Health and Safety

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Safety is always of the utmost importance especially when working with and around equipment so maybe we need a place to not only share Safety Issues but also General Heath items that we all encounter.

I had Total Knee Replacement surgery on November 18 and six weeks later was discharged with no restriction nor limitations.

Hopefully I will follow that example with the Rotator Cuff surgery that is scheduled for tomorrow. An MRI showed that I have a bone spur that has caused a tear in a rotator cuff muscle. Dr. Sawbones will shave the bone spur and any bursitis as well as repair the rotator cuff tear.

Looks like I will be one handed for a few weeks. :mad:

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Thank you, I'll have to see how well I can type with one hand.....and wipe!!! :eek:

Especially if the surgery is on your dominate side.:D. I have had both rotator cuffs done. I went to physical therapy three days after the surgeon was done with the repair, and the first thing the therapist said to me was " This is going to hurt", and she was right. Do what they say and you should be good to go in a couple months. Although I was much younger than you are now when I had it done. I wish you a speedy recovery, and hope you are ambidextrous.;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I installed grease fittings and so far, routine greasing has eliminated any issues.... lol

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Especially if the surgery is on your dominate side.:D. I have had both rotator cuffs done. I went to physical therapy three days after the surgeon was done with the repair, and the first thing the therapist said to me was " This is going to hurt", and she was right. Do what they say and you should be good to go in a couple months. Although I was much younger than you are now when I had it done. I wish you a speedy recovery, and hope you are ambidextrous.;)
Might remember Bob Cousy who played basketball for the Boston Celtics. He became ambidextrous after he fell out of a tree and kept laying BB. He was 13 time NBA all-star.

"Had it not been for a freak accident during his sophomore year of high school, none of those accomplishments may have ever happened. Cousy fell out of a tree and broke his right hand not long after he was cut from the basketball team as a sophomore. With his right hand broken, he began to do everything left-handed – including playing basketball."

Practice what you can't do and you'll be better at what you can do!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you, I'll have to see how well I can type with one hand.....and wipe!!! :eek:
Elastic waistband pants, no zippers, buttons, or strings, they will all leave you in deep trouble!!

And trying to put on socks by yourself, it can be done, but dang it's frustrating!

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I would only suggest, as the husband to a RN who works with post OP patients, that you follow instructions from the surgeon very strictly. You would be surprised how many people go have a big surgery, get out, then go ignore all their doctors thinking they can do something that they have been told not to do, and end up destroying the work the surgeon done, or otherwise setting themselves way back due to being hard headed. Take it easy! Let your body heal properly, and trust in the rehab process before you go full bore! Best of luck to you!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thanks for the kind words, encouragement, and well wishes.

We got home a little past noon after having the rotator cuff repaired, the detached bicep reattached, and the bone spur and bursitis shaved off. The pain block has not worn off yet, but I have already taken a pain pill as instructed to stay ahead of the pain.

Here is a video of me waking up and being visited by Donna (daughter) and Marty (son). I was hoarse from the tube and could hardly talk, and still groggy and obviously didn't know anything. :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/hnV5vHH5bwg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Stay safe my brother, and like the man says LET IT HEAL.. not that I have ever tried to push my self after anything major er nuttin.. so mote it be

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The pain/nerve block wore off ~2:00 this morning so this thing is dealing me a bit of misery now. Just keep it still and take a pill every 4 hours.

I am now wrong handed and nothing turns the right way. Also, I have wizzed but I ain't wiped yet. :eek:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Take care Magic!

Glad to hear everything went well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am having a good day but I hadta catch up on my sleep this afternoon. I believe that the pain med was keeping me awake. I have no pain so I haven't taken anything other than Aleve since 10:00 last night. Removed the bandage and put Band-aids on 4 places. Gonna be boring for the next week cause the sling hasta stay and I can't do anything.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
That's great to hear you're not having any pain. Just take it easy and do what the doc says.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
36 hours without anything other than Aleve, so I believe that I am past the pain. Vertigo yesterday but Benadryl seems to have cured that. It's now just sit and wait (bored) until my Dr. appointment on the 2nd. :rolleyes:

One handed typing and wrong handed wiping. :mad:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
One handed typing and wrong handed wiping. :mad:
Hey, after a little while you'll be ambidextrous!

Before I developed a problem in my right shoulder, I always put shirts on my left arm first. When it started hurting like hell to reach back with my right arm to put it in the sleeve, I started doing it the other way around. Same thing with threading a belt on pants.

We're humans, we adapt to changes.

Good to here you're doing well.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
It is often said that shoulder surgery is worse than a knee replacement, and knee's give a lot of people issues. Your body will heal, it will just take good amount of time. Keep your head up. My wife tells me she has patients sometimes get discouraged from the pain and limitations, and start to feel like they made a mistake having surgery, but given enough time they come around, as the healing process begins to slowly melt away the pain and limitations. Just have to be patient with the body and keep your head up. Dont get discouraged. Find something to engage your mind and just relax. I would recommend audio books.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
No hesitation nor discouragement here. I may joke, but I told this ole body that if it was going with me, it had better suck it up, wipe it off, and lets go. :D

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
Alpha-gal Allergy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy

A friend was recently diagnosed with this red meat allergy which is transmitted by the "Star Back Tick".

One of my daughters also has alpha-gal as it's commonly known. She was bit by a Lone Star tick while at work. The tick is endemic to the southern US but its range has expanded northward during the last decade. The reaction to eating even a tiny amount of mammalian products can be fatal. There is no cure and unlike Lyme disease the causative agent has never been identified.