Odd tool no idea what it was used for, any idea?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My aunt was helping to clean out a house with a friend and found this tool. The husband had passed years before and the wife recently. As they were going through things found this tool. She brought it to me as she was curious what it was called and used for.

Told her I would post it here and see if someone might know what it is called and what it was used for. No markings on it that I can see.

Anyone have an idea or maybe even have one?

Thanks for your time.

Jay
20201026_194050.jpg

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
They appear to be blacksmith pliers. I saw someone a couple years ago roll through town and seem to recall something similar. From a quick google search of "blacksmith pliers" I found a few pictures that appear to be an exact match but I cannot find any exact details because they are always pictured in a set of antique blacksmith tools that are up for auction with no description of the individual tools.

Hopefully this helps narrow down your search!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
My aunt was helping to clean out a house with a friend and found this tool. The husband had passed years before and the wife recently. As they were going through things found this tool. She brought it to me as she was curious what it was called and used for.

Told her I would post it here and see if someone might know what it is called and what it was used for. No markings on it that I can see.

Anyone have an idea or maybe even have one?

Thanks for your time.

Jay View attachment 49964

They appear to be an antique set of cobbler pliers, which were used in leatherwork, primarily in shoemaking and repair. If you search cobbler pliers you will find some modern varients that look very similar.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I think that looks like an old pair of lasting pliers.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
From doing some research, I am certain they are a cobblers pliers. A cobbler is a shoemaker, often working with leather. These pliers were used in the process of making shoes. These are not blacksmith tools, they are too small, and the handles aren't long enough. If you research cobbler tools or cobbler pliers specifically you will find dozens of exact matches, even some modern variants that you can still purchase.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Learn something new everyday! Thanks for posting.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Tornado is correct! I worked in the shoe industry for 30 years and these were used mostly in the factories to pull the leather uppers over the last so the laster can staple it to the insole rib.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Tornado is correct! I worked in the shoe industry for 30 years and these were used mostly in the factories to pull the leather uppers over the last so the laster can staple it to the insole rib.
That is why they are called Lasting Pliers.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
You guys and gals are awesome!

The husband was a surveyor but I guess somewhere along the way he acquired the cobbler pliers.

Now that I have a starting point I'll do some research and let my aunt know more about them.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jay