L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Rusteolum also makes a rusty metal etching primer in quart cans. You can brush on or spray on. It chemically attacks the rust and turns it in to a paintable surface. Just get a rust converter not just a sealer, there are many products on the market for this

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
There are tons of very strong opinions about the proper way to address this issue, but I've done exactly what you are doing, and I had really good results. I purchased a pretty rough L2550 with a lot of rust. I wire brushed the rusty areas and scuffed the surrounding paint with sand paper. Then, I sprayed the matte black Rustoleum Rust Converter on the frame and some other parts - including the wheels. Finally, I finished with the Kubota OEM rattle can Bright Orange, and I think it looks great. The Rustoleum went on super easy and even, and the Kubota paint looks great; I know it's expensive, but I felt like it looks better and sprays on better than the Rustoleum gloss paints.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I used a product called Corroseal some years ago to treat some pitted rusty metal. It seems to react with the rust and then forms a hard smooth "lacquer" that can be painted.