M6040 telescopic sway bar has broken.

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham
I searched for this subject on prior thread but didn't see an answer.

Kubota parts expensive. Other than a turnbuckle, any suggestions? Part # S66461 sold by Hodge Farm Equipment is a possibility, but HFE person doesn't know if this part will work on a M6040.

Any advice given would be appreciated.

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham
You didn't say how much difference in price between OEM and Hodge.
I'm not sure the price difference, but I know Kubota part$. I LOVE my Kubota tractor but I'm at the point where I don't even call a K dealership for a price on a part if I can do something else.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Take the set to a fab/machine shop and get them to give you a quote for one or both.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
It would be interesting to know what ""type/amount of stress" caused telescoping side adjuster to break.

Technically if properly adjusted the ends of stabilizer should be pulling or pushing toward each other depending of direction draft link is attempting to move with opposite stabilizer if properly adjusted assisting with the stress.

Have you considered repairing broken part utilizing a welder?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Show us a picture of what "completely broke" is. It's all relative, comparing a repair to a new part that may/maynot be in stock.

Kubota price should not be the determining factor for some parts, because oftentimes Kubota parts fit correctly and ls better material.

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham
It would be interesting to know what ""type/amount of stress" caused telescoping side adjuster to break.

Technically if properly adjusted the ends of stabilizer should be pulling or pushing toward each other depending of direction draft link is attempting to move with opposite stabilizer if properly adjusted assisting with the stress.

After 15 years of pretty nasty rotary cutting (I don't have the pleasure of rotary cutting pastures) with a Hvy Duty Woods Rotary Cutter (I'm within the HP limits to the implement) and a 8' disk, understandably, their lifetime was up. I really didn't want to get into it (it take words to explain) but I lost one of the sway bars while bushhogging thick stuff and then I HAD to finish a disking/planting job before a rain hit so my back was against the wall to get it done and the disk was too much for one sway bar and it broke at the neck where it connects to the tractor. I know... I know.... I should not expect one sway bar to handle a hvy duty 8' disk but I had to get shit done. It was my choice to push it and I'm paying the price.

So maybe there is not a better choice than to buy two more OEM sway bars which is probably what I'm going to do.

Thanks for everyone's reply and willingness to help!!! :)

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham
Show us a picture of what "completely broke" is. It's all relative, comparing a repair to a new part that may/maynot be in stock.

Kubota price should not be the determining factor for some parts, because oftentimes Kubota parts fit correctly and ls better material.
You're 100% correct!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
After 15 years of pretty nasty rotary cutting (I don't have the pleasure of rotary cutting pastures) with a Hvy Duty Woods Rotary Cutter (I'm within the HP limits to the implement) and a 8' disk, understandably, their lifetime was up. I really didn't want to get into it (it take words to explain) but I lost one of the sway bars while bushhogging thick stuff and then I HAD to finish a disking/planting job before a rain hit so my back was against the wall to get it done and the disk was too much for one sway bar and it broke at the neck where it connects to the tractor. I know... I know.... I should not expect one sway bar to handle a hvy duty 8' disk but I had to get shit done. It was my choice to push it and I'm paying the price.

So maybe there is not a better choice than to buy two more OEM sway bars which is probably what I'm going to do.

Thanks for everyone's reply and willingness to help!!! :)
Perhaps you already know this, but three point mounted discs should be lifted before turning.

Sorry, can't help with sway bar interchangeability, and, yes, buying two sway bar assemblies from Kubota is going to be expensive.

SDT

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA

On the L3200 I had, one of the telescopic bars bent pretty bad because there was too much slop and the implement pulled hard to one side. The trick to avoiding that is to adjust the bars so they can't suffer a lot of compressive force. They were super strong when the force was pulling them, but not so much when the force was pushing them. When tractors had chains serving the purpose, it was a non-issue because you can't push a chain.

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham
Perhaps you already know this, but three point mounted discs should be lifted before turning.

Sorry, can't help with sway bar interchangeability, and, yes, buying two sway bar assemblies from Kubota is going to be expensive.

SDT
I certainly do lift my discs on a turn. I may hv to bite the bullet and buy two of’em from Kubota.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I certainly do lift my discs on a turn. I may hv to bite the bullet and buy two of’em from Kubota.
If disk is raised during turns I see no reason extreme pressure is applied to sway bar during turns. But $320 for the pair of stabilizers isn't too bad.

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham
If disk is raised during turns I see no reason extreme pressure is applied to sway bar during turns. But $320 for the pair of stabilizers isn't too bad.
My tractor doesn't ride across pastures and for 15 yrs, it's taken a lot of hard work. I am very satisfied with my Kubota. As I said, I lost one sway bar (it just came off) while working in extreme conditions w/my 6' Hvy Duty Woods Rotary Cutter. So after 15 years of very hard work, when the stress was on just ONE sway bar, it was just too much to handle. More than likely, had the tractor been new, the lone sway bar would not have broken, but it's been through A LOT of stress for 15 years and the sway bar broke at the neck of where it attaches to my tractor. I wasn't surprised. I very much realized that the sway bars should not break, but when you only have one sway bar and your implement is at the upper limits of my tractor (and NO... it's "NOT over" the limits of my tractor... I feel like I have to make that clear!) and I HAVE to get something done as I'm under a time window, I pushed it.

Too many ppl think they know or assume the negative. I get it... I know... my sway bar is broken. I did nothing wrong other than push it to the limit. When I'm discing, I pick up my disc when I turn around and I don't expect my disc or tractor to take the punishment of side stress and I have more sense than to attempt turning while my disc is in the ground. If after 15 years and just shy of 3000 hrs on my tractor, if I did what I've been accused of doing, I would have broken my disc AND sway bars MUCH sooner, don't ya think?!?!?!? I have almost 3000 hrs on this tractor and it's performed beautifully... but things break!!!! Things break EVEN IF... IF they're well cared for. That's just the way it is!!!!! Esp after 15 years of hard conditions bushhogging in VERY rough conditions... things break.

I just thought that maybe someone would have an answer to my delima and I don't care for guys not accepting my issues and trying for the life of themselves, figuring out HOW I BROKE A SWAY BAR and question me instead of attempting to find an answer for me and maybe someone else who has had the same thing. If sway bars didn't break, then Kubota would not sell them individually. I don't need guys to question why or assume I'm an idiot. Just accept the fact that my sway bars broke and if you know an answer, then offer it. Don't sit behind your computer screen and question why I broke the sway bar! It takes too long (but I had to for you) to explain all the details as to WHY my sway bar broke so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop guessing why it broke and accuse and assume that I did something wrong!! But thanks for your response.

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
You will not be troubled by my replies AGAIN after this one!!!

I've been operating/associated with tractors for 65 yrs. I'm sure you must have a lot more experience with farm equipment than I do. In that 65 yrs I was employed 21 yrs by a equipment dealer 9 of those yrs demonstrating/delivering equipment & 13 yrs as dealer service manager.

I hope you have a nice day because I know I will. Jim

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham
You will not be troubled by my replies AGAIN after this one!!!

I've been operating/associated with tractors for 65 yrs. I'm sure you must have a lot more experience with farm equipment than I do. In that 65 yrs I was employed 21 yrs by a equipment dealer 9 of those yrs demonstrating/delivering equipment & 13 yrs as dealer service manager.

I hope you have a nice day because I know I will. Jim
That sounds great! Thanks!