Growing vegetables indoors

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I don't remember which is which, but learned several years ago that each of the 3 elements of fertilizer helps the plant in a certain aspect of it's growth; ie, nitrogen for root growth, phosphorus makes it green and bushy, potassium helps the flowers and fruit grow...
I don't remember which element goes with which aspect of the plant, but I know one of them was to help with flower/fruit development.

Also, I would recommend putting lights on a timer and whatnot. Found out that happy plants don't necessarily make good fruits. You know what a hydroponically grown jalepeno tastes like? It tastes like a cucumber. It wasn't even as spicy as a bell pepper. There was NO heat to them.

Back in the day as an engineer at a pretty cool place, our office plants got a little out of hand and we ended up with office farms... Jalepenos worked the best, but we tried melons and tomatoes and lettuces and... The jalepenos worked the best, but they were pretty small and took a long time to grow fruit.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Go to YOUTUBE and look up hemp farming indoors,, theres tons of information from lighting to fertilizer to hydroponic set up and aquaponic set ups all in doors.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
The three numbers you see on the label of every bagged or bottled fertilizer represent the product’s N-P-K ratio. The N in the ratio stands for nitrogen, the P stands for phosphorous, and the K stands for potassium.
Yeah, the stuff I'm currently using is 18-18-21. Not completely convinced the NPK is what's lacking (trying to figure out what trace nutrients might be deficient), but I'll take a look at changing up the feeding schedule - for some reason that simply didn't occur to me.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I don't remember which is which, but learned several years ago that each of the 3 elements of fertilizer helps the plant in a certain aspect of it's growth; ie, nitrogen for root growth, phosphorus makes it green and bushy, potassium helps the flowers and fruit grow...
I don't remember which element goes with which aspect of the plant, but I know one of them was to help with flower/fruit development.
Pretty sure you're right about the potassium. Nitrogen is best for leaf & vegetation.

Also, I would recommend putting lights on a timer and whatnot. Found out that happy plants don't necessarily make good fruits. You know what a hydroponically grown jalepeno tastes like? It tastes like a cucumber. It wasn't even as spicy as a bell pepper. There was NO heat to them.
Yep, lights are on a timer.

Interesting observation there, good thing I'm not growing hot peppers! Funny thing about those - I've found that they seem to reflect the heat they grew in, hotter days = hotter peppers. I only grow those outside during regular season (although it's time to start my superhots inside in preparation for this spring planting)

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Peppers need adversity to get hot. The capsaicin is a defense mechanism. I think they like to get watered a lot, then have periods of hot dry weather.

I wonder if there's some sort of adversity that may help the other plants also.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Peppers need adversity to get hot. The capsaicin is a defense mechanism. I think they like to get watered a lot, then have periods of hot dry weather.

I wonder if there's some sort of adversity that may help the other plants also.
I have been growing hot peppers (500,000+ scovilles) indoors for years now. The only challenge I have found (after dialing in the lighting and nutrients) is pollinating all the buds with the right pollen.

I find the beauty of the indoor garden is the consistency I can achieve as well as being able to do it year-round.

bmblank

Equipment
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I suppose I should have prefaced my posts with "I have read."
I'm no farmer/gardener. I use my tractor more for the dead vegetation (firewood).
I have kept a snake plant alive thru at least 3 different job changes, though...
Just trying to forward my second-hand knowledge.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I have been growing hot peppers (500,000+ scovilles) indoors for years now. The only challenge I have found (after dialing in the lighting and nutrients) is pollinating all the buds with the right pollen.
I might try some hot peppers eventually, but I still have many pounds left over from a couple years ago. Fresh poblanos for rellenos would be pretty good though.

Seems I'm about where you mention - dialing in the lighting and nutrients.

A couple more zucchinis showing up last couple days, now about 3" each, the first one seems to be getting bigger, but slowly. I keep going back to the nutrients - this spurt was right after a feeding, so that seems VERY likely a key issue now.

Cucumber is producing a LOT of little ones, none of them growing. I'm trying to snip off the buds to limit the quantity, hopefully the plant's resources will try growing those that remain. We'll see how it turns out.

Peppers are starting to look promising - lots of buds, some starting to develop. Looking like they do when outside.

Tomatoes - still waiting. They're picky I guess.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK hydroponic guys, The more I read this and read on line I think I wasnt to try doing a small system... I was thining a Dutch bucket, but I need to know the nutrients for the water. Seems like everything on line is an arm and leg, So what local off the shelf stuff is anybody using like MG or something like that something off the shelf

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Learn from my pain, Skeets :)

Ok things seem to be changing pretty rapidly. I made three changes: raised the temp just a bit, put back on the bluer "vegetative" lights, and increased the feeding (even though it's only been a few days)

I changed the lights because the red are "bloom" and that's certainly what they were doing, blooming all over, but not growing!

As mentioned, I also trimmed some of the fruit so that there were less total growing.

Just since yesterday I see a difference. Some of the cucumbers are now 1-1/2" to 2" long, and the newest zucchini has put on 2-3 inches overnight!

20210120_120137.jpg

20210120_120154.jpg

Oddly, that first zucchini still hasn't grown, but the new ones are, so I'll take it.

Given that it's already almost the end of January, I guess I'll have to start these a lot earlier next year.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
OK hydroponic guys, The more I read this and read on line I think I wasnt to try doing a small system... I was thining a Dutch bucket, but I need to know the nutrients for the water. Seems like everything on line is an arm and leg, So what local off the shelf stuff is anybody using like MG or something like that something off the shelf
Here is the easiest way to start and it always works.

Youtube the Kratky method. A Dr. Kratky pioneered it.

You can get the nets from small to 5gal bucket size etc. from amazon.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Figured I would update after all the input, and the promising results I posted last.

Harvested the first zucchini yesterday, it was delicious for dinner!

Cucumbers are almost ready
20210131_140401a.jpg

Peppers are starting to set, and finally seeing flowers on the tomato plant.

I think approaching it more like hydroponics, due to the small area, seems to have worked best. Thanks again for the advice and input everyone!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
random,, what are you using for your nutrient solution, I am thinking about a Dutch bucket set up small on and a few buckets using the Kratky system just for shyts and giggles. Only me so I dont need a lot any more

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I'm just using miracle-gro right now. Seems to be doing ok. I'll do more research before repeating this next year though.

JessicaMathis

Equipment
Kubota
Aug 3, 2021
Canada
Here is the easiest way to start and it always works.

Youtube the Kratky method. A Dr. Kratky pioneered it.

You can get the nets from small to 5gal bucket size etc. from amazon.

HighTHC Shop
I don't remember exactly which one, but I learned a few years ago that each of the three elements of fertilizer helps a plant in a particular aspect of its growth; that is, nitrogen for root growth, phosphorus makes it green and thick, potassium helps flowers and fruits grow... And you can buy it at stores like. I can't remember which element fits which aspect of the plant, but I know one of them was supposed to help with the flower. It wasn't even as spicy as bell peppers. They didn't have heat in them.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
that's a mighty SMALL pot for a Zuccini ! Since the plant appears healthy ,I'd say you're 'starving' it. Increase the amount fo food you're feeding it. While 100% potting soil is good for starting seeds, I've always used a mix of PS and real, composty garden soil. PS doesn't have any nutrients in it, won't retain them, unlke real dirt..er, soil.
For growing annual flowers in pots (outside), I have good success with the miracle grow potting soil with slow release fertilizer. I replace the top half of the potting soil each spring.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
For next year try planting each plant in their own soil bag. As in at least a 20 pounder. I wonder if you’ve got bound roots in the smaller containers? Hard to tell with the pics focused on the fruit. Just a thought!