L2501 Front Weights and Grill Guard options ???

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
The new tractor setup I want will have R1 tires as I will be doing some plowing, bushhog, box blade, etc... I will not have a FL. but I do want front suitcase weights for traction and a grill guard up front for added weight and protection. Im being told from a dealer that if I want the front weights then I cant have the grill guard. So apparently I can have a grill guard by itself or the weights by themselves but I cant have both together. There seems to be controversy about this and thought someone might know the answer or a number I can call to find out for sure if I can have both. Grill guard ($300+) has been listed and priced in all my quotes from dealers until now here at the last minute with a local dealer just prior to this deal going down. I had Grill Guard listed to him as my options before the price quote but now he said I cant have both but didnt adjust the price total but there was not an itemized price breakdown before the initial quote he gave me so.....???...But anyway, when you are on "Build Your Kubota" website it shows the Grill Guard option and you can also select to have a total of 7 front weights as well. (?-IDK) Maybe I really dont need a Grill Guard and I guess that I would be fine with just front weights by themselves but would like to hear other opinions or options about this if anyone has any experience with it.
Thanks

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
The grill guard on mine has room for 4 of the 55lbs weights. I don’t have them because I have a loader. Should work for you since you will not have a loader.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
The grill guard on mine has room for 4 of the 55lbs weights. I don’t have them because I have a loader. Should work for you since you will not have a loader.
Sounds great, thanks for the help.
All the information Im getting from my closest dealers salesman is that I can either have a grill guard by itself or 5 suitcase weights, one or the other and thats it, apparently no other option.
Its not really a deal breaker, I just prefer clarity in my choices.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I thought there use to be a phone number for Kubota where you could call and get answers to questions like this. I called a few days ago and they said I need to ask my dealer but the problem is that Im getting different answers from different dealers. Some say no grill guard and that you must have a specific weight bracket and some say you can have both but only up to three weights with the grill guard...Go figure.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Here is a picture of my grill guard, as you can see there are the four holes for bolting the weights down.

Hope this helps.
Thats really great. I dont understand why Im getting different stories. I will look at the grill guards next time in town and see how they compare to this picture you posted.
Thanks for the picture and response.
I wish that I would have thought to look at them when I was at the dealer and noticed the four holes.
I also dont understand why my local salesman didnt clearly explain all my options.
The "build your kubota" site is not correct in regards to this issue and thats alright with me but its times like this the salesman should explain.
I mean goodness alive, if I told him I wanted a grill guard, then he should have said I could have a grill guard but only with 4 weights but he did not. I originally asked for 5 weights and a grill guard but all he said was that I could not have a grill guard with 5 weights and didnt say nothing about 4 weights...arrrgg. If all this info is correct then that sounds pretty simple to me. And this salesman has been there several years.
I dont normally like to whine and cry but dog-gone its Like plucking hens teeth with some people.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The new tractor setup I want will have R1 tires as I will be doing some plowing, bushhog, box blade, etc... I will not have a FL. but I do want front suitcase weights for traction and a grill guard up front for added weight and protection. Im being told from a dealer that if I want the front weights then I cant have the grill guard. So apparently I can have a grill guard by itself or the weights by themselves but I cant have both together. There seems to be controversy about this and thought someone might know the answer or a number I can call to find out for sure if I can have both. Grill guard ($300+) has been listed and priced in all my quotes from dealers until now here at the last minute with a local dealer just prior to this deal going down. I had Grill Guard listed to him as my options before the price quote but now he said I cant have both but didnt adjust the price total but there was not an itemized price breakdown before the initial quote he gave me so.....???...But anyway, when you are on "Build Your Kubota" website it shows the Grill Guard option and you can also select to have a total of 7 front weights as well. (?-IDK) Maybe I really dont need a Grill Guard and I guess that I would be fine with just front weights by themselves but would like to hear other opinions or options about this if anyone has any experience with it.
Thanks
Most (not all) Kubota grill guards have provisions to mount some front weights.

Some (not all) grill guards can be simultaneously mounted with the front weight bracket.

You will not be able to rely on the Kubota build your own application to answer your question because the application likely will not consider all option combinations incompatible simply because they cannot be installed at the same time.

I just thoroughly researched this scenario before buying my B3350 and found the operators manual, which I had read before buying the tractor, to be incorrect. The operators manual clearly states that three weights can be installed to the tractor frame without a front weight bracket and with or without a grill guard. A front weight bracket is necessary to install more than 3 weights (5 max).

Though I already had a full set of 5 front weights and weight bracket, this was/is important to me because I needed three front weights but did not need 5. Moreover, the front weight bracket (not just the weights) must be removed to mount the FEL. I did not want to R & R both grill guard and front weight bracket each spring and fall when I R & R the FEL and rotary cutter. After inspecting the, as yet unbought, tractor and my already owned set of weights and bracket, I questioned how one could mount 3 front weights without a front weight bracket as the operators manual clearly states can be done. Dealer assured me that operators manual was correct.

Turns out, there is no provision to mount weights on the B3350 grill guard and the provision to mount 3 weights onto the tractor frame has been removed on the B3350 for reasons which I will not go into. The operators manual is out of date in this regard and clearly incorrect. Consequently, I find myself in a situation where I must R & R both grill guard and front weight bracket each spring and fall, exactly the situation that I sought to avoid.

FWIW, 4 front weights can be installed onto the grill guard of my L6060 but a front weight bracket is required to mount 5-7. I cannot remember if the front weight bracket can be mounted simultaneously with the grill guard but 4 weights suffices for my conditions so I have never mounted the grill guard.

The only way that I know to conclusively answer your question is to try it.

SDT

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looking at Mdhughe's picture, is there enough room when the weights are hung on the bracket to clear the front end loader cross brace?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Looking at Mdhughe's picture, is there enough room when the weights are hung on the bracket to clear the front end loader cross brace?
Certainly not.

I know of no Kubotas where front weights can be installed simultaneously with the FEL, and doing so would be inadvisable in any regard and likely void one's warranty due to unacceptable stresses upon the front axle and hubs.

That said, the front weight bracket (without weights) can be left in place on some models (generally larger models) while the FEL is attached.

This is true of my M9960 but not so with my L6060 or, obviously, B3350.

SDT

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Most (not all) Kubota grill guards have provisions to mount some front weights.

Some (not all) grill guards can be simultaneously mounted with the front weight bracket.

You will not be able to rely on the Kubota build your own application to answer your question because the application likely will not consider all option combinations incompatible simply because they cannot be installed at the same time.

I just thoroughly researched this scenario before buying my B3350 and found the operators manual, which I had read before buying the tractor, to be incorrect. The operators manual clearly states that three weights can be installed to the tractor frame without a front weight bracket and with or without a grill guard. A front weight bracket is necessary to install more than 3 weights (5 max).

Though I already had a full set of 5 front weights and weight bracket, this was/is important to me because I needed three front weights but did not need 5. Moreover, the front weight bracket (not just the weights) must be removed to mount the FEL. I did not want to R & R both grill guard and front weight bracket each spring and fall when I R & R the FEL and rotary cutter. After inspecting the, as yet unbought, tractor and my already owned set of weights and bracket, I questioned how one could mount 3 front weights without a front weight bracket as the operators manual clearly states can be done. Dealer assured me that operators manual was correct.

Turns out, there is no provision to mount weights on the B3350 grill guard and the provision to mount 3 weights onto the tractor frame has been removed on the B3350 for reasons which I will not go into. The operators manual is out of date in this regard and clearly incorrect. Consequently, I find myself in a situation where I must R & R both grill guard and front weight bracket each spring and fall, exactly the situation that I sought to avoid.

FWIW, 4 front weights can be installed onto the grill guard of my L6060 but a front weight bracket is required to mount 5-7. I cannot remember if the front weight bracket can be mounted simultaneously with the grill guard but 4 weights suffices for my conditions so I have never mounted the grill guard.

The only way that I know to conclusively answer your question is to try it.

SDT
Thanks for taking the time to explain your experience and knowledge on this.
No doubt there is conflicting options.
I will do some more research and phone calling tomorrow myself as well.

I have been told consistently, no weights in use with Fel, but I dont know this from personal experience.
Thanks

Certainly not.

I know of no Kubotas where front weights can be installed simultaneously with the FEL, and doing so would be inadvisable in any regard and likely void one's warranty due to unacceptable stresses upon the front axle and hubs.

That said, the front weight bracket (without weights) can be left in place on some models (generally larger models) while the FEL is attached.

This is true of my M9960 but not so with my L6060 or, obviously, B3350.

SDT
This sounds like what I was told.
Thanks

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks for taking the time to explain your experience and knowledge on this.
No doubt there is conflicting options.
I will do some more research and phone calling tomorrow myself as well.

I have been told consistently, no weights in use with Fel, but I dont know this from personal experience.
Thanks

This sounds like what I was told.
Thanks
Glad to help.

FWIW, though I have never owned a 2501, and, therefore, cannot comment with certainly, I believe that 3 front weights can be frame mounted to your tractor. Though again not certain, I expect that the grill guard must be removed to do so.

Again, without certainty, I expect that 3 or 4 front weights can be attached to the grill guard used with your 2501.

Some dealers are experienced and helpful. Others are less so.

SDT

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Again, without certainty, I expect that 3 or 4 front weights can be attached to the grill guard used with your 2501.

Some dealers are experienced and helpful. Others are less so.

SDT
No doubt that you the nail on the head imo.
Thanks again.

degoniaorange82

Equipment
l2501hst, 5ft. tiller, box blade and finnish mower, subsoiler and plow
Nov 9, 2017
southwest indiana
Mdhughe's picture is the same as my l2501...My dealer stocks a weight that is not a Kubota brand weight, but identical. I purchased four from him, hardware included, for about half the price of the genuine Kubota weights. They bolt on fine, but cannot be used with fel...simple to remove or install when I am not using my fel.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Mdhughe's picture is the same as my l2501...My dealer stocks a weight that is not a Kubota brand weight, but identical. I purchased four from him, hardware included, for about half the price of the genuine Kubota weights. They bolt on fine, but cannot be used with fel...simple to remove or install when I am not using my fel.
Sounds like an interesting option.
Thanks

Update: I confirmed, as some have already mentioned, you can use 4 weights with the grill guard (which that was my original question) but you can not use the weights with FEL.

Last edited: