L2501 roll bar lights - CNC aluminum brackets

Designdude

Equipment
Kubota L2501, FEL, Backhoe, pallet forks
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
Hi all - I developed a custom bracket system for LED lights and roll bars on my other tractors out of necessity, and recently added to my L2501 earlier this year. I wanted ROPS illumination for early mornings & evenings in the woods. The mounting plates are a universal plate design adaptable for a variety of light styles, including single heads and longer light bars. Flexibility allows for multi-locations, front and back facing, and easy installation using u-bolts. I machined the aluminum parts on a CNC router using 1/4” thick material. The rearward light versions include 3D-printed adapters for improved angles to aim when digging with the backhoe or backing into the barn. I also designed and 3D-printed a compact 4-switch housing with laser cut faceplate for the weatherproof rocker switches. It is mounted under the FEL controls for a factory appearance and fit. The results thus far have worked very well.

Attachments

Reactions: 7 users

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
Beautiful work! Congratulations. How long did the 3D printing take?
The prints ran overnight on my office machines. Probably 5-6 hrs. Then some post-processing during prototype assembly. Attached are some more pics of the adjustable LED adapters and switch box.

Attachments

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Great work guy!

CNC machining and 3D printing are amazing technologies.

Need something custom made? No problem, design it with CAD/CAM and tell the machine to make it.
Not quite to Star Trek replicator technology yet, but it's a step in that direction.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only issue with using aluminum brackets on the steel ROPS is, you'll get corrosion from dissimilar metals on contact with each other if there is ANY direct contact, IOW any breach in the paint coat on the ROPS under the brackets. Steel U bolts securing a steel bracket is much better and much less expensive.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Only issue with using aluminum brackets on the steel ROPS is, you'll get corrosion from dissimilar metals on contact with each other if there is ANY direct contact, IOW any breach in the paint coat on the ROPS under the brackets. Steel U bolts securing a steel bracket is much better and much less expensive.
One could always use something like material from an inner tube to insulate between the two, plus it would help grip better.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The prints ran overnight on my office machines. Probably 5-6 hrs. Then some post-processing during prototype assembly. Attached are some more pics of the adjustable LED adapters and switch box.

PLA?
ABS?

Which do you prefer?

What infill rate? 15% or higher?

I have noticed in my 3 prints - the PLA cannot stand heat. I have had items in my car over the summer and car get very hot - pieces moved!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
PETG holds up really good. I have printed a couple radiation shields for my outside temperature/humidity sensors and they are holding up great.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
PETG holds up really good. I have printed a couple radiation shields for my outside temperature/humidity sensors and they are holding up great.
Plus, PETG isn't nearly as finicky about the bed temperature as ABS is, or need to have the printer enclosed to retain heat. I used PETG to print all the parts used in building me Hypercube, and never had any adhesion or curling problems.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice work. I like how you made the adjustment for the light angle. It looks like it has a wide range, to suit any need.

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
I spray a very thin coat of fluid film on the aluminum brackets and U-bolts without any problem of corrosion. Been using this bracket system on other tractors and equipment for several years. Never any problems. The u-bolts are stainless. Yes, a bit more expensive for material costs, but premium appearance. The bracket edges are chamfered so no sharp edges to dig into powder-coat on roll bar. I keep my equipment very clean, so maintenance is always priority. The install is very simple for a variety of lights, which was my goal, and I can easily CNC the brackets in my model shop.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
PLA?
ABS?

Which do you prefer?

I have noticed in my 3 prints - the PLA cannot stand heat. I have had items in my car over the summer and car get very hot - pieces moved!
These 3D-printed parts were made on Formlabs SLA machines. So printing with professional engineering materials makes them totally functional. The material is a tough liquid resin compound and 3D-parts are grown from the tray with a laser. They get post cured with heat and UV light for strength. I’ve print rubber grommets as well for wiring and end caps, etc.

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
PLA?
ABS?

Which do you prefer?

These were printed on professional SLA machines from a tough liquid resin compound. They ‘grow’ from a tray using lasers to solidify the resin into physical parts. Then post cured with heat and UV light. Very strong and functional for outdoor use. Rubber grommets and flexible pieces also are ‘grown’ for wiring connections, end caps, etc.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Lots of nice stuff but no prices. I have to inquire as to how much for say the ROPS brackets for instance?

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
Lots of nice stuff but no prices. I have to inquire as to how much for say the ROPS brackets for instance?
Thanks for the interest Flip. I’ll post info upcoming for the brackets. Many prototypes are underway to fit a variety of options. (Note: The 3D-parts were created only for my personal Kubota needs, as I needed angle adjustability for backhoe purposes.) The aluminum CNC bracket system is the real hero for adding ROPS lights. A simple mount solution that folks can quickly add to their tractors.