L1500DT Gears grinding Help

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
Hello all,
I could use some troubleshooting tips on my clutch/trans. When it gets warmed up, 30-45 min, I cannot get it to go into gear. So I drained the HYD fluid, cleaned the filter and no change. I split the tractor, replaced the disc, clutch, and release bearing and no change. I can start it in gear, drive it but as soon as I attempt to shift gear nothing but grinding. I'm not a mechanic so anything would help. Thank you

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you can split the tractor and change a clutch you probably are a mechanic, you just don't know it. Are you saying with the engine running you can depress the clutch and it makes no difference - you can't put the tractor into gear without grinding? Are you sure the clutch is properly adjusted? Are you depressing the clutch all the way before attempting to shift into gear? Has the tractor ever worked correctly for you?

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
OK , I got a tip to take the linkage apart from the pedal and use a wrench to see if I could manually get the clutch to disengage. Sure enough, it works. So now I have to figure out how to make my linkage longer to push the clutch fingers further in. Thank you.

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
If you can split the tractor and change a clutch you probably are a mechanic, you just don't know it. Are you saying with the engine running you can depress the clutch and it makes no difference - you can't put the tractor into gear without grinding? Are you sure the clutch is properly adjusted? Are you depressing the clutch all the way before attempting to shift into gear? Has the tractor ever worked correctly for you?
Yes, running and makes no difference. Yes, it grinds. I think its adjusted properly. Yes, all the way. Yes, it worked fine for the last 3 years and starting this past winter started grinding when hot.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Are you saying while the tractor is stopped (not moving) you can not press down on the clutch and shift gears?

What did the parts look like that you replaced when you had the clutch apart?

Are you sure you installed the clutch facing the flywheel correctly?

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
OK, It is definitely the linkage. It's not straight across and is hitting this piece of angle, first pic. The safety switch metal on the pedal comes nowhere near the switch. Whoever took it apart before me lost the cotter pin and used the spring to hold it together.
IMG_2609.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg

Attachments

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
Are you saying while the tractor is stopped (not moving) you can not press down on the clutch and shift gears?

What did the parts look like that you replaced when you had the clutch apart?

Are you sure you installed the clutch facing the flywheel correctly?
While stopped, I can press the clutch and I can feel it move, also opened inspection plate and verified contact, and it will not go into gear. I did install correctly. I think I have it figured out as the problem is the linkage at the pedal.