ROPS Question

Copyrite1972

Equipment
L3901
Jan 6, 2021
Idaho
STOOOPID question. I have to lower my ROPS on my L3901 quite often to get in and out of my shop (Long story) It is some times a pain in the backside to get the bolts in and out. I was wondering about replacing the bolts with pins to make it quicker and easier to raise/lower my ROPS.

I welcome your thought.

Thanks!

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
STOOOPID question. I have to lower my ROPS on my L3901 quite often to get in and out of my shop (Long story) It is some times a pain in the backside to get the bolts in and out. I was wondering about replacing the bolts with pins to make it quicker and easier to raise/lower my ROPS.

I welcome your thought.

Thanks!
There was a forum discussion on this just the other day. Someone fashioned pins to replace the bolts. Maybe try to find that..maybe he will repost them here.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If I did that I would probably use grade 8 bolts, long ones with enough unthreaded length to pass through, then cut off the threaded part and drill for a spring pin of some type.

Would not use anything less than grade 8 for safety...

I think there was thread here or at Tractorbynet where a guy did something like you want to do.

But I think he had his son machine the bolts so they remained the same size as original and were just reduced in size where they passed through the threaded part of the rops bracket.

Edit: aaluck wins the prize for fastest response!

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I think there was thread here or at Tractorbynet where a guy did something like you want to do.
Yes. It was here earlier this week I think. I looked but obviously off-topic because I can't fine the thread.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
I was getting tired of folding the ROPS on my B2601 so I took the top part above the hinge to a steel supplier that had an industrial power saw. They did a great job of cutting a nice square end just like the factory end was. Only needed 3" taken off the ROPS and now I clear the top of the door frame by just a small amount, but don't have to fold the ROPS anymore.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I got fed up with the 'sky high' ROPS on my BX23S so I made a 'shorty' version( 25"+-) so I can drive in and out of my garage all day long. Short enough to get into garage, tall enough to do BH work.
Original ROPS is collecting dust next to the 3PH kit.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
collecting dust next to the 3PH kit.
When I bought my BX it came with the 3 point kit ...... I was all excited to put that on, which of course meant I was taking the backhoe off!!! Well - like brother Jay - mine is STILL in the box, up in the shed trusses collecting dust, wonder how much dust is there after 7 1/2 years? May never know:p

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I got fed up with the 'sky high' ROPS on my BX23S so I made a 'shorty' version( 25"+-) so I can drive in and out of my garage all day long. Short enough to get into garage, tall enough to do BH work.
Original ROPS is collecting dust next to the 3PH kit.
In the end I also cut down my ROPS to get into the garage

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I "chased" the holes on mine which really didn't remove anything other than the slightly out of alignment edges. But of course that doesn't matter now because mine is now a 4 post.
IMG_7070.JPG

I love that lid over my head. (y)

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
This is what I'm talking about...

View attachment 53743
that is not the tread I remember. I remember the poster showing images of what his son modified for him to accomplish the goal.
Exactly what I remember. So we are either both suffering from mental illness or its here somewhere.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Mine came with pins, not bolts. They don't look to be particularly hard, but I could be wrong. They also have cute little springs that will launch across the yard when you pull the hairpin keepers. Not sure what the springs are about, but maybe Kubota didn't want the pins to rattle. I didn't really notice, and it took a while to find the first spring when I just taking the ROPS down to see how easy it was to do. I put my hand over the second one and caught it. I'm fairly quick to adapt. The hairpins are hanging on aircraft cable loops so I don't lose them, but that doesn't do much for the main pins, does it? (Afterthought) I took the ends of the aircraft cable retainers and threaded them through the eye of the main pins, so now have both secured. Can't do that with the springs and washers, though.

The only thing I would add to my ROPS would be some good thumb screws to stop the damn thing from rattling. I'm not sure why Kubota didn't realize that a rattling ROPS right next to the user's head would be ever so slightly annoying. Kinda weird actually, because they welded the nut there, but didn't put anything in it. Not sure why a thumbscrew in the nut would be an option instead of a feature. Then again, maybe addition of the thumbscrew just hasn't made it to the assembly instructions yet, and the poor folks in the factories and dealerships are wondering what to do with all those thumbscrews that seem to be accumulating.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OP, have a look at the ROPS for the BX23S. It's got pins and thumbscrews. Mine are in the back room with teh top of the ROPS.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Ya'll are sure complicating the ROPS problem. Explain to to the Wife , AKA " the bank ", how a new shop is needed with a taller door for safety so no alteration needed.

Reactions: 2 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Ya'll are sure complicating the ROPS problem. Explain to to the Wife , AKA " the bank ", how a new shop is needed with a taller door for safety so no alteration needed.
I hear you there. Had that exact discussion yesterday after dinner. Told the wife I needed to find a good welder to lower my ROPS so I don't mess up the door header and she said " Why don't you just get a 10 or 12' door when you build your shop? Followed by, " you want high ceilings so you can put in a lift righ?" She does listen!. Oh crap, she does listen...

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Just remind her, it's a safety issue! She doesn't want you to put your life in danger, does she?

Copyrite1972

Equipment
L3901
Jan 6, 2021
Idaho
Thanks for all the reply's! Looks like pins will work just fine. Figured so, just thought I'd like to hear it from you Fellers!

And 10' doors are also on the list!