No pressure to wood splitter

michael campbell

Equipment
tractor rtv
Sep 3, 2020
albany, ky
When hooking up the wood splitter to rear remotes there was first movement(very slow) since no movement at all! I know very little about the dealer installed remote, what's my best action?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
find out how your rear remote works

is it a float detent? If it is and you have the lever in float, you won't get no flow

what kind of log splitter? Is it a dual acting cylinder or single? 2 hoses or one?

what tractor?
What kind of remote it on it and how are u using it?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
When hooking up the wood splitter to rear remotes there was first movement(very slow) since no movement at all! I know very little about the dealer installed remote, what's my best action?
A pair of rear remotes will have a control lever near the seat.

For flow to happen the lever needs to be either pushed or pulled out of its neutral position.

Remember, the remotes are normally for double acting cylinders not another system which is what your splitter is (assuming your splitter has its own control valve).

For you to have continuous flow to the splitter, the remote valve will need to be secured in an ON position. Some remote valves have detents but unlikely one to meet your needs.

A rubber strap (bungee) is often used.

It will be important to use the correct remote as the supply to your splitter valve and the correct remote for the return from your splitter valve.

Study this page from a M7040 remote operating description which could have 3 remotes.

Likely you just have one and focus on the A and B outlets and which way their flow goes depending upon the lever position.

forrum remote.jpg

Dave

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Dave_eng... Thank you, for the education. That’s helpful even those who don’t have this situation.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Check to make sure that both hoses are still in all the way. Sounds like one may not be coupled all the way

michael campbell

Equipment
tractor rtv
Sep 3, 2020
albany, ky
A pair of rear remotes will have a control lever near the seat.

For flow to happen the lever needs to be either pushed or pulled out of its neutral position.

Remember, the remotes are normally for double acting cylinders not another system which is what your splitter is (assuming your splitter has its own control valve).

For you to have continuous flow to the splitter, the remote valve will need to be secured in an ON position. Some remote valves have detents but unlikely one to meet your needs.

It will be important to use the correct remote as the supply to your splitter valve and the correct remote for the return from your splitter valve.

Study this page from a M7040 remote operating description which could have 3 remotes.

Likely you just have one and focus on the A and B outlets and which way their flow goes depending upon the lever position.

View attachment 50029

Dave
Thanks for the detailed input.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I have 2 pairs of remotes in one block. First time putting the hyd top link back on I used top left and bottom left. Still embarrassed by how long it took me to figure out that they were paired horizontally :oops:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have 2 pairs of remotes in one block. First time putting the hyd top link back on I used top left and bottom left. Still embarrassed by how long it took me to figure out that they were paired horizontally :oops:
At least you did not take a day off work, rent a trailer, haul the tractor 30 plus miles to find that out as one customer did a few years ago.:oops:

michael campbell

Equipment
tractor rtv
Sep 3, 2020
albany, ky

is it a float detent? If it is and you have the lever in float, you won't get no flow

what kind of log splitter? Is it a dual acting cylinder or single? 2 hoses or one?

what tractor?
Would have responded sooner but needed to get all info you asked together. Still don't have,. but have this much: log splitter is duel acting cylinder/2 hoses. Bought a TSC. Lever that operates the rear remote?! stays in a center position(neutral?) Pushing forward it returns to center, this seems to be necessary for FL to work. Pull to rear returns to center, doesn't seem to aid anything(for sure not the woodsplitter). Have attempted to contact the dealer who installed, so for no answer to what type, what is necessary to operate, etc, will try again on Monday. Sending some pics, but may not be detailed to help.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Would have responded sooner but needed to get all info you asked together. Still don't have,. but have this much: log splitter is duel acting cylinder/2 hoses. Bought a TSC. Lever that operates the rear remote?! stays in a center position(neutral?) Pushing forward it returns to center, this seems to be necessary for FL to work. Pull to rear returns to center, doesn't seem to aid anything(for sure not the woodsplitter). Have attempted to contact the dealer who installed, so for no answer to what type, what is necessary to operate, etc, will try again on Monday. Sending some pics, but may not be detailed to help.
You missed this step:

Your hydraulic system is OPEN CENTER. Not good at doing two things at once like powering the splitter and FEL.

Now that you have 7 posts you can post photos.

Provide some showing your rear remote(s) and splitter

Dave

michael campbell

Equipment
tractor rtv
Sep 3, 2020
albany, ky

what tractor?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Michael

Need picture looking at rear of your tractor from several feet back so the location and number of remote connections can be seen,

I do not think you have said which model of tractor you have which would help.

Dave

michael campbell

Equipment
tractor rtv
Sep 3, 2020
albany, ky
Michael

Need picture looking at rear of your tractor from several feet back so the location and number of remote connections can be seen,

I do not think you have said which model of tractor you have which would help.

Dave
Attached please find the requested pictures. Tractor is a Kubota L4701.

50182-8f327e7a23c953db6a8074b62dca0be4.JPG

50183-2b8544adf7dfc77caa22d66cae3df6ad.JPG

50184-6bfda0923119d8ef5b48c5853a93a6ee.JPG

50185-7de972931c4226b16b62a064b374e45a.JPG

50186-c1dc82c39a04993698e4588657d06c94.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I have studied thiss further and looked at the Speeco web site and the splitter manual

The splitter valve will have IN and OUT cast into the valve body.

50187-2799cb8e576c254cbd9ce6f4f1938273.jpg

The challenge is to move the remote lever in the direction to send flow to the splitter IN port and allow flow to return to the tractor from the splitter OUT port. Get this backwards and destroying the splitter valve is likely as a hydraulic valve OUT port is only rated for around 500 psi not the 2,000+ psi your tractor system develops

Pay attention to the A and B on the image below

50188-71e69eb567251a94720c0e9399ad04a8.jpg

50189-ecf9216d4962bb9a9c1efb403c3b4549.jpg

The above info is from a L4701 Owners' manual.

Is your remote pair factory installed or by the dealer?

The remote lever needs to be tied into the forward position once the splitter hoses are connected to the remotes. Do not tie it forward before connecting the splitter.

Does the above make sense to you or would you like more information?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

michael campbell

Equipment
tractor rtv
Sep 3, 2020
albany, ky
I have studied thiss further and looked at the Speeco web site and the splitter manual

The splitter valve will have IN and OUT cast into the valve body.

View attachment 50187

The challenge is to move the remote lever in the direction to send flow to the splitter IN port and allow flow to return to the tractor from the splitter OUT port. Get this backwards and destroying the splitter valve is likely as a hydraulic valve OUT port is only rated for around 500 psi not the 2,000+ psi your tractor system develops

Pay attention to the A and B on the image below

View attachment 50188

View attachment 50189

The above info is from a L4701 Owners' manual.

Is your remote pair factory installed or by the dealer?

The remote lever needs to be tied into the forward position once the splitter hoses are connected to the remotes. Do not tie it forward before connecting the splitter.

Does the above make sense to you or would you like more information?

Dave
Thanks, will give this a try in the morning.