Remote Oil Filter

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I am pretty sure I have NEVER seen a filter after the oil flows thru the engine. this is because the oil returns to the sump by dripping off of every bearing and sliding metal surface..... In other words, there is no single "return circuit" to place a filter after the oil is dispersed throughout the engine.

EVERY engine design I have ever seen or worked on has the oil pump PUSHING the oil thru the filter then into the engine. This goes back to at least the 1960s.
It would be possible, in theory, to put the filter between the pickup and the pump, and suck the oil through the filter, but that introduces a host of other problems with seals, and what happens if they fail.

But as you point out, having a filter before the sump simply cannot work with this type of oil delivery mechanism, which is nearly universal.

That's why installing a remote filter base is really very simple with most engines. All you need is an adapter to fit the existing filter base, the new remote filter base, and some oil resistant hose of a suitable size. Choose a filter that is at least equal to your existing filter in terms of area, flow, and pressure, and find a remote base to fit it.

Find some way to mount the new filter base, hook up some hoses, and you are done.

Bugs 01

Equipment
Z482
Jun 23, 2021
Tn
Well I guess that means you don't know. If you read the entire thread it discussed remote filter and Kubota Z482 engines. You must be unaware that the engine in the T-1600 is actually a Z482, therefore, maybe my post should have been more precise in order that you could understand it and no so brief. Maybe I should have posted something similar to: In the prior posts in this thread, discussion has been in regard to remote oil filter in regard to increasing the oil capacity of a Kubota Z482 engine which is the power plant in several type of mowers and such. In regard to that remote oil filter, an attempt was made to determine if the flow to that filter could be interrupted if the engine in question had a low oil pressure switch such as the Z482 in the T1600 engine?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
an attempt was made to determine if the flow to that filter could be interrupted if the engine in question had a low oil pressure switch such as the Z482 in the T1600 engine?
The Low Oil Pressure Switch has no bearing whatsoever on the flow of the engine oil to the filter. The switch is after the pump and filter and just senses oil pressure in the engine block. Oil pressure drops below the switch setting and the engine is shut off at the injection pump.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
In regard to that remote oil filter, an attempt was made to determine if the flow to that filter could be interrupted if the engine in question had a low oil pressure switch such as the Z482 in the T1600 engine?

The short answer is no, as nicely explained by whitetiger.

Well I guess that means you don't know. ....
I don't know if that was directed at me or not, but I have to be frank with you. I'm having trouble with your questions because they sometimes make no sense. I don't mean to be insulting, but the only way I can make sense of them is to assume that you really don't have even the most basic understanding of engine oil systems.

You are really making this exercise a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

No need for intricate discussions of bypass or low oil cutoff switches, or even lubrication diagrams. It's as simple as I already pointed out here and here.