Hard starting and steering

sweetwater

Equipment
L2900
Nov 19, 2011
Idaho
I turn the key on without starting and the glow plug light comes on once in a while and starts fine. When the light doesn't come on it starts hard but eventually starts. I think the relay may be the problem but can't reach it without taking the dash housing off. Also hard steering and slow hydraulic operation since the weather has gotten colder. I am thinking I need to change the hydraulic filter and check the fluid level. Any body have any suggestions?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Diesels are a warm natured enging and hate being cold and dont usually run worth a damn at first in the cold. Might want to look into ways of keeping your tractor as snug as a bug in a rug. A magnetic block heater will do the trick and stick it on the bottom of the oil pan to keep it toasty warm. Also having a good strong battery of 900 to 1000 cold craking amps helps turn her over in the winter months. Sounds to me like your just batteling an issue of the tractor is cold out there in Idaho and she needs to be running hot before she runs right. Check with a fella on here Kubota Man, he lives in your neck of the woods and see what kinda tips be does to keep his tractor warm.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
First let me say welcome to the neighborhood. Also what part of the Great State of Idaho are you from?

When I ordered mine I had a block heater installed right away. Even brfore I used my BX24 to build her own house aka shop she spent the first winter outside :( All I did was cover her with a tarp and plugged her in. The block heater was enough to keep the snow off the tarp in the area of the engine. I still used the glow plugs and was never let down as far as starting. I also would let it warm up for a few minutes to allow the hydro fluid warm up and flow without any added preasure. Hope this helps :)