Kubota BT650,750 swing solution

haroldeveryman

Equipment
B20
Aug 13, 2017
ny
I have a 1990 Kubota B20 with a BT650AR backhoe. The AR stands for Auto Return, a nice feature which makes it possible to set the position of the swing on the backhoe and automatically return to the digging position after swinging to the side to dump the load. It is controlled by a "computer", a position sensor on the swing arm and two 12 volt solenoids which open and close valves to the swing cylinders as needed.
My machine has always had a flaky computer which sometimes fails completely, stopping the swing operation from working, or causes the swing operation to move at a snail's pace. I have found over the years that hitting the side of the console where the computer is mounted, brings the swing operation back to life temporarily.
I decided to unmount the computer and tuck it in underneath the console of the footrest plate so I could just tap it to fix the no-swing problem. That worked fine until last week when hitting the computer failed to solve the problem.
I tried to open the computer to see if there was a mechanical relay inside which would operate the swing solenoids, or perhaps a cold solder joint on a circuit board, however, I found that everything inside the steel box was potted with epoxy making it impossible to repair. A new computer costs $865.69 on half a dozen websites.
An alternative would be to remove the solenoids and the valve they control and replace it with a manual valve along with a few hundred dollars worth of miscellaneous parts. Total cost about $650 plus a day's labor.
Now, remember I said that the solenoids were 12 volt? So when the system failed the swing arm was swung all the way to the right and there was no way to move it, or so I thought. I dug up a 12-volt power supply from the basement, capable of delivering the 5 amps required to activate the solenoids and ran a test. Hotwiring the bottom solenoid with 12 volts thru a toggle switch, then starting the Kubota I was able to make the solenoid open and cause the swing arm to move to the center!! I thought to myself, how about using a single pole, double throw momentary toggle switch with 12 volts to the center lug and each of the solenoid wires to the outside lugs, then mounting the switch on the console.
That is exactly what I did and I now have a fully functional backhoe which will never fail to swing again due to a flaky computer. I found the 12-volt wire which is control by the key and wired it to the center lug of the SPDT toggle switch and wired each of the solenoids to the appropriate lugs and wired the ground wire to the other wires on the solenoid. Voila, works like a charm.
I have another vision of wiring the solenoids to a fancier rheostat type SPDT switch so I can apply the 12 volts to the solenoids slowly starting with about 5 volts. This would enable me to move the swing arm slowly if needed. As it is now, the toggle switch applies the full 12 volts to the solenoids, which causes the swing arm to move rapidly. Not too fast but a bit difficult to use if you want to precisely position the backhoe. I now do it by tapping the toggle switch quickly to move the arm is small increments. Perhaps a foot controlled rheostat in the 12-svolt wire??

Reactions: 1 user

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Welcome to OTT. Great Ingenuity on your solution. Sounds like a nice setup...... look forward to pics later.

We've been fighting a spam attacks. Toying with some settings so it may take short while before you can post pics. Will keep you posted

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sounds like a reasonable cure. I would not want to arm to be swinging faster then I felt comfortable with. The rheostat may be the answer.

Harold, isn't it terrible you can take some parts you have laying around and make something do what an $800 component should do!

haroldeveryman

Equipment
B20
Aug 13, 2017
ny
Sounds like a reasonable cure. I would not want to arm to be swinging faster then I felt comfortable with. The rheostat may be the answer.

Harold, isn't it terrible you can take some parts you have laying around and make something do what an $800 component should do!
I finally decided to implement the rheostat into the system. I purchased a heavy duty 5 ohm, 100-watt rheostat from Amazon and mounted it on top pf the Backhoe console.

I can now vary the swing speed from full to a very slow crawl for precise positionong. Works like a charm. I'll post pictures and maybe a video if the system permits.

BlazeOrange

Equipment
B20
Jan 27, 2019
Kalispell, MT
I realize this is an old thread, but did you ever implement the rheostat? If so, please provide an update. If not, might I ask where you got the 5 amp figure for the solenoids from? I'd like to try this this spring, and to properly size a rheostat, I'll need to know as much as possible about current draw. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I realize this is an old thread, but did you ever implement the rheostat? If so, please provide an update. If not, might I ask where you got the 5 amp figure for the solenoids from? I'd like to try this this spring, and to properly size a rheostat, I'll need to know as much as possible about current draw. Thanks!
Reread the thread, there was a post that was blocked and I unblocked it. ;)

BlazeOrange

Equipment
B20
Jan 27, 2019
Kalispell, MT
Thank you! That'll save me some electrical experimentation.

Now I just have to decide whether to install before or wait until after the ground thaws a little -- or at least until the wind chill gets above zero for a bit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you! That'll save me some electrical experimentation.

Now I just have to decide whether to install before or wait until after the ground thaws a little -- or at least until the wind chill gets above zero for a bit.
From the looks of it, that's be a couple weeks out for us! :(

David Greiner

Equipment
Kubota B20 with LT420 loader and BT750 auto return backhoe
Mar 23, 2021
Olympia Wa.
I have a B20 from 1991 with the same issues except that the price on parts has gone even higher. the "sensors" which are nothing more than sealed rheostats are $130 and $199 and the "computor" is just over a grand! Absurd.
I am so glad that you have tried this solution. I too have experimented and you have helped give me confidance that I too can accomplish this for a minute fraction of the cost. Just a little ingenuity. Thanks

ChilemanX4

Equipment
B20, B8200HST
Dec 6, 2020
Utah
An alternative would be to remove the solenoids and the valve they control and replace it with a manual valve along with a few hundred dollars worth of miscellaneous parts. Total cost about $650 plus a day's labor.
Does anyone know details for this alternative?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sorry to keep asking, but did anyone find the kit or part # fir that swing solenoid to manual valve swap?
Last post from the OP on this issue was 15 months ago.
He may be forever gone!