to oil pressure because something freezes in the dpf/oil system. Temperature problems. All of the, usually throws some kind of code. Now I think the issue at hand is fuel related, but no codes at all. It’s starts just fine and can idle on high with no noticeable change, but as soon as it drives or actuate any hydraulics the engine bogs down and sputters then recovers and repeat. We had issues in the past with the fuel water separator. We drain it and clean it then usually solves the problem. Not this instance though. So got a union and bypassed the filter hoping the elbows were dirty and again no change. We had the tech out and he said there was erratic flow in the fuel system which was due to the flow control valve. Replaced it and it corrected the readings on the fuel rail, but still skips and sputters under load. The fuel pressure readings are all good and reading as they should. We don’t think there’s an issue with gelling because it hasn’t been cold enough. Even still we’ve been adding fuel additive every fill up, and the filter has less than 50 hrs on it. Needless to say we ordered a new one just in case. Should be in tomorrow. The tech says the only thing that can be the problem is the injectors. Now I’m not denying that very well could be the issue, but I take everything the service departments say with grain of salt. I am just continually surprised with the amount of things I have had to replace on a machine with such little hours on it. If you have any light you can shed on this it would be greatly appreciated and if you’ve had similar issues please share. Thanks for your help!

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Just curious, when it sputters what does the exhaust do? Black sooty exhaust, white, clear? From reading this it sounds like the hydraulics need a close examination. Hydraulics could be dead heading somewhere. Do they work fine when not moving? Can the loader lift the machine? Have you tried moving one drive motor one side at a time to see if that changes anything? I doubt injector problems. I would check the lift pump to make sure its got adequate flow.

Last edited:

TektonCNY

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Durhamville, NY
Just curious, when it sputters what does the exhaust do? Black sooty exhaust, white, clear? From reading this it sounds like the hydraulics need a close examination. Hydraulics could be dead heading somewhere. Do they work fine when not moving? Can the loader lift the machine? Have you tried moving one drive motor one side at a time to see if that changes anything? I doubt injector problems. I would check the lift pump to make sure its got adequate flow.
Thanks for your help. No there is no smoke white or black. I have not tried to lift the machine but we have loaded salt in our trucks with it like this. It sputters as soon as you move anything hydraulic. I will try the things you suggested and we’ll see what happens. Thanks

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What you have described sounds like a common fuel supply restriction problem.

Remove the OUTLET hose from the fuel filter head, put a 4-foot long piece of hose on the OUTLET nipple so you can hang it over a bucket, and watch the fuel flow. Turn the Key Switch to the RUN position, and watch the fuel flow. It should have a full stream with a slight pulse to it. You should be able to fill a 12-ounce pop bottle in 10 - 11 seconds.

If it does not have enough flow, remove the OUTLET hose from the electric fuel lift pump, move the test hose to that nipple, and retest. If the flow has increased, you have a restricted filter or filter head.

If you still do not have enough flow, remove the INLET hose from the water separator and hang it out of the cleanout opening (after removing the cover plate), and see that you have a good full stream flowing from there.

If it still has a weak flow, remove the fuel fill cap and blow through the supply hose into the fuel tank with an air hose. If the flow then increases, you have debris in the tank. If you have a good flow from the tank to the separator, remove and disassemble the separator. Clean the separator and blow backward through the INLET elbow and shut off. I have found many units that had debris in the elbow and or the shutoff valve.

There is a Fuel Filter Upgrade kit for your machine, part number V0621-9860 that you should install. See the pdf below.
Look at the lift pump, and see if it has a removable plate on the end. If it does, there is a very fine mesh screen under the plate.

Attachments

TektonCNY

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Durhamville, NY
Thanks for your help. It looks like I’ve got my work cut out for me In the morning. I’m thinking the issue is not in the separator as we bypassed it when we were doing our initial tests with no change in performance. Either way though we will do the tests you suggested and let you know what we come up with. Thank you!

TektonCNY

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Durhamville, NY

Remove the OUTLET hose from the fuel filter head, put a 4-foot long piece of hose on the OUTLET nipple so you can hang it over a bucket, and watch the fuel flow. Turn the Key Switch to the RUN position, and watch the fuel flow. It should have a full stream with a slight pulse to it. You should be able to fill a 12-ounce pop bottle in 10 - 11 seconds.

If it does not have enough flow, remove the OUTLET hose from the electric fuel lift pump, move the test hose to that nipple, and retest. If the flow has increased, you have a restricted filter or filter head.

If you still do not have enough flow, remove the INLET hose from the water separator and hang it out of the cleanout opening (after removing the cover plate), and see that you have a good full stream flowing from there.

If it still has a weak flow, remove the fuel fill cap and blow through the supply hose into the fuel tank with an air hose. If the flow then increases, you have debris in the tank. If you have a good flow from the tank to the separator, remove and disassemble the separator. Clean the separator and blow backward through the INLET elbow and shut off. I have found many units that had debris in the elbow and or the shutoff valve.

There is a Fuel Filter Upgrade kit for your machine, part number V0621-9860 that you should install. See the pdf below.
Look at the lift pump, and see if it has a removable plate on the end. If it does, there is a very fine mesh screen under the plate.
Hi there, so my dealer is having trouble finding that upgrade kit and consequently has no info on it. Shocker...What makes that upgrade kit better?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hi there, so my dealer is having trouble finding that upgrade kit and consequently has no info on it. Shocker...What makes that upgrade kit better?
Tell your dealer to look up PSB-2019-094, have him print it off, and let you read it.
The kit adds much-increased fuel filtration while adding a filter to the water separator rather than a screen.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

Thats some wonderful advice. Love this website.Thanks

TektonCNY

Equipment
Jan 21, 2021
Durhamville, NY
Thank you guys for all your help and advice. We did do all the tests you suggested and the flow in and out of the fuel filter and was barely a trickle coming out. Replaced the filter and it runs great now. I guess with the luck I usually have I was expecting the problem to be much more involved. I am so glad we didn’t let the dealer go any further because they were ready to order all new injectors. Makes me wonder how many more needless parts I paid them to replace...
Any how. So before they thought it was the injectors they said it was the flow control valve causing the problem because the readings were all over the place. Do you think it’s possible that the fact that the Fuel filter was plugged that it would have throw the readings off in the same way?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Thank you guys for all your help and advice. We did do all the tests you suggested and the flow in and out of the fuel filter and was barely a trickle coming out. Replaced the filter and it runs great now. I guess with the luck I usually have I was expecting the problem to be much more involved. I am so glad we didn’t let the dealer go any further because they were ready to order all new injectors. Makes me wonder how many more needless parts I paid them to replace...
Any how. So before they thought it was the injectors they said it was the flow control valve causing the problem because the readings were all over the place. Do you think it’s possible that the fact that the Fuel filter was plugged that it would have throw the readings off in the same way?
Yes, the readings will be off. If there is not enough flow from the filter that the supply pump is being starved, it has nothing to pump to build pressure for the common rail system.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
thanks for posting the solution. I am inexperienced with construction so every ounce of information i can get is stored. When I left the dealer, I did so because of construction equip (well that and other things)....I am just too tall and lanky to fit in the little bitty areas that i was expected to work in, and my boss was less than understanding. I didn't leave because of the equipment I left because of the boss. Just wish I knew more about construction equipment.