Jumpy 4330 GST

Farmer Hill

Equipment
L4330 GST, LA853 Loader
Jan 21, 2021
Florida
I've been searching the forums but I can't seem to narrow my problem down. My Kubota is jumpy moving - going forward and backward. It's not the 3-point hitch or the lift - those are smooth. Mine occurs for just a few seconds after changing from forward to reverse (or vice-versa). It 'bucks' a few times, and then smooths out. Local tractor mechanic said the clutch is good, (but he also said a part that I needed replaced was not available anywhere, and I found it in 10 minutes online). Any ideas what would cause this?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I've been searching the forums but I can't seem to narrow my problem down. My Kubota is jumpy moving - going forward and backward. It's not the 3-point hitch or the lift - those are smooth. Mine occurs for just a few seconds after changing from forward to reverse (or vice-versa). It 'bucks' a few times, and then smooths out. Local tractor mechanic said the clutch is good, (but he also said a part that I needed replaced was not available anywhere, and I found it in 10 minutes online). Any ideas what would cause this?
Are you in 2 or 4 wheel drive?
Is this on hard pavement or soft ground?
Has it always acted this way or is it something new?

Farmer Hill

Equipment
L4330 GST, LA853 Loader
Jan 21, 2021
Florida
Are you in 2 or 4 wheel drive?
Is this on hard pavement or soft ground?
Has it always acted this way or is it something new?
All good questions. It happens in both 4 and 2 wheel drive, on any ground. It's been this way since I acquired the tractor (given to me by a friend who no longer needs a tractor). It has been an issue for over a year now, it's why it was at the local tractor mechanic to see if the clutch needed replacing.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
All good questions. It happens in both 4 and 2 wheel drive, on any ground. It's been this way since I acquired the tractor (given to me by a friend who no longer needs a tractor). It has been an issue for over a year now, it's why it was at the local tractor mechanic to see if the clutch needed replacing.
I can't help, but I do have a couple more questions that may help the smart guys.
Is it worse on an incline?
Does your steering act peculiar during any of this?

Farmer Hill

Equipment
L4330 GST, LA853 Loader
Jan 21, 2021
Florida
I can't help, but I do have a couple more questions that may help the smart guys.
Is it worse on an incline?
Does your steering act peculiar during any of this?
Not much of an incline here - we're pretty coastal, so it's mostly flat. I don't notice it being worse either way. Steering is not affected during this time. One more note, though - it does seem to go longer when the tractor is in a lower gear. If I'm in a higher gear, it doesn't last as long.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
GST are very fluid picky.
Have you done a fluid and filter change?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I work on a lot of GST's, and most common reason for bad operation is bad fluid.

I would try that first;
Warm it up, then drain it, let take some time and drain completely.

Kubota UDT ( not generic UDT compatible / compliant fluid), SUDT2, or Mystik JT5 are the only fluids that I trust to perform properly.
Not to say other won't, I just haven't tested them myself.
And only Kubota hydraulic filters

Reactions: 1 user

Farmer Hill

Equipment
L4330 GST, LA853 Loader
Jan 21, 2021
Florida
I'll definitely go for the fluid/filter change, and update the progress, then.

Reactions: 1 user