I found the perfect tractor, but it has 10,000 to 12,000 hours

whoops

Jul 27, 2021
Western WA state
I've been looking for about 4 months now for a tractor like this, and one just popped up. The owner seems decent, and I got a good feeling from the phone call with him. He volunteered that even though the hour meter says 7,400 hours, it doesn't work and is probably more like 10,000 or even 12,000 hours.

It's a M7030SU, 4x4, with a loader. It also has a 13' arm flail mower on the back, which I don't need and will just sell.

He wants $13,000 OBO. He's 12 hours away, round trip. I can't just drive over and look at it easily.

If it weren't for the high hours, I'd buy it. But I'm really worried with that many hours on it. I was expecting 4,000 or 5,000.

Is that too many hours for that tractor?

edit-------

The only things he could think of that were wrong is that the E-brake /Parking brake doesn't work or isn't hooked up, and the seat is pretty trashed and soaks up water.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
12K hours is a few !!!

But the real question should be ....... HOW was this tractor taken care of?

Does the owner have records of how this engine was treated? All oil changes.... filters.....

Start it cold - it may smoke, but for how long?

12 hours coming home empty handed is NOT all that bad, but seeing it through may allow a for a price more in your price range.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t think the hours are equal to hours. That is, was it overheated, idled, in medium range full out, etc. As 85Hokie said, was it maintained, etc.

I think I’d check with a dealer on what an overhaul and transmission rebuild might cost just in case.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If it has a flail, does that mean it's been doing extensive mowing? If so then perhaps they are "easy" hours at constant revs, rather than lots of start/stop hours.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
As the saying goes there is no free lunch. Over the years I have had many framer friends buy high hour tractors trying to save a dollar. Most of the time it doesn't work out in the end to be a cheaper tractor. Had a buddy bring a 8000 series JD out of the south he now has more money in the tractor than a local 4000 or 5000 hour tractor would have been and the resale is not good because its a high hour tractor. Did have a buddy buy a 7000 JD with loader that had been on a dairy with high hours and it been a good tractor but the engine and trans PTO had already been rebuilt by JD the tractor had been serviced well as the dairy used it every day. I have seen low hour tractors that were junk as the owner hadn't taken care of the tractor. Had that happen to a friend he bought a lower hour 8000 JD on a farm sale paid upper end on the price scale very clean tractor but it must had been ran low on water and over heated at one time as he ended up with a cracked head and had to overhaul the engine. This tractor you looking at would have to have a complete set of records and look like it had been well cared for to even make the drive to look at it. Its probably mowed a lot of road ditches and that's a very dirty job for a engine and the PTO has been worked hard. I put about 200 hours a year batwing mowing on my farms with ditches, fields and etc not easy hours on a tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Have him fax you full and complete maintenance records (they should be documented in the appropriate section of the manual with dates).

If he doesn't have them then I would be done. Not saying I would still buy it even if he did, but thats the first test. No meticulous maintenance records, no reason to go any further. Just too many hours to accept less.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
One thing I've learned is whether it's cars, tractors, whatever, high miles or hours extends to the entire machine. Just because the motor runs good doesn't mean you won't have to deal with everything else on the machine that wears (hoses, springs, bushings, etc etc).

Again, not saying it's a bad deal, especially if you're able to do some stuff yourself. However, you might find the cost difference between this machine and a unit with 4-5,000 hours isn't enough to make up for the potential problems you might encounter.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I have a slightly different take on this. If the tractor has 12,000 hours I'm betting the service was done. You don't get those kind of hours on a tractor without proper service. I'm also betting that folks that use a tractor like this do not keep records--they just do the service. He may be like me and keep service on a whiteboard that I just erase and put new hours/date down.

That being said, even with proper service things get old, worn and break. I would be more concerned with what REPAIRS have been done to it. Was the engine rebuilt, etc? If so, maybe the hours are not as bad as they seem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

whoops

Jul 27, 2021
Western WA state
Thanks everyone.

I like the guy, I like the tractor, but my gut keeps saying to pass on it. So I think I'll just follow my gut instinct.

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks everyone.

I like the guy, I like the tractor, but my gut keeps saying to pass on it. So I think I'll just follow my gut instinct.
gut is rarely wrong!!!;)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Check the auction results online for similar tractors . Make your offer near those prices. That way you might not lose too much should it not perform up to your expectations and you decide to get rid of it. I like to ask myself how much I can lose in most transactions.

paugambi

Equipment
M9000 Utility Special, M9000 Hydraulic Shuttle
Jul 6, 2020
Arkansas
If you go with your gut I understand.

With that being said if you DO go look at it, I would agree with an above commenter to look at things that don't HAVE to be taken care of... hoses, tires, grease zercks, etc.. I have an M9000 that I have maintained well, looks clean, but if you looked for any maintenance records, you'd be SOL. I write my hours on the filters I replace and keep track that way. Check air filter and screens for radiator whenever we have been mowing a lot or in dusty places. Been looking at buying a new one and this is where most of these tractors fail. That said, enough time and money can fix most anything you miss and honestly there is something to be said for putting work into your machine to make it work perfectly. Something I have learned in the past year... lol

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That is a lot of hours, if the beasty hasnt been takin care of. Everything above is good advice, and unless you are reallllllly good with a wrench, ya might want to walk past this one, I think I would

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
That is a lot of hours. So IF it has been meticulously maintained, everything by the book, where is the point of parts being worn out. Granted they last much longer when being maintained, but what is rebuilding of replacement costs? I don’t think I would purchase a beautiful, perfectly maintained truck with 340,000 miles on it either. To me, there’s just a point of diminishing returns, and wondering what’s next.