problem with kubota g2160

bubba402

Jun 29, 2014
bucyrus, ohio
I bought a used kubota g2160 last year. Works and mows great. At the end of the mowing season the 2160 started losing power and rpm's after it had been running about twenty minutes. Sometimes it would shut down, other times it would sputter awhile, then run smooth again for a short time before losing power again. I explained this to my mechanic who gave the 2160 a spring going-over this spring. The mechanic said he was unable to replicate the problem but said that the fuel filter was clogged. The 2160 ran great again this spring, but now (starting today) it is doing the same loss-of-power thing. I changed the fuel filter (maybe there was some residual dirt or debris from the tank). After about fifteen minutes of quality mowing, the engine is sputtering again. Anybody have any ideas or solutions?

I am a new member and just stumbled upon this web site. Looks like I could learn a lot about my Kubota on this site. Thanx for anybody that can help me.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If a plugged fuel filter was an issue,dirty fuel tank is also a possibility.tank needs to be cleaned to eliminate that possibility. Dirty fuel or water contamination is a common problem, be it old fuel with algae becoming a more prevalent issue.

Mike B

Equipment
G1260-RS48, B2100
Jul 7, 2013
Skagit Co. WA
I had EXACTLY this same problem.... it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. It seems odd that it would run fine for a while and then loss power... but replacing the fuel pump solved the probelm.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yup, sounds like a fuel problem.

Whenever you have a dirty fuel problem and the unit is several years old the items already mentioned are important, don't check, just do:

1. remove fuel system components if possible.
2. Clean everything
3. Check function of everything replace anything not working properly/worn/cracked
4. If tank is dirty or rusty inside, clean it out. Some folks opt to put in a tank sealant of some sort
5. Put it all back together and check for leaks

Fire it back up. Your machine will thank you in the end. (it's also a good time to repaint the components if you have anything that needs it)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Treat the fuel and fuel system with both Stanadyne or equivalent and a biocide fuel treatment like Soltron (Weird name great product).