L3800DT White Smoke after Overheat

JLMullins

Equipment
L3800 Gear 4X4
Feb 25, 2014
TN
I have read the messages about the small amount of white smoke upon start up. Here is my problem, I had a limb come up from the bottom and broke the bottom of the radiator, the engine over heated and it was like that for some time. There was no hot smell, no smoke, no steam, nothing I like what I have seen before when I would have a fan belt brake. Finally noticed the problem no water in the radiator but had water in the reservoir. I filed the radiator and got it back together the started it and the white smoke poured from it with some loud knocking. Ok diesels smoke and I did not use the glow plug. So I decided to drive it and see what happens, after about a minute the knocking stopped but still looks like a smoke grenade coming from the exhaust. Drove it for about three to four minutes and the smoke ended. I have no loss of power everything seems the same while operating. I shut it of and restart it smokes the same but just a few seconds. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? It never smoked before at all at startup other than the first puff of smoke upon ignition. I'm looking to find a service / work manual for it. I purchased the downloadable L3830 and it is somewhat different. Do they have the same engine? I have asked around and some say it is the head gasket. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jimmy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Blown head gasket or cracked head.
Pull the head and inspect the gasket and the head. ;)