HST saftey switch

Herkmer

Equipment
B2320
Mar 3, 2015
LaGrange KY Oldham
Having trouble getting tractor started have to push forward and reverse pedal back and forth to engage started I can here clicking sound when I turn on the key but starter won't work is there a safety switch on the HST pedals and where is it located I have model B2320 and advice on how to fix my problem
Thanks Bob

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Is this a trick to test my memory? (I just read a thread earlier today about this problem with HST machines, even though I have a gear machine. Somehow I recall some pertinent information, so for once in a row, I guess I pass!)

Seems that dirt/debris can collect in the HST linkage and interfere with a safety switch. The 'quick fix' is to: a) turn the key to 'On'; b) rock the HST pedal back and forth; c) turn the key to 'Off', then; d) start as normal.

The "more permanent" solution was to clean out the dirt/debris that might have collected in the linkage.

Hope that helps!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Herkmer,

I had the same problem on my L-3800. Really annoying when you go to start and only get a rapid "clack-clack-clack."

On mine, the dealer explained the switch is above the floor boards, under the edge of the lower dash/cowl, operated by a linkage. The key is keeping the HST pedal bearing and linkage clean and lubed. The switches come out of the factory so tightly adjusted that, it the pedal is not exactly centered, you can't get full current to the starter.

My dealer widened the range between the switches and now I rarely have the problem.

ibunker

Equipment
B3300SU w/BK76, Box blade, DR wood chipper
Dec 5, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
Yes, it's called the Operator Presence Control (OPC) system. Had the same problem on my B3300SU. The switch is located off linkage to the HST pedal. If you have to rock the HST pedal to get it started, this switch is hanging up. You will have to look for it, it's high up facing forward and has a rubber boot around the pin of the switch. Mine is just forward of the Hydraulic filter on the right side. When the HST pedal is in neutral position the switch is depressed. Spray some lube on it and rock the HST pedal to free it up. When I'm lubing my zerks under the tractor I spray this also, never had a problem since. Hope this helps.

placervillebob

Equipment
L2800, Loader, Backhoe, Box Scraper
Apr 6, 2013
Placerville, CA
I also had a problem with the Throttle Centering Safety Switch on my L2800 HST. Problem was intermittent starting - went to two dealers with the symptoms - they offered up all kinds of suggestions. I down-loaded an exploded parts diagram from Messicks (great company to deal with). That helped locate all the safety switches for my tractor. I started cleaning everyone of them (even found two broken for the PTO, which I replaced). When it came to the switch for the Throttle Centering Safety Switch, that switch was sealed - not allowing cleaning or lubrication - and I was told no way to test it. Having cleaned or replaced the other safety switches I decided to simply replace it (about $60. if I remember correctly). It now starts first time every time. One of the dealers early on said he would bet it was the Safety Switch for the Throttle.
I was told there may be a way to disable it (or bypass it) but do not reccommend that - it is there for a reason and am happy after replacement.
Good Luck
placervillebob

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Herkmer,

I had the same problem on my L-3800. Really annoying when you go to start and only get a rapid "clack-clack-clack."

On mine, the dealer explained the switch is above the floor boards, under the edge of the lower dash/cowl, operated by a linkage. The key is keeping the HST pedal bearing and linkage clean and lubed. The switches come out of the factory so tightly adjusted that, it the pedal is not exactly centered, you can't get full current to the starter.

My dealer widened the range between the switches and now I rarely have the problem.

As a dealer, I would have every NEW machine that went out the door "fixed" so the user would not have to bring it back to fix something this simple. Rather than tell the new owner "how" to fix it, make sure that is works well and will continue to work as designed for years to come. So many times those things that are placed there to keeps us safe create more problems than they solve! Glad your dealer was nice enough to take care of it!

Last edited:

floating rate

Equipment
b3300su
Apr 18, 2015
Crysler, Ontario
I had same issue on my 1 year old b3300su. I lubed and cleaned the switch, greased the pedal with synthetic lube and the problem went away for a couple of months and started up again. What worries me most is this past cold winter the pedal was sticky and sometimes still go forward :eek:. VERY hazardous and should be addressed has a safety issue to Kubota. I have brought it to my dealers attention and I was told I wasn't the first. :mad: . Hope they resolve the issue before somebody gets hurt.