L285 pto shaft removal/ bearing replacement.

wiseco 84

Equipment
l285
Aug 6, 2017
sand springs
Hey guys I recently brought an older L285 back to life. My first pass through the field the darn thing started puking from the pto shaft seal. I removed the small housing and found the rear bearing of the pto shaft had fallen apart. so I start reading through my shop manual to find out how to remove the shaft because the bearing has to be installed from the front of the shaft. shop manual only goes over complete over haul. so i started to research online. I couldn't find anything.

I'm a plumber by trade so I took my inspection camera and looked at how the shafts connects inside. found a small coupling where the pto shafts meet. there are no snap rings holding the coupling in place so I started pulling on the shaft toward the rear and wiggling and it came right out. I Hope this helps somebody who ever comes across this problem. the shaft simply pulls out the rear.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Great post and pics, very helpful to others working on these earlier models. The sliding couplings are found in several places in Kubota gearboxes. They enable splitting the machine in different locations, depending on what it needs. Welcome to OTT

TAV

Equipment
l285
Jan 14, 2022
nebraska
Hey guys I recently brought an older L285 back to life. My first pass through the field the darn thing started puking from the pto shaft seal. I removed the small housing and found the rear bearing of the pto shaft had fallen apart. so I start reading through my shop manual to find out how to remove the shaft because the bearing has to be installed from the front of the shaft. shop manual only goes over complete over haul. so i started to research online. I couldn't find anything.

I'm a plumber by trade so I took my inspection camera and looked at how the shafts connects inside. found a small coupling where the pto shafts meet. there are no snap rings holding the coupling in place so I started pulling on the shaft toward the rear and wiggling and it came right out. I Hope this helps somebody who ever comes across this problem. the shaft simply pulls out the rear.
Hi there , found this post and hope you are still on this site. So I have al285 also that’s leaking at the pto. I took off the four bolts of the housing but it will only pull out 1/2 or so. Tried about everything is there something I could be missing. Any help would be much appreciated.