L3800 HST pedal adjustment

ranger4327

Equipment
L3800
Apr 2, 2012
Northern Maine, USA
anyone familiar with or know specifics on the HST pedal adjustment? I been having starting issues (rapid clicking while starting) for a while and believe that is the problem. I took a quick look at it, but..... tight spot and couldn't see where to make adjustments. Also, is there a grease fitting for the pedal? I did not see one.... any and all help on this is greatly appreciated !!! Thanks in advance !!!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
If it's the same as my L3200, the adjustment was at the switch located under the dash. No need to even crawl under the tractor. One picture shows the location looking toward the dash, and the other shows a closeup of the switch.

I removed the L-shaped bracket because it was a either a bit too tight for my hands or the switch wouldn't spin while it was still in place. I don't recall if the bracket is tapped or not but sort of think it was.

The switch plunger operates it OFF-ON-OFF if I recall, And it has 4 wires going to it. So the adjustment is a bit more important than that of an OFF-ON switch. There's a sweet spot in the middle. I posted info when I first did mine. That was probably in mid-2012 and likely has better details than what I remember today.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Nice photos, chim. In this case the L3200 is the same as the L3800.

Ranger, there is no grease fitting at the pedal. But these moving parts need lubrication.

As chim has pointed out, adjustment can be made at the switch and bracket to move the plunger up or down.

Getting down on the right side of the tractor you can use your left hand to move the pedal and observe the mechanics under the tractor. The plunger should be hit with the arm when the pedal is in center position.

You can electrically test by removing the switch connector. There are two switches to check. One is from pins 1 to 2, the other from pins 3 to 4. Resistance should be zero when pushing the plunger.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
In the past I encounter problems with my L3800 starting....related to the HST pedal.
I elected to make a small L bracket and place over the switch of the sensor......installed in backwards in it's original position so that it can be easily returned to operate as originally designed at a future day and time. I didn't have this on my old L3010, and think I can live without it on the L3800 as well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ranger - you said the issue is rapid clicking while starting.

Does the tractor turn over when this is happening?

Obviously chim, Jim and wendol have encountered a problem with the pedal switch before, so I'm probably way off.

Doesn't a faulty/maladjusted switch prevent the tractor from turning over/energizing the start system with the L3200/3800?

I was wondering if it's a battery/ground/wiring problem causing the clicking sound (e.g., starter, solenoid) instead of the pedal switch, if that makes any sense.

Again, you guys all know better than I since you've dealt with it. I just took the problem differently, so wanted to throw it out.

At this point I hope you are all correct, because you have ranger's fix all figured out! That's one of the great things with OTT...."oh yeah, I had that problem and this is how I fixed it!" :cool:

Last edited:

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Doesn't a faulty/maladjusted switch prevent the tractor from turning over/energizing the start system with the L3200/3800?

I was wondering if it's a battery/ground/wiring problem causing the clicking sound (e.g., starter, solenoid) instead of the pedal switch, if that makes any sense.
Good point, RCW.

Usually a rapid clicking indicates that there is not enough energy to hold a field. Which does go to battery/ground, loose or corroded relay contacts, etc.

ranger4327

Equipment
L3800
Apr 2, 2012
Northern Maine, USA
thanks guys... great help. I am thinking and hoping its in the pedal/switch. I thought I had the problem solved by cleaning the contacts at the starter, but the clicking returned.

In looking at the HST pedal switch plunger, I jiggled up and on the plunger and noticed it wasn't completely seated in, on the bracket. I pushed it back down in, just a hair to where it should be and it started without clicking. I am optimistic this is the problem but you know how that goes. I will loosen and adjust the bracket in a little bit too and see if that helps as well....

So, am I even remotely close in thinking that if the plunger sensor is not in that "sweet" spot or is on the edge, It would produce the clicking?

Need to get this figured out... thanks again folks !!!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
If the plunger is in a fuzzy position, cutting in and out, interrupting, it could look like what is happening.

Bruz

Equipment
L3800HD
Jul 28, 2017
Australia
secure2aus.wix.com
In the past I encounter problems with my L3800 starting....related to the HST pedal.
I elected to make a small L bracket and place over the switch of the sensor......installed in backwards in it's original position so that it can be easily returned to operate as originally designed at a future day and time. I didn't have this on my old L3010, and think I can live without it on the L3800 as well.

Bruz

Equipment
L3800HD
Jul 28, 2017
Australia
secure2aus.wix.com
Hi Wendol, how’s this working for you? I have the L3800HST and Currenfly am hot wiring it! Still trying to identify and eliminate all switches.. Ruled out the seat safety.
Mine has the BH77 backhoe on permenantly.
The PTO, Neutral and Pedal seem okay! Am I missing one? Thanks for any help.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
So, am I even remotely close in thinking that if the plunger sensor is not in that "sweet" spot or is on the edge, It would produce the clicking?
That is the most common symptom of the switch needing screwed in a turn and a half.
The switch is OPEN until it is depressed in a bit, then it is CLOSED to the bottom of the stroke. The engine does not crack until the switch is CLOSED.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Bruz said
The PTO, Neutral and Pedal seem okay! Am I missing one? Thanks for any help

Bruz, welcome to the forum. You should download a free Workshop Manual (WSM) for the L3200 which has the same schematics for the L3800.

Your L3800HST has 2 PTO switches; 2 HST switches; 1 clutch switch; a seat switch with 3 positions: sitting on seat, up off of seat, and seat tilted forward.

These switches feed into an Operator Presence Control (OPC) that in turn feeds the key stop solenoid relay.

Some are grounded and some are hot; you need the schematic to figure it out.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Hi Wendol, how’s this working for you? I have the L3800HST and Currenfly am hot wiring it! Still trying to identify and eliminate all switches.. Ruled out the seat safety.
The PTO, Neutral and Pedal seem okay! Am I missing one? Thanks for any help.
Still working 100% of the time.......no more symptoms of weak battery etc.