L4400 won't turn over

JB.75

Jul 17, 2011
Texas
My tractor wont turn over. The battery reads 12.3 v. When I turn key nothing. PTO is off, clutch depressed, on seat---- nothing!!

Any suggestions??

Thanks, JB

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
I'll bet you need a new battery. Full charge should be 13.2-13.6 volts. Leave your meter on the battery and turn the key to start it --- I'll bet that the voltage drops a lot. It should stay higher than 12 volts.

JB.75

Jul 17, 2011
Texas
Well.... I tried charging the battery. It stayed charged around 13.2 volts and when I turned the key dropped to 12.8. I also tried jumping the tractor ...... Nothing!! It seems to me that even with a dead battery, I would get the motor/starter to at least turn over or click. I get nothing. It is a new tractor, I got it 10 months ago. I am about 4.5 hours from a dealer. Not sure if they will come get it. Will have to call tomorrow. It has to be a safety switch. I can hear the seat switch clicking something when I wiggle it or bounce on seat. Not sure if the clutch switch is working. I know it goes in, but can't tell if it works. I also messed with the PTO switch. Looks fine to me. Two contacts seem to make contact where they should. Does anyone know if you can just disconnect the switches and the tractor will still work. It would at least let me find the problem...... Baffles me, the tractor worked perfect 3 weekends ago when I needed it.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Most starters have 2 wires, 1 large and 1 small. The large carries the main voltage from the batt to the starter windings. The small one is what energizes the starter, it is fed from the start switch thru all the safety switches. You can run a wire from the batt and just touch the small terminal, starter should engage. If not, ck for batt volts at the starter on the large wire. Loosen the jnut and clean the terminals. If the starter now engauges, safety switches or ignition switch.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I cut the safety switch for my seat switch (troy bilt mower) and it runs fine.
Hopefully it will work for you.

Double check your ground.
Check any and all fuses.