Steering slack

Billy13

Equipment
L2250, B8200
Feb 2, 2011
Choctaw, OK & Boardcamp, AR
Steering timing

I put in a new ballnut and shaft my B8200. I can once again herd it from the drivers seat. But I have good bit (about 6-7 inches) of steering wheel play. I tried the adjusting screw on the end of the selector shaft with little effect. I don't mind it that much since I never drive it on the freeway but I do not want it to break again from a mal-adjustment.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have excessive slack that you can't remove with the adjustment, I would think that you have something wrong in the rebuild.
It will do damage to the gears if it has too much slack.;)

Billy13

Equipment
L2250, B8200
Feb 2, 2011
I read the post on centering the steering gear to late. The following is what I did.

With the pitman arm unattached, turn the front wheels full left. Rotate sector shaft so gears at the limit in the steering box for a left turn. Move nut on gear to uppermost travel. Engage first tooth of nut gear between first and second tooth of sector shaft.
I may have some of the “left and right” wrong in this description, but the idea is to assure one direction of travel on the sector shaft gear is at its maximum and the nut is at it maximum while maintaining gear engagement when the wheels are turned at their maximum and then attach the pitman arm.
I figured if the left turn was “bottomed out”, the right turn should be ok.

Wha'cha think?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you got the center right or at least close.
If you can turn the wheels same amount from side to side your good to go there.
What I'm wondering or worried about is excessive steering wheel play, If the gears are not meshed completely that can cause some problems.
Also check that the ball joints are not worn too, that will add to steering wheel play.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Couple of dumb questions:

Have you checked to see if the ball bearings have come out of the tubes? That could be causing your slack... I'm suspicious as I've read about the tubes bursting if the alignment isn't correct.

The reason I ask is your comment about the adjustment not helping. Were you able to tighten the adjustment screw so it contacted the gear on the inside? Still no difference at all?

Billy13

Equipment
L2250, B8200
Feb 2, 2011
Couple of dumb questions:

Have you checked to see if the ball bearings have come out of the tubes? That could be causing your slack... I'm suspicious as I've read about the tubes bursting if the alignment isn't correct.

The reason I ask is your comment about the adjustment not helping. Were you able to tighten the adjustment screw so it contacted the gear on the inside? Still no difference at all?
The unit is a new one so I don't think any ball bearings have come out.

When I assembled the box I was able to see the gears of the sector shaft being engaged by the comp nut.

Now that I think about it, the screw adjustment does not move the gears closer, it only moves the sector gear left or right.

Billy13

Equipment
L2250, B8200
Feb 2, 2011
FIXED!
I had failed to properly tighten the steering column:eek:. A couple of turns are all that was needed. I now have about 1.5" of slack.

Thanks for all the advice and making me think.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Gotta love it when it's that easy! Glad it wasn't anything more serious.

Now go have some fun!!!!!

Steve :D