Smoky L2501

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Picked up a 2018 L2501 w/20 hrs on it a few months ago. Runs great, but has always seemed quite smoky in comparison to my old BX25D. I know this engine is nearly twice the displacement, so I expected more smoke and smell, but it still seems fairly heavy. I hadn't run it really hard for any extended period of time prior to this weekend, and thought it may just clear up with some heavy load and the exhaust heating up. Did heavy loader work grading for 6 hours yesterday and 9 hours today nonstop, and no change. It still runs great, and I'm at 55 hours now with no appreciable change in oil level on the stick.

I have no reason to believe the previous owner messed with the injectors or timing.

I've come across other posts as well of folks complaining of the smell and smoke from L2501's and plenty of other saying theirs is just fine.

Wonder if these are leaving the factory set up a bit different, or if some people just notice it more. If I knew for sure it was supposed to be like this, I'd quit thinking about it and just enjoy it, but I don't want to ignore it and have issues down the road either.

The smoke generally isn't visible during daylight except during starting and when you increase the revs, or they pull down under heavy load, but you can usually smell it. At night, with my LED rops lights on, you can pretty much always see smoke.

Thx for readin.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I notice the smell far more with my L2501 than i ever did with my old Mitsubishi. I just thought it was because the exhaust was low and exited ahead of the operator. I even contemplated moving the exhaust to a point behind the operator. Going straight up like the Mitsubishi is probably not an option. I haven't run it at night - that is more likely to happen if it happens to snow this year.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Maybe suggest running some power service fuel products in the tank and see if it helps. Sometimes the fuel is more of the problem more than the tractors. When my tractor gets grumpy, i run PS products in them and it straightens them right out. Make sure you`re changing the fuel filters often.

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
Maybe suggest running some power service fuel products in the tank and see if it helps. Sometimes the fuel is more of the problem more than the tractors. When my tractor gets grumpy, i run PS products in them and it straightens them right out. Make sure you`re changing the fuel filters often.
I was thinking the same thing. I just bought an L2501 recently. It was a 4 year old leftover with a full tank of fuel and 2.7 hours on it. I've been running it some, I have about 9 hours on it now and noticed it's a little stinky/smokey but I don't want to get too excited about it until I put a full tank of fresh fuel in it.

Reactions: 1 user

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I was thinking the same thing. I just bought an L2501 recently. It was a 4 year old leftover with a full tank of fuel and 2.7 hours on it. I've been running it some, I have about 9 hours on it now and noticed it's a little stinky/smokey but I don't want to get too excited about it until I put a full tank of fresh fuel in it.
First thing i would have done when i bought it, is remove all the old fuel before even starting the tractor, clean out the tank, and then replace the filters, purge the complete system with the fresh fuel with PS cleaner. Then i would have changed the filters again right after the first tank of clean fresh fuel had been run thru it.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
First thing i would have done when i bought it, is remove all the old fuel before even starting the tractor, clean out the tank, and then replace the filters, purge the complete system with the fresh fuel with PS cleaner. Then i would have changed the filters again right after the first tank of clean fresh fuel had been run thru it.
That sounds like good advice, it's too late to remove the old fuel since I already used it but which PS should I use to clean it? I'll try changing out the filters too. Mine has the same issue that the OP's does. It doesn't smoke at idle but smokes when I rev it up and smokes at the rated pto rpm. It's especially noticeable at night.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
That sounds like good advice, it's too late to remove the old fuel since I already used it but which PS should I use to clean it? I'll try changing out the filters too. Mine has the same issue that the OP's does. It doesn't smoke at idle but smokes when I rev it up and smokes at the rated pto rpm. It's especially noticeable at night.
Try using this

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Will do, thanks!
You`re welcome. I hope it helps your situation ;)
It has always worked very well for our tractors. Since we started using it, we`ve had ZERO problems.

Once you`ve got the complete system cleaned:

Use this one in the summer months

Use this one in the winter months

I use this one a couple times of year to make sure the complete system stays clean
fuel-tank-cleaner/

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Just some food for thought - If a big diesel company endorses PS, the product is likely doing its job.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
You`re welcome. I hope it helps your situation ;)
It has always worked very well for our tractors. Since we started using it, we`ve had ZERO problems.

Once you`ve got the complete system cleaned:

Use this one in the summer months

Use this one in the winter months

I use this one a couple times of year to make sure the complete system stays clean
fuel-tank-cleaner/
Thanks, I found some of the Clear-Diesel at O'Reilly's today and I also have the one for winter months as well. I'll top off the tank with treated fuel. I plan on getting a filter next time I drive by the local dealership too. It's supposed to snow tomorrow night so I'll be able to get some seat time.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Thanks, I found some of the Clear-Diesel at O'Reilly's today and I also have the one for winter months as well. I'll top off the tank with treated fuel. I plan on getting a filter next time I drive by the local dealership too. It's supposed to snow tomorrow night so I'll be able to get some seat time.
Excellent! Get a few extra filters, you`ll likely need them.

Be sure to give it some time to clean everything out after adding the additives. Hopefully this will help your problem. Could be some junk built up and just needs a GOOD cleaning out. Likely need to keep treating it thru winter with the cleaner... i would if it were my situation. Years of build up does not disappear just in a couple tank refills.

Let us know how it works out.

;)

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Picked up a 2018 L2501 w/20 hrs on it a few months ago. Runs great, but has always seemed quite smoky in comparison to my old BX25D. I know this engine is nearly twice the displacement, so I expected more smoke and smell, but it still seems fairly heavy. I hadn't run it really hard for any extended period of time prior to this weekend, and thought it may just clear up with some heavy load and the exhaust heating up. Did heavy loader work grading for 6 hours yesterday and 9 hours today nonstop, and no change. It still runs great, and I'm at 55 hours now with no appreciable change in oil level on the stick.

I have no reason to believe the previous owner messed with the injectors or timing.

I've come across other posts as well of folks complaining of the smell and smoke from L2501's and plenty of other saying theirs is just fine.

Wonder if these are leaving the factory set up a bit different, or if some people just notice it more. If I knew for sure it was supposed to be like this, I'd quit thinking about it and just enjoy it, but I don't want to ignore it and have issues down the road either.

The smoke generally isn't visible during daylight except during starting and when you increase the revs, or they pull down under heavy load, but you can usually smell it. At night, with my LED rops lights on, you can pretty much always see smoke.

Thx for readin.
How are you making out in your situation ???

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
Excellent! Get a few extra filters, you`ll likely need them.

Be sure to give it some time to clean everything out after adding the additives. Hopefully this will help your problem. Could be some junk built up and just needs a GOOD cleaning out. Likely need to keep treating it thru winter with the cleaner... i would if it were my situation. Years of build up does not disappear just in a couple tank refills.

Let us know how it works out.

;)
I'll keep you posted, and I'll definitely keep treating my fuel. This was a 4 year old leftover with 2.7 hours on it when I got it so all it did was sit outside during that time which isn't the best for anything with a motor in it. Luckily I got it really cheap so I don't mind having to play with it a little.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i really shouldn't comment further than i already did but here goes

l2501 don't have a dpf, or doc, nor is it a big road diesel engine

it stinks and it's noisy those are my biggest complaints with that tractor

l3301 has basically no diesel fumes so you can run it longer in confined areas or areas with no wind (like around here in the summer) and it won't make you nauseous with the old diesel engine stench

they still all give off carbon monoxide which is poisonous and odorless so keep that in mind, don't go sniffing the exhaust trying to smell CO cause it can kill you dead. I know. I was dead once from CO inhalation. No, seriously, no heartbeat and vitals were not good when I arrived lifelessly and limp at hospital in the back seat of my uncle's caddy. Dr told them there was a very slim chance of revival obviously it worked out ok, but still have some issues from it; that was over 40 years ago. thankfully I do not remember most of it, or much before that.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
i really shouldn't comment further than i already did but here goes

l2501 don't have a dpf, or doc, nor is it a big road diesel engine

it stinks and it's noisy those are my biggest complaints with that tractor

l3301 has basically no diesel fumes so you can run it longer in confined areas or areas with no wind (like around here in the summer) and it won't make you nauseous with the old diesel engine stench

they still all give off carbon monoxide which is poisonous and odorless so keep that in mind, don't go sniffing the exhaust trying to smell CO cause it can kill you dead. I know. I was dead once from CO inhalation. No, seriously, no heartbeat and vitals were not good when I arrived lifelessly and limp at hospital in the back seat of my uncle's caddy. Dr told them there was a very slim chance of revival obviously it worked out ok, but still have some issues from it; that was over 40 years ago. thankfully I do not remember most of it, or much before that.
Wowwwww, you`re lucky you were found in time! Glad you survived!

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
I know its a low hour motor, but im wondering if the valve adjustment is in spec. Had a smoky M series and all that cleared up after adjusting the valves.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
One detail you haven't mentioned is what color smoke are you complaining about. Is it whitish to grey or blue or black? Each has a different cause.