Rear Main seal Leak - L4240

PumpkinHill

Equipment
L4240
Jun 11, 2017
Williston, VT
I'm new to tractors and recently bought a used L4240 with 1000 hours. Last week, I noticed motor oil leaking from the split pin plug on the clutch housing, an obvious indicator of a rear main leak. I think it lost a few ounces after a hard running session. Since then it has been a slight drip durning moderate efforts. I haven't needed to add any oil.

Some of my friends say fix it right away and other guys tell me to keep running it indefinitely just watch the oil. Any thoughts? Clearly, replacing the seal is a major financial cost and a driveshaft is even greater.

Thx

Ken

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Are you certain it is motor oil and not hydraulic fluid?

There are a number of post dealing with leakage from this plug on Lxx40's. Some posts have great pictures to reference and you can get a sense of what is involved to fix.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
If it is your rear main seal and you are looking to get by until you can do a better fix, you might consider adding stop leak to your crank case. I've used Blue Devil Rear Main Seal Stop Leak in the past and was impressed. I had a leak that sounded about like what you describe. Added the stop leak; ran for 30 minutes or so and the leak was gone. Seemed like magic at the time!

I'm not suggesting this as a permanent fix, but it sure worked nicely for me for many months.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
One of my Kubotas was showing the same symptoms as yours a couple of years ago. When I split the tractor the cause of the rear main leak was the oil seal had started to work its way out of the assembly that holds it. If I had waited and the seal had come all the way out I could have lost all my oil in a relatively short time I would imagine. I would vote to not wait and fix now.

Adirondack

Equipment
L3400, L5240
Dec 8, 2015
Upstate NY, USA
Odds are that it is the 4wd output shaft seal from the transmission. Been there, done that. My L5240 was done at 790 hours at the dealer 6 months before I bought it. Then it started leaking again after I bought it. I fixed it myself.

Last edited:

MODiesel

Equipment
L5030HSTC MFWD
Dec 1, 2017
Missouri USA
Odds are that it is the 4wd output shaft seal from the transmission. Been there, done that. My L5240 was done at 790 hours at the dealer 6 months before I bought it. Then it started leaking again after I bought it. I fixed it myself.
I'm all ears on how this can be fixed on your own as I think I just ran into it on my L5030! :)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There's a real good chance it's the front wheel assist (what most call 4x4) propeller shaft.

A couple things typically go wrong that cause the leak. First the seals will leak and second the collars that the seals ride on are rubber on the inside where they seal to the shaft, and the rubber shrinks and then some clearance opens up between the shaft and collar-causing a leak. Oil then runs into the bellhousing area and usually out of the little pin plug.

The fix is to replace both collars, shaft, and seals. This is considered a permanent fix. Some just replace the seals and that's only part of the fix. The tractor has to be split to gain access to these parts, thus its a good idea to consider doing it right once as opposed to half way doing it twice or more.

When removing the propeller shaft from the transmission case, sometimes the collar falls off inside the transmission case. Don't have a coronary, a long magnet fishes it out pretty easily and then you can usually put some grease on the transmission side of the collar, slide the "dry" side onto the propeller shaft, slide it onto the transmission and the grease will hold it well enough so that you can slide the propeller shaft back out. The thicker the grease the better obviously and you don't have to use the whole tube, just enough to coat the splines.

So what causes it?

A lot of times junk hydraulic fluid. It causes the inner diameter of the seal collars to shrink more than UDT or Super UDT does. Also severe heating of the transmission can cause it, which I see more on the HST's than the DT's or GST's; especially when using the HST in high range for moving dirt, gravel, pushing trees, etc.

Another possible leak is the input shaft of the transmission, which is fairly rare.

The rear main seal leaking is REALLY rare. Kubota did a good job on that part for sure. I can't say I've ever seen one leak that didn't have other problems.

Last edited: