Noob looking for a tractor

aaarneson

Equipment
N/A
Aug 2, 2023
SW Colorado
Hello

Completely new to tractors...so not totally sure what I need. But here is some info...

I have 35 acres in SW Colorado (7500 ft elevation)...forested land with ponderosa pine, juniper, and gambel/scrub oak. 4 years ago we had the property fire mitigated and the scrub oak is back(about 3-5 feet high about an inch thick at the most). I want to be able to stay up on that.

I also have a 700ft long gravel driveway I need to maintain. Will also want to be able to deal with the snow in winter as needed. This is a 2nd home so I am not always there.

Some other possible jobs would be moving items around as needed....maybe some small logs, etc. And I may need to dig some holes...

Thank you...any advice towards a tractor and attachments/implements and accessories is appreciated.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Welcome to the Asylum!

People with way more experience will be along shortly but I'll get the ball rolling.

One thing I would ask you is; Do you think you want a cab or not, to stay out of the elements? (I suppose it depends on how thick those trees are to some extent, or how many pieces of glass can you afford :giggle: ).

From your description the things that pop into my head that are "Must Haves" are

Backhoe (controversial to some, but not to me....you gotta have it...lol)

Front end loader

Forks

Box Blade

A Grapple is handy as hell too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Welcome, like RWS, I am fairly new too and I am sure more experienced folks will chime in.

Sounds like keeping the underbrush cleared is a primary goal and I would think you want a rotary cutter (aka bush or brush hog). Will you be able to get a tractor under/between the trees? What is the slope like? Just saw the pics you posted. rotary cutter looks appropriate

For moving logs, brush piles, a grapple is "da bomb". Some people will use forks but to me they look to be limited for that. disclaimer, I own a grapple but no forks so I am biased ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Here is a pic of the scrub oak...this area is more open than most of the land...pretty condensed. I think I would go without the cab...at least as of now.
The next logical question is; Whats an estimate of much do you want/need to lift?

I.E. Pallets of brick, pallets of fire wood, huge logs.....estimate high....you'll be glad you did.

Since I was completely new not too long ago, a thousand pounds sounded great.....Don't get me wrong, I'm happy but I also kinda wish I had more loader capacity....of course I would have had to step up considerably in HP.

I have never heard of a guy saying "I sure wish my tractor didn't lift that much."

However there is always money/space concerns too.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Also my initial research has led me to the L3901 so far.
I picked up a used L3901 because it had a backhoe and was available relatively close by. I love it. I would probably be as well off with a L3301 or even a L2501. I don't really use my rotary cutter much and the "extra" horse power is really only available at the PTO.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Also my initial research has led me to the L3901 so far.
I was on board with a 3901 at first, but since the loader capacity was the same, I decided I wanted the simpler 2501 without emissions. Personally, emissions to me was huge factor, since the loaders are the same.

YMMV

However, if you plan on running stuff that needs more "grunt" than me that's a nice tractor for sure.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Here is a pic of the scrub oak...this area is more open than most of the land...pretty condensed. I think I would go without the cab...at least as of now.
Some arguments for a cab:

If snow removal will take more than an hour.... cab.
If you have high pollen seasons.... cab.
If you have limited time to do the work and it rains.... cab.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sounds like a larger L series would do nicely for you. Then figure out if you want a standard L, or a Grand L, then 4WD or not (anymore all the Grand Ls are 4WD, not sure about the standard Ls, but I know they all can be had in 4WD), and HST (hydrostatic transmission) or not. Lastly cab or not.

Myself, I’d go with the largest Grand L that isn’t turbo charged, has 4WD and is HST, probably an L4760 which has nearly 40 Hp at the PTO in the HST model.

Be sure to buy the front end loader (skid steer quick attach) with the tractor., have the third function installed too, for the snow plow and grapple. Sounds like you’ll need a back blade, brush hog (heavy duty), snow plow and probably a grapple at some point.

Truthfully, personally I wouldn’t buy new since I think I can find a low hour good condition 30 or 40 series Grand L, (pre Tier 4 emissions, no DPF and high rev regen periods). Most likely an L5030 or L4740. But buying new is probably most desired by many folks.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I would think you would want a turbo at that altitude?

Reactions: 3 users

aaarneson

Equipment
N/A
Aug 2, 2023
SW Colorado
Sounds like a larger L series would do nicely for you. Then figure out if you want a standard L, or a Grand L, then 4WD or not (anymore all the Grand Ls are 4WD, not sure about the standard Ls, but I know they all can be had in 4WD), and HST (hydrostatic transmission) or not. Lastly cab or not.

Myself, I’d go with the largest Grand L that isn’t turbo charged, has 4WD and is HST, probably an L4760 which has nearly 40 Hp at the PTO in the HST model.

Be sure to buy the front end loader (skid steer quick attach) with the tractor., have the third function installed too, for the snow plow and grapple. Sounds like you’ll need a back blade, brush hog (heavy duty), snow plow and probably a grapple at some point.

Truthfully, personally I wouldn’t buy new since I think I can find a low hour good condition 30 or 40 series Grand L, (pre Tier 4 emissions, no DPF and high rev regen periods). Most likely an L5030 or L4740. But buying new is probably most desired by many folks.
I prefer to buy used if I can....not a whole lot of options though around me(SW Colorado and Phoenix)....but there are some.

Also why do you say not to have a turbocharged motor? I thought I may need that since I am at a higher elevation...

jdgcolo

Equipment
MX5400, Pallet forks, Hay bale spears, Tiller
Aug 2, 2023
Colorado
Hello

Completely new to tractors...so not totally sure what I need. But here is some info...

I have 35 acres in SW Colorado (7500 ft elevation)...forested land with ponderosa pine, juniper, and gambel/scrub oak. 4 years ago we had the property fire mitigated and the scrub oak is back(about 3-5 feet high about an inch thick at the most). I want to be able to stay up on that.

I also have a 700ft long gravel driveway I need to maintain. Will also want to be able to deal with the snow in winter as needed. This is a 2nd home so I am not always there.

Some other possible jobs would be moving items around as needed....maybe some small logs, etc. And I may need to dig some holes...

Thank you...any advice towards a tractor and attachments/implements and accessories is appreciated.
I have been looking at this forum for a while but only recently joined. I am also in Colorado. I purchased a used MX5400 with a cab for our hay yard. I got the cab for the significant other. She runs the loader and I open the gates. Without the cab I would likely get to do it all. I recommend a cab.

I'm not sure where you are in SW Colorado. You might look at Southwest Ag Inc. in Bayfield. They are a large Kubota dealer.

39927 US-160, Bayfield, CO 81122
+19708844101

aaarneson

Equipment
N/A
Aug 2, 2023
SW Colorado
I have been looking at this forum for a while but only recently joined. I am also in Colorado. I purchased a used MX5400 with a cab for our hay yard. I got the cab for the significant other. She runs the loader and I open the gates. Without the cab I would likely get to do it all. I recommend a cab.

I'm not sure where you are in SW Colorado. You might look at Southwest Ag Inc. in Bayfield. They are a large Kubota dealer.

39927 US-160, Bayfield, CO 81122
+19708844101
Thanks I will take a look. I am not too far from Bayfield. I am in Mancos.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Based on what you have listed as tasks at your place. You would want to purchase a Turbo Charged HST tractor with a loader plus a grapple (or you can use forks); your altitude would reduce the power of a normally aspirated engine by 20%. Add some summer heat, and your density altitude would be even higher with more of a loss.

Cutting down the scrub oak is a task for a medium duty rotary cutter that is sized to your tractor. Your will need a box blade (or a landplane) to maintain the driveway, and whatever snow equipment you require for your level of snow. If you want or need a cab or backhoe, buy one.

The LX20 series has a variety of HP levels with or without cabs, and they are all turbocharged. It is a good place to start looking.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Welcome to the Asylum!

People with way more experience will be along shortly but I'll get the ball rolling.

One thing I would ask you is; Do you think you want a cab or not, to stay out of the elements? (I suppose it depends on how thick those trees are to some extent, or how many pieces of glass can you afford :giggle: ).

From your description the things that pop into my head that are "Must Haves" are

Backhoe (controversial to some, but not to me....you gotta have it...lol)

Front end loader

Forks

Box Blade

A Grapple is handy as hell too.
"di
Based on what you have listed as tasks at your place. You would want to purchase a Turbo Charged HST tractor with a loader plus a grapple (or you can use forks); your altitude would reduce the power of a normally aspirated engine by 20%. Add some summer heat, and your density altitude would be even higher with more of a loss.

Cutting down the scrub oak is a task for a medium duty rotary cutter that is sized to your tractor. Your will need a box blade (or a landplane) to maintain the driveway, and whatever snow equipment you require for your level of snow. If you want or need a cab or backhoe, buy one.

The LX20 series has a variety of HP levels with or without cabs, and they are all turbocharged. It is a good place to start looking.

Elliot in GA has it exactly pegged!
Also note Rule #1 of tractoring: BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR!

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.
What are your constraints or criteria?
Do you require a PTO?
How much do you want to be able to safely lift and move?
How high do you want to lift the max weight?
Regarding holes how many and how deep? (Post holes or a pond?)
Is there a need for snow removal?
If no need a PTO is a Compact wheel or track loader an option?

I am not sure that helps or not, but those are sort of my thoughts. I think some of those questions might machine size whether a tractor or something else. 🥃

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
If you're looking at the 3901, I'd look at the 4701 and 4060LE as well. Good point made above about a turbocharged engine at your elevation though (both these models are naturally aspirated)

Agree with the grapple suggestion, but understand it requires 3rd function hydraulics, so there's an additional cost beyond the implment itself. But personally I love my grapple and use it more than any other implement.

@rc51stierhoff asks good questions above that can help us guide you better. How much you want to lift, and the slope/terrain can be a big factor.

aaarneson

Equipment
N/A
Aug 2, 2023
SW Colorado
Good day.
What are your constraints or criteria?
Do you require a PTO?
How much do you want to be able to safely lift and move?
How high do you want to lift the max weight?
Regarding holes how many and how deep? (Post holes or a pond?)
Is there a need for snow removal?
If no need a PTO is a Compact wheel or track loader an option?

I am not sure that helps or not, but those are sort of my thoughts. I think some of those questions might machine size whether a tractor or something else. 🥃
Do need a PTO for at least a Rotary Cutter.
The only thing I can think of needing to move is maybe logs, even those I can probably cut to any size as needed. They would be Ponderosa Pines which are not typically heavy.
Height of lift is not super necessary as well.
Holes would need to be at least 3ft deep to get below frost. Number of holes...not sure as I am just thinking of things I may need.
Snow removal would be nice to have....but I am not up there in the winter as much...but would eventually like to be up there more in the winter or have that option if needed.

My main needs would be for brush and for gravel driveway maintenance and maybe snow removal. The rest would be things that would be nice to have for possible future projects.

Last edited: