L3901 stalls after 15 minutes

Gbeard

Aug 15, 2016
Ozark, AR
I have a Kabota L3901 HST that has 115.0 hrs on it. I was brush hogging and the tractor seemed like it loaded up really bad, made some funny noise and finally shut itself off (sounded like the engine was seizing or hydraulic pump was seizing). It would not start back, when trying to start it back the starter seemed to drag or the battery wasn't strong enough to turn the motor over. After waiting 15-30 minutes and cooled down it started and drove normal. After hogging for another 15 or less minutes, same thing over and over. It happened six times and after checking all fluid levels, changing all filters and rubbing my head I'm out of ideas, any thoughts?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
check fuel cap , any chance the vent is blocked?

Takota

Equipment
L3301
Jan 27, 2016
Sanford, Fl
Try just driving the tractor for 20-30 minutes to see if maybe the pump is over working or the brushhog isn't bogging it down.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Clean screens and radiator in case there is a bunch of chaff there.

Engine should still be under warranty, and the ECU should be storing a code for what is happening. Call your dealer first before undertaking too much exploratory surgery :confused:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I would look at the element ( 080 in diagram ) in the water separator to see if it has anything on it. It is a very fine screen and I had something build up on it and it cause some problems. Took it out and cleaned off in some diesel, put it back in and it solved my problem.

Attachments

Gbeard

Aug 15, 2016
Ozark, AR
I've checked the seat switch and air screen. I did pour the water separator out but did not clean the screen, I'll try that tomorrow.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I did pour the water separator out but did not clean the screen, I'll try that tomorrow.
What ever was on/in mine was almost the same color as the element and didn't look like it was dirty, so the first time I checked it I thought it was clean. Hope this fixes your troubles.

Gbeard

Aug 15, 2016
Ozark, AR
I cleaned the screen in the water separator, removed and cleaned and blew out fuel tank. Blew out all other fuel lines. Got it started, it ran for about 15 minutes and same thing. Died like the engine was seizing up or hydraulics was over pressurized and locked up. Wouldn't immediately start back, acted like the battery was weak or the engine was extremely hot(it wasn't)Let it cool down for 30 minutes and it started. I'm scratching my head, anymore thoughts?

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
If it's under warranty I would get your dealer involved before doing too much more. I hope it's something really simple, as I'm sure you are as well, but you could have a serious issue. I ran a test cell for testing locomotive engines on a dyno after rebuild. Sounds like it's possible you have a bearing seizing up. Maybe not, but something is getting very hot, causing a shut down, and then only can be turned over by your starter after things have cooled back down.

Good luck and be careful.
Ted

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
When you said you checked the fuel cap for venting issue..... how did you do that?

Get a flash light and look in your fuel tank for debris. Doubt that with it being rather consistent in the time it takes to bog but still possible.

Second the warranty check if still in that time range.

Gbeard

Aug 15, 2016
Ozark, AR
I cried uncle, I took it to the dealer today. After they find out what it is I'll let everyone know, thanks for all the input

Gbeard

Aug 15, 2016
Ozark, AR
OK guys, here what the dealer said. When I first took it in they noted some engine fault in the computer. Then they said it was the crank angle sensor. So I waited another week and checked again and now they are replacing the entire engine. I'm not really sure what was wrong with the engine but like I said in one of my original post, it acted like the engine was seizing up. So I'm not sure if the crank angle sensor messed the engine up by giving the computer bad information or what.... Regardless of what caused it, they said it was completely covered under warranty. So only thing I'm out was a few weeks down time and a lot of headaches trying to figure this out. Thanks again for all your input

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
Thanks great they are replacing it under warranty! Good to hear... Thanks for the follow up info. Sounds like maybe something was seizing up.

Ted

Tkoch1016

Equipment
L3901
Sep 3, 2017
CEDAR
Did they ever give you a definitive answer as to what was wrong, I just started having the same problem I've only let it stall twice and have been very concerned as to what is happening, L3901 also

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If Gbeard does not get back to you, and you have checked all the usual suspects in the fuel supply chain, your dealer should be able to find out from regional/national Kubota service reps. Something as big as an engine replacement they should be able to search the records and find. Your warranty should still be good on the engine and dpf related parts.