Methol Hydrate

mike mack

Equipment
Kabota M 6800s
Jan 2, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
Hey all, just had my hyd. system freeze up going to change the filters and see how it goes. Has anyone ever put methol hydrate in the hyd. system of a Kabota?? Thanks Mike

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Mike,

unless there is water in there ..... that fluid should not freeze - unless it is like -10 F !!! No need to add anything .....

You need to drain the oil too and when you do - what color is it? Clear??? That would be good, a milky white ....that would be very bad!

Tractor left outside?

mike mack

Equipment
Kabota M 6800s
Jan 2, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
The oil is clear and was changed about 40 hrs ago, The tractor is in a fabric hut and not in the rain but we have warm days and cold nights so condensation.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What is your low temps?
and what fluid was placed in there 40 hours ago? A kubota oil? or another?

mike mack

Equipment
Kabota M 6800s
Jan 2, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
What is your low temps?
What is your low temps?
The Hydrulic oil was changed by the dealer when he put a new seal in the transmition, the low temp's is -14 degrees c or15 to 20 degrees f

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I never even move either of mine until they have warmed up at least 15 minutes at an increased idle and the temp gauges are moving towards the center of their range.

Reactions: 1 user

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Is the fabric enclosure on bare ground? Ventilated? Those are the worst things to trap moisture on bare ground. If it’s in the sun, its even worse. Warm in the day, cold at night. Condensation on everything and inside the engine and transmission.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I didn't know exactly what it was so I looked it up. It's gasline antifreeze and a shellac thinner. Not sure how it would react with the seals in a Kubota hydraulic system. Not sure I'd want to try it to find out either.

mike mack

Equipment
Kabota M 6800s
Jan 2, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
I didn't know exactly what it was so I looked it up. It's gasline antifreeze and a shellac thinner. Not sure how it would react with the seals in a Kubota hydraulic system. Not sure I'd want to try it to find out either.
The hut has vents but I usually leave the door open and all was good. But due to high winds lately i have the door closed and it was moist in there. I changed the filters and all good . The Hyd system seems great .

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mike - - a modern, Kubota-branded hydraulic fluid, proper for your tractor should not freeze at 15F. It should not need an additive.

Is this an M6800? Gear drive, or shuttle or other? (Not familiar with M6800's)

Have you ever drained and changed the fluid, and when?

Like you, I would assume the dealer put proper fluid in when seals were done.

However, you don't know if they drained it, or just topped it off, depending on what seal they replaced. An M-series takes A LOT of fluid......

I still suspect water, like Hokie mentioned.

After it sits for a while, can you get to a drain plug just to drain a cup or so, just to see if water comes out first, before the hydraulic fluid comes out?

An M-series may have more than 1 drain plug. I would pick the lowest one.

Drain or pour it into a clear cup so you can see the water/oil separation after it sits.

You have to be quick taking plug out/threading back in.....

My 70 year-old Minneapolis Moline had about 3 quarts of water in it last time I tried it....

Last edited:

mike mack

Equipment
Kabota M 6800s
Jan 2, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
Mike - - a modern, Kubota-branded hydraulic fluid, proper for your tractor should not freeze at 15F. It should not need an additive.

Is this an M6800? Gear drive, or shuttle or other? (Not familiar with M6800's)

Have you ever drained and changed the fluid, and when?

Like you, I would assume the dealer put proper fluid in when seals were done.

However, you don't know if they drained it, or just topped it off, depending on what seal they replaced. An M-series takes A LOT of fluid......

I still suspect water, like Hokie mentioned.

After it sits for a while, can you get to a drain plug just to drain a cup or so, just to see if water comes out first, before the hydraulic fluid comes out?

An M-series may have more than 1 drain plug. I would pick the lowest one.

Drain or pour it into a clear cup so you can see the water/oil separation after it sits.

You have to be quick taking plug out/threading back in.....

My 70 year-old Minneapolis Moline had about 3 quarts of water in it last time I tried it....
Hey RCW The m6800s is a gear transmition. and when the dealer did the seal he drained the unit. I checked the lowest drain plug I found 2 drains and there was no water there. Seems the water was only in the filters. I changed the filters yesterday and all seems good now. Love to see your Moline. Where are you located? I'm in New Brunswick Canada. Take care Mike

mike mack

Equipment
Kabota M 6800s
Jan 2, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
On a side note. My Kabota Guy( dealer service manager) who has helped me greatly in the past with various things says NOT to use methol hydrate in the system as the filters will trap any water in the system. He also said that methol will explode when compressed like in a gear pump. (Hyd Pump)

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I’m really curious to know how water ended up in the hydraulic system. A little from condensation but that shouldn’t amount to much more than tablespoon amount even with wild temperature swings like you guys get out east.
maybe cut the filter open and see if there’s evidence of water in it? Shouldn’t the filter have a ‘bypass’ if it’s blocked? Unless it was froze but mixed with oil, one would think that would take a lot of water.
If you suspect water, you should be looking into any spots where it could get in, there’s likely a few caps or breathers or plugs or where the shifter goes in to take a good look at!
ive ran my M at -30°c (-22f) with no issues, that winter it was in an unheated, Uninsulated, dirt floor pole barn that would not be much different than a tarp shed for moisture.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hey RCW The m6800s is a gear transmition. and when the dealer did the seal he drained the unit. I checked the lowest drain plug I found 2 drains and there was no water there. Seems the water was only in the filters. I changed the filters yesterday and all seems good now. Love to see your Moline. Where are you located? I'm in New Brunswick Canada. Take care Mike
I'm about an hour southeast of Syracuse, NY.

Here's a couple pics of the old timer. It runs quite well, doesn't burn oil, converted to 12v, etc.

mike mack

Equipment
Kabota M 6800s
Jan 2, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
I’m really curious to know how water ended up in the hydraulic system. A little from condensation but that shouldn’t amount to much more than tablespoon amount even with wild temperature swings like you guys get out east.
maybe cut the filter open and see if there’s evidence of water in it? Shouldn’t the filter have a ‘bypass’ if it’s blocked? Unless it was froze but mixed with oil, one would think that would take a lot of water.
If you suspect water, you should be looking into any spots where it could get in, there’s likely a few caps or breathers or plugs or where the shifter goes in to take a good look at!
ive ran my M at -30°c (-22f) with no issues, that winter it was in an unheated, Uninsulated, dirt floor pole barn that would not be much different than a tarp shed for moisture.
Thanks Thunder, Good idea , I will cut the filters when I get a chance and I'll look at the holes in the transmition where shifters go in etc.