Oil leak from front of new L4701 tractor

michael campbell

Equipment
tractor rtv
Sep 3, 2020
albany, ky
This leak is getting worse with continued use with tractor. Drip is falling from behind radiator area, but it may being blown to that point from fan? Anyone got any ideas?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This leak is getting worse with continued use with tractor. Drip is falling from behind radiator area, but it may being blown to that point from fan? Anyone got any ideas?

IF "new" - let dealer look into it !

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Watch this video.

Reactions: 1 users

michael campbell

Equipment
tractor rtv
Sep 3, 2020
albany, ky
Watch this video.

Others had the correct answer, but you had the video! Showed me where to look and I fixed it in 5 minutes! Comparing that with transporting to a dealer I trust(120 mile trip) proabably having to leave,return trip to pickup, at least it was under wararenty, couple days no tractor(we always need our tractor) Thank you thank you

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Others had the correct answer, but you had the video! Showed me where to look and I fixed it in 5 minutes! Comparing that with transporting to a dealer I trust(120 mile trip) proabably having to leave,return trip to pickup, at least it was under wararenty, couple days no tractor(we always need our tractor) Thank you thank you
Hey no problem that's what our OTT family is for. Post it and they will reply :)

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
The down side to this type of owner self fix is there is no feedback to the OEM or cost of poor quality to get Corp eyes on it.

bottom line is they don’t know they’re having an issue that needs resolved.

it’s still hard to believe they don’t use constant force clamps. There’s a reason why automotive OEM’s use them.

I’m glad it was something simple and didn’t require the OP further stress or cost.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The down side to this type of owner self fix is there is no feedback to the OEM or cost of poor quality to get Corp eyes on it.

bottom line is they don’t know they’re having an issue that needs resolved.

it’s still hard to believe they don’t use constant force clamps. There’s a reason why automotive OEM’s use them.

I’m glad it was something simple and didn’t require the OP further stress or cost.
Constant tension clamps only work well on low-pressure systems such as cooling-systems. Automotive OEMs should use screw-type clamps or swaged fittings on high-pressure systems such as oil, lubrication, and hydraulics.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I agree with the failure to provide OEM feedback comment. On my RTV-X900 I discovered a leaking hose-to-pipe connection in the coolant system which was dripping. I removed the hose and cleaned the pipe and re-clamped the hose. Those guys over in Georgia who assembled (they call it “manufactured” these days) do not know they left this clamp under-torqued.

Constant tension clamps only work well on low-pressure systems such as pneumatic and cooling-systems. Automotive OEMs should use screw-type clamps or swaged fittings on high-pressure systems such as oil, lubrication, and hydraulics.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
they use cheap clamps to help keep the cost down

if the deere version of the (mostly) same tractor is $100 less than Kubota, do you think Kubota's gonna be ok with that knowing that their customers are going to get a green tractor for less money? No, they're going to cut a cost somewhere, or in a lot of areas, to get that cost down.

that is what manufacturing is about. Build a good product as cheap as possible, yet still be able to market it and sell it for enough $$$ to pay the bills. It is not easy.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
they use cheap clamps to help keep the cost down

if the deere version of the (mostly) same tractor is $100 less than Kubota, do you think Kubota's gonna be ok with that knowing that their customers are going to get a green tractor for less money? No, they're going to cut a cost somewhere, or in a lot of areas, to get that cost down.

that is what manufacturing is about. Build a good product as cheap as possible, yet still be able to market it and sell it for enough $$$ to pay the bills. It is not easy.

About to get worse, much worse than before and it won't be long either.

TBD

Equipment
L3901
Dec 13, 2020
Pennsylvania
I noticed my tractor dripping there yesterday. When I opened the hood I found a mouse nest right under the cooler, so I assumed that a mouse chewed through a hose. Before I started tearing into I figured I better check here. I'm glad I did! hopefully it is just a loose clamp like everyone else had.
T

TBD

Equipment
L3901
Dec 13, 2020
Pennsylvania
Turns out that is the correct hose and the clamps were loose. But the hose is deteriorated. Trimming the end and repositioning has the leak stopped for now. But It will need a new hose. The machine is only a year 1/2 old. They could have used a better hose! Anyone happen to know the part number?

T