Storing a diesel tractor

jriz65

Equipment
B2650,MMM,FEL, EA Pine straw rake, Bush Hog SQ148 cutter, LP 72" Rake, EA 55"Roo
Apr 11, 2012
Orchard Park,NY
This will be my first winter storing my BX 2360 in a covered garage. I'm not going to be running the tractor so I'm pulling the battery and keeping it on a battery tender, I will top off the diesel fuel and is there any additive like Sta-Bil that I should add? Tks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welcome jirz, to orange country,,, Well first off I have to assume your headed to where its warm for the winter, and not going to play in the snow so A fuel stablizer in a full tank would be a good Idea I think stabil makes one for diesel, and the tender is good I have mine hooked up all the time when not in use. Mice love to get into things stored for long periods and chew wires,,,dont ask,,, Other wise I cant think of anything else you need to do,, Just know this,, them little orange things like to go out and play in the snow too:D

Sledge

Equipment
B7001, Big B 4ft topper
Sep 17, 2012
Gloucestershire UK
My experience with combine harvesters tells me rodents like to get into dark places over winter, we always took off any removable side panels and propped others open. So don't be tempted to sheet up when it's indoors; I'm going to store my Kubby with the hood up (also battery removed, antifreeze topped up and fuel tank full as discussed).

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Before it's stored is a good time to do a service on it so it doesn't sit all winter with all the contaminants in the engine oil. Make sure to check the antifreeze and filling the tank with fuel like you said will be a huge benefit when it comes to keeping moisture out of your fuel. I prefer to store a machine ready to run instead of being in need of service before use the next year.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I usually just turn the key off and walk away, but fuel stabilizer and a battery tender are a good idea. We usually have about $400,000 worth of John Deere tractors in our barn where our renters store them and they do theirs the way I do mine.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I usually just turn the key off and walk away, but fuel stabilizer and a battery tender are a good idea. We usually have about $400,000 worth of John Deere tractors in our barn where our renters store them and they do theirs the way I do mine.

I'm dying to find out what exactly is it you do to have soooo many toys??

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'm dying to find out what exactly is it you do to have soooo many toys??
Oh, I don't have the $400,000 worth of John Deeres, they just park them in our barn and let me look at them.:)

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Before it's stored is a good time to do a service on it so it doesn't sit all winter with all the contaminants in the engine oil.
Phil has good advise, the contaminates from this years use from the burned fuel combined with condensation that will form over the winter will make an acidic cocktail while sitting. Not a good mix to leave in the crankcase and all those other little nook and crannies of your precious orange tractor. Just cheap insurance, no since running that even for short time in the spring until you get the oil changed. YUCK!!!

jriz65

Equipment
B2650,MMM,FEL, EA Pine straw rake, Bush Hog SQ148 cutter, LP 72" Rake, EA 55"Roo
Apr 11, 2012
Orchard Park,NY
Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated:):

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you do happen to leave mice traps or whatever, leave yourself a note somewhere on the tractor in plain sight. Like tape a note on the steering wheel. I'd hate to hear you come back to us in the spring with a trashed motor because you forgot a trap.

I'd say stick D-con poison around your garage to keep the mice and rats down.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
years use from the burned fuel combined with condensation that will form over the winter will make an acidic cocktail while sitting. [/SIZE]
Acidic oil was caused by sulfur in fuel oil migrating to the crankcase oil and converting to sulfuric acid. The diesel now sold for on or off road is for all intents and purposes sulfur free and crankcase oil no longer becomes corrosive to engine parts.

Marine fuel can still contain 1000 parts per million sulfur but over the road and equipment fuel is limited to 15ppm. God only knows how much sulfur was in "old time" fuel. There is no question that fuel would eat bearing journals unless oil was changed frequently.

That said, it just seems like a good idea to service fluids before laying the machine up for a considerable length of time.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Sta-Bil is labeled for diesel use. Also consider slugging it with Sea Foam and Stanadyne.

You might also track down a marine engine fuel additive used in diesel boats for storage in marinas during winter months. Sta-Bil makes one for such use.

After adding any fuel additive run machine at high rpms for 15-minutes or more to mix fuel and get it distributed. Then top off tank.

MICE: Declare war. Get a dozen boxes of Mouse-Pruf or similar poduct and follow directions how to open the boxes for best baiting and set them all over inside and around the machine. Give the little guys plenty of opportunity to avoid your wiring. In our rural area it's a constant battle. All our trucks and tractors have riding aboard at least four boxes each changed monthly wedged all over the engine compartment.

Note concerning cats: asked vet about cat being poisoned by dead mouse. Said by time mouse dies its liver has metabolized the poison such that will not harm cat or other member of local food chain. Feed a dozen barn cats around the place and never had one get sick or die from ex-mouse (have seen them playing with used mice more than once).