Material From Pond Dredging

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My neighbor is having the pond dredged and they need a place to put the material. I offered to let them put it on an old abandoned road on the edge of my property. The dredging company said it will be about 2000 cubic yards of material in burlap bags. They said it will take about 6 months for it to dry out. I was thinking of putting it on a field that I have that has lots of very low spots to level the field once the material dries out. They told me that it is a combination of sand and organic material. Is there any downside to my allowing this material on my property? I will require that there be no hazardous material involved. Do you think that grass will grow in it once it is spread on the field? Will this material turn to mud when it gets wet? thanks

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Call your local Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. They know all about this type of thing and offer their services free of charge. They may send someone out to look things over and provide some useful thoughts. Good luck.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
We had a Long Reach track-hoe go around the circumference of our fish pond (about 2 acres) removing about 2'-3' of the muck on the bottom for about 20' out.

They just spread it out on the shoreline. Yes, it made a layer of mud for awhile, but the grass DID grow up through it and in about 6 months you couldn't tell it was ever there.

I suppose it depends on the 'make up' of what they remove.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My neighbor is having the pond dredged and they need a place to put the material. I offered to let them put it on an old abandoned road on the edge of my property. The dredging company said it will be about 2000 cubic yards of material in burlap bags. They said it will take about 6 months for it to dry out. I was thinking of putting it on a field that I have that has lots of very low spots to level the field once the material dries out. They told me that it is a combination of sand and organic material. Is there any downside to my allowing this material on my property? I will require that there be no hazardous material involved. Do you think that grass will grow in it once it is spread on the field? Will this material turn to mud when it gets wet? thanks
That material should be very rich soil with lots of decomposed organic matter. I’d love to have it in my garden.