Repacking Cylinders

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
Good afternoon, I have a Kubota L 4400 Hydro, with an LA 703 loader. This morning my bucket started failing to stay curled. I am thinking the cylinders need repacked? I was wondering if you guys could tell me what I need to buy, and a good source? Thanks very much.
loader info.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Seal kit - p/n 7J291-64400 - 2 reqd.

Looks like they are about $150 each. Might want to think about new cylinders at that price.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Seal kit - p/n 7J291-64400 - 2 reqd.

Looks like they are about $150 each. Might want to think about new cylinders at that price.

Dan
New kubota cylinders for the curl on my LA402 loader were $600 each, while a rebuild by a hydraulic shop was $100 each...

Just a data point.

I would probably take those cylinders to a hydraulic shop if I were the OP. Looking at the parts diagram for my cylinders I was amazed at how many seals/O-rings were used in them.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
New kubota cylinders for the curl on my LA402 loader were $600 each, while a rebuild by a hydraulic shop was $100 each...

Just a data point.

I would probably take those cylinders to a hydraulic shop if I were the OP. Looking at the parts diagram for my cylinders I was amazed at how many seals/O-rings were used in them.
I was not suggesting he buy Kubota cylinders. $150 per cylinder will go a long way in the aftermarket. Looking at the parts diagram for his loader the OEM cylinders are pretty simple.

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I was not suggesting he buy Kubota cylinders. $150 per cylinder will go a long way in the aftermarket. Looking at the parts diagram for his loader the OEM cylinders are pretty simple.

Dan
Might be simple to find exact after market cylinders for someone with know how/experience.

For me not so simple. I took the easy way out and have been totally satisfied with the rebuilt cylinders...probably at less dollars than after market ones would have cost, if I could have found them, after spending hours or maybe days (as an unexperienced amateur at this) trying to find an exact replacement...

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Might be simple to find exact after market cylinders for someone with know how/experience.

For me not so simple. I took the easy way out and have been totally satisfied with the rebuilt cylinders...probably at less dollars than after market ones would have cost, if I could have found them, after spending hours or maybe days (as an unexperienced amateur at this) trying to find an exact replacement...
If you got them rebuilt for under $300 you did fine. But not much know-how required to find new ones - lots of manufacturers providing cylinders for small loaders. Bore and stroke are in the owners manual - LA703 is 1.9 x 18.9. You just need to make sure the ends will fit the mounts on the bucket and arms. and the retracted length is close - here a couple real close matches that will likely drop right in on an LA703. Took me longer to find the bore and stroke for the loader than it took to find the cylinders:

Wol;verine Welded Loader Cylinder

Chief Welded Loader Cylinder

Dan

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
… - here a couple real close matches that will likely drop right in on an LA703. Took me longer to find the bore and stroke for the loader than it took to find the cylinders:

Wol;verine Welded Loader Cylinder

Chief Welded Loader Cylinder

Dan
They may be a good replacemen, do not know. But we have an expression locally “Close only counts in horse shoes”. 😀

Understand the need to make sure everything is compatible.

In my case, now and in the future I will again first try a local hydraulic shop for a rebuild, and use the aftermarket replacement Avenue if rebuild is not possible for some reason. KISS approach I suppose…😀

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A slight bend should not be a detriment to the function of the cylinder. If the seals are the correct parts they should work fine.

I've had cylinder rams bent enough I took them to a machine shop and had them straighten them. They put it in a press with brass to protect the ram. Came out fine!

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine

D

I've had cylinder rams bent enough I took them to a machine shop and had them straighten them. They put it in a press with brass to protect the ram. Came out fine!
A slight bend should not be a detriment to the function of the cylinder. If the seals are the correct parts they should work fine.

That's good news. Looks like they are ~ $420 each.:oops:There are two part numbers. If it comes down to it, does anybody know which I need to buy for my loader? Thanks.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That's good news. Looks like they are ~ $420 each.:oops:There are two part numbers. If it comes down to it, does anybody know which I need to buy for my loader? Thanks.
At the risk of beating a dead horse - they are simple loader cylinders. Spend $300 for a pair of aftermarket cylinders. Measure carefully and they will work every bit as well as OEM at 3X the price.

Dan

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
With the risk of beating my dead horse... a quick google search of hydraulic shops near Berwick ME returned a 1/2 dozen. Walk into the shop with the rod just like it is. Have them replace the seals and straighten the rod.... believe me, they do it every day. Most cost effective way is the simple way... go directly to the source.

Reactions: 3 users

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
With the risk of beating my dead horse... a quick google search of hydraulic shops near Berwick ME returned a 1/2 dozen. Walk into the shop with the rod just like it is. Have them replace the seals and straighten the rod.... believe me, they do it every day. Most cost effective way is the simple way... go directly to the source.
(y)I took the cylinders and seal kits to the hydraulic shop Wednesday morning. They sent the rods to a machine shop to be straightened. I recieved a call yesterday afternoon to tell me the cylinders were ready. I reinstalled them this morning. Back in buiness. Thanks all.

Reactions: 1 users

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Ouch! You got hit pretty hard. Here's my post from a year ago.

Jun 12, 2020
Your best bet is to disassemble it and carry the piston and gland into your local hydraulic shop. Have them put the seals on for you. Check the rod for straightness before disassembly by turning it. I did mine right on the machine. My guys up here charged me $30.00 on a Friday at 3:30 for the 3 seals and o-rings.... and installed them!
If you're not able to do that just take them the cylinder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Clarification on the rod straightening.. the one I resealed I straightened with v-blocks in a press. The other one I unhooked the rod end and rotated it, marked the bent area, put a 4x4 under it, then slowly curled the bucket until I got it straight. Also note the bent rods were caused by broken dump stops... always check them.

P.S. I thought the $30 price tag was very unreasonable so I also gave him a $20 tip. Just having him roll the internal seal in the gland was worth that!

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
bent rams bind while in operation. The spec on bend is something like .015", so basically "not much" is allowed. That's one of many things I always checked (bend) when I was doing a bunch of cylinders. As long as they came apart easily, it was an inexpensive repair, typically labor under $100 + whatever parts cost. On average $175 roughly.

With that said if I had a bent ram, I replaced it or gave it back to the customer whichever he wanted. The ram shafts are plated and case hardened. When they bend, the "shell" becomes damaged and a lot of times would flake off with no warning whatsoever, even when they looked fine. When that happens the rod is junk, and it usually takes out both the dust seal and the main gland oil seal then you're back to square one. Real common on backhoes and loader tilt cylinders.