Reducing hr meter

NickAdams

Equipment
B-2400 HSD
Jan 11, 2021
I have a B2400 HSD which has a problem, I believe, with the fuel and temp gauges. I have many recent posts on this forum regarding this issue. I just bought a salvage electrical panel - the panel shows ~7000 hrs. My tractor has approximately 1200 hrs on it. Can I safely "spin" the hrs back to my tractors actual hrs? If so, how? I do not see any ethical or criminal issues in doing this - thoughts? Actually, I do not expect to ever sell this tractor so I could leave the salvage meter reading of ~7000 hrs. if necessary. Thanks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Until you get an answer....you might want to RECORD (in a written log or in the Owner’s Manual) the number of actual hours on the tractor versus the METER hours on the actual DATE of installation. This should resolve any legal issues.
IF/WHEN you discover you can revise the METER reading... then make another recordation in a written log.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a B2400 HSD which has a problem, I believe, with the fuel and temp gauges. I have many recent posts on this forum regarding this issue. I just bought a salvage electrical panel - the panel shows ~7000 hrs. My tractor has approximately 1200 hrs on it. Can I safely "spin" the hrs back to my tractors actual hrs? If so, how? I do not see any ethical or criminal issues in doing this - thoughts? Actually, I do not expect to ever sell this tractor so I could leave the salvage meter reading of ~7000 hrs. if necessary. Thanks
Maybe, maybe not.

Decades ago, I used an erector set motor to drive the speedometer cable backwards in a Chevrolet that I had completely rebuilt/restored.

The procedure removed about 50K miles from the odometer but also broke the pin between the tenths and units.

Result: Speedometer and odometer tenths worked fine but mileage stayed at about 35K miles indefinitely.

SDT

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I had a CB450 Honda that needed a new speedo which. of course, came with zero miles. I wanted it to reflect actual mileage, so I rigged a 1/4" electric drill to run it up to 8300 miles. Took about 12 hours, if I remember right.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
How many digits on the hour meter? If only four, which may toggle back to zero at 9999, looks like it would be faster to spin the input in the normal direction.

Anyone know the gear ratio of the tachometer cable spinning the hour meter? If one hour at 2500 RPM engine speed shows 1 hour on the meter, what is RPM of the cable feeding the meter when the tach shows 2500 RPM? One could calculate time required to accomplish this goal if that RPM were known.

Assumption being that the Tach/hour meter is mechanically driven.

Is it not possible to swing the original Tach/hour meter over to the replacement panel? Just curious, not familiar with the specifics of your tractor.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
All I could think of when I read your post was the scene below. I dont think there is an easy way to do it with a mechanical gauge. You can try the tips that others have mentioned but you may make it inoperable by doing so.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

NickAdams

Equipment
B-2400 HSD
Jan 11, 2021
GeoHorn - I will do that.

SDT and Lil Foot - Seems like maybe I can an maybe I can't. Whether it would work or not maybe a Kubota specific issue.

Henro - has 4 digits + 1/10 hr digit. I have 1200 hrs so it would not be quicker but might be safer. I like the idea of switching out the hour meter to the new (used) panel - it is certainly possible. For me, the downside is that I started messy around with the old panel which may, in part, caused me to buy a new/used panel. A little gun shy now - but maybe.

je1279 - I will definitely ask the dealer.

Thank you everyone. This forum is a great resource - great ideas.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
GeoHorn - I will do that.

SDT and Lil Foot - Seems like maybe I can an maybe I can't. Whether it would work or not maybe a Kubota specific issue.

Henro - has 4 digits + 1/10 hr digit. I have 1200 hrs so it would not be quicker but might be safer. I like the idea of switching out the hour meter to the new (used) panel - it is certainly possible. For me, the downside is that I started messy around with the old panel which may, in part, caused me to buy a new/used panel. A little gun shy now - but maybe.

je1279 - I will definitely ask the dealer.

Thank you everyone. This forum is a great resource - great ideas.
I think I would go the add hours route too, to minimize risk.

You can either add 4200 hours, or subtract 5800 hours, to end up with 1200 displayed (if starting at 7000), so adding should be a bit faster...if actually doing this is practical. :)

Reactions: 1 user

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I sent you a private message.
Click on the envelope icon in the upper right of the screen.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like this is a mechanical odometer. ? If so, simply disassemble, turn the drums( digits) as required, reassemble. I did this for my 57 Willys, took maybe 20 minutes. A darn site faster than using a drill to flip it back over to 00000 !
'some' Hour meters have a 'reset' pin.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Watchmakers and instrument repair shops can usually do this but it won’t be free.

NickAdams

Equipment
B-2400 HSD
Jan 11, 2021
I am gun shy about going back into the meter. I am going to the dealer today to see if they'll do it.

NickAdams

Equipment
B-2400 HSD
Jan 11, 2021
Cliffboyer - I overcame my slyness and did as you suggested - effectively moved the meter. Worked like a charm. Thanks

Just as an experiment, I took the salvage meter and using a small square bit and a drill to spin the meter. Worked both for spinning it up and spinning it down. I did not do it for a long time but think it would take a very, very long time to substantially change the meter in either direction. Also, did not reinstall the meter to see if it continued to function in the tractor - but I believe it likely would.

Reactions: 1 user

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Cool beans!

Nothing like getting out of your comfort zone, accomplishing a task, and gain some knowledge, experience & confidence!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Cliffboyer - I overcame my slyness and did as you suggested - effectively moved the meter. Worked like a charm. Thanks

Just as an experiment, I took the salvage meter and using a small square bit and a drill to spin the meter. Worked both for spinning it up and spinning it down. I did not do it for a long time but think it would take a very, very long time to substantially change the meter in either direction. Also, did not reinstall the meter to see if it continued to function in the tractor - but I believe it likely would.
When I bought my Kubota I became suspicious about the hours and became even more-so when I realized the PO had gotten into the inst-pnl to remove the Low Fuel Warning lamp fixture (because that also doubles on this model as an alternator/charge warning lamp.). When the virtually new battery it came with was down the second week of ownership, my troubleshooting led me to the alternator which was only putting out 11 volts. Clearly the PO had trouble with it and was hiding the problem from any potential buyer by removing the warning lamp completely.
I bought a new alternator and ordered/replaced the warning lamp ...and then got curious about why a tractor with (supposedly) less than 400 hrs would lose it’s alternator. Discovered mouse-eaten wiring and repaired that... but also ordered a new internal voltage regulator for the OEM alternator (only $18) and opened up the OEM alternator to install it. I discovered the Kubota specifications for alternator brush-lengths in the WSM and found the OEM Alternator brush lengths met the spec for New... so that reassured me the 400 hrs was likely accurate and the tach had not been “spun” to some altered hour-reading.
Sneaky sellers abound...but as the old Nazi on Laugh-In said, ... “Ve haf our vays of makink you talk!” ... (Lost paperwork is usually pure B.S. ... IMO)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
no you can't just turn it backwards it has a one-way like a ratchet assembly so that the hours don't just go backwards. u either take it completely apart and turn it yourself (good luck!!), leave it alone, or replace it.

i once took a mustang odometer apart to adjust the miles because i had to replace the cluster assembly. I will never do that again. Odometers are kinda complicated.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
LB odometers aren't THAT complicated,less than 20 parts..I've done several 50-60s trucks and cars , including several '67 Mustangs that I owned. The 'trick' is to have a well lit, CLEAN bench, white cloth and clean tools. Once you see HOW they're built, it takes 5-10 minutes to reset to any number you want.