PTO Shaft Lube?

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060, ZD21, ZD28, ZD331, RTV X1100C, Branson 3820, JD 1020, JD 50
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
What's the best lube for the PTO shaft? I'll soon be cleaning and prepping, for winter storage, of a lot of my PTO driven equipment and thought I'd see what everyone was using to lube their PTO shafts. I've always just used all purpose grease but it becomes hard and will make it difficult to extend the shaft once it is collapsed past the normal use length.

Suggestions?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I recently started using never seize on the shaft and splines. Expensive compared to grease but it seems to work better and collects less dirt and crud.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I recently started using never seize on the shaft and splines. Expensive compared to grease but it seems to work better and collects less dirt and crud.
Agreed. Anti-Seize is your friend.

Just don't get any on you. A little goes a long ways it seems.

antiseize.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I just use gun grease then clean and re-apply before next season.

Never seez et al will harden up as well.

Reactions: 1 users

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Anti-Seize Had a frend tex me only a week so ago was sealing his driveway. Texed dam driveway sealer just like anti-seizes got s>>t everwhere. Laughed so hard brought tears to my eyes.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Agreed. Anti-Seize is your friend.

Just don't get any on you. A little goes a long ways it seems.

View attachment 87466
Anti-sieze has never been a friend of mine. I can't imagine a bigger mess than handling a PTO shaft that has been slathered with it.

Dan

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I use a spray lube that I can get on the splines and up in the collar to keep it moving and the balls from rusting in place. The brush hog lives outside and I’ve never had an issue with it being seized up when I go to use it. Keep it up off the ground and don’t cover it with something that would hold snow, rain or allow condensation to collect around it. I also make sure I grease up the universal joints as well so they winter without issues. If I was going to cover it, I would use a tarp over the top or an oil soaked canvas that allows airflow but keeps that rain snow and ice off

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I use WD-Dry Lube. Been using it for the last three years, no rust on the PTO Shaft, dries clean, so it doesn't collect dirt, and keeps the shaft moving easily.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
What's the best lube for the PTO shaft? I'll soon be cleaning and prepping, for winter storage, of a lot of my PTO driven equipment and thought I'd see what everyone was using to lube their PTO shafts. I've always just used all purpose grease but it becomes hard and will make it difficult to extend the shaft once it is collapsed past the normal use length.

Suggestions?
I like fluid film. I use it on locks, hinges, rust, etc.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Anything not sliding or oscillating gets CRC Dry Moly here. Lever and pedal joints, hinges, etc. Even the backside of aluminum wheels so they don't stick to the rotors.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I looked at the Fluid Film website...impressive stuff. Not overly priced, my local ACE hardware even has some in stock.
Yeah, even Lowe's carries it. You can buy it by the gallon, too, for undercoating cars.

I used to hang out on a Jeep forum, and there was a guy who took a one inch square of his underbody and cleaned it down to bare metal. No undercoating, no paint. Just bare steel exposed to the salt and spray of upstate New York. Every fall he sprays it with Fluid Film. He'd been doing it for years. No rust.

It's not a penetrating oil, but it will creep into crevices. Great for slowing down existing rust.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Grease here. Keep them tied up off the ground and I do not leave them collapsed. I leave them out about 6-8in in the chance it sticks I can push them in to break it loose, easier than trying to pull on them. Haven’t had it happen yet though.
Also mine stay out in the weather and still have the plastic guards on them. If possible remove the PTO shaft and store it inside. I remove one half from my tiller and the whole shaft from my post hole digger.