Getting a B2601 (finally)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
So, I've been talking about this for a while on and off. And finally pulling the trigger. Upgrading the BX2350 to a B2601.

Took the day off work Wednesday, visited every Kubota dealer between Auckland and home (3 hour drive, 3 dealers).

The dealer in Pukekohe I'd visited before. They've been very clear in the past that they do a constant low price, so not much point in waiting for deals (in NZ there's an annual autumn special associated with the big farming trade show). Had one on the lot that was in beautiful condition - newly set up and everything shiny and well put together, plus a bunch of safety and information stickers that were all nicely lined up and tidy. He thought I should buy from a branch closer to home, but gave me a hint to pricing. Very knowledgeable and clear.

Second dealer on the way home, another branch of the first, was a new guy - been in the business for 1 month, came across from John Deere. Nice guy, but really only knew about a BX, thought that the B2601 had the same engine (no), same mower deck (no), had options for drive over or not drive over (no). Gave me same story about keeping their prices low, not much margin. Promised a price for me. Not a lot of machines on the lot, those that were didn't look as tidy, looked to have lower turnover.

Third dealer is the one I've dealt with before close to home. Same guy, had a B2601 on the lot. Wasn't tidy, quite dirty and dusty. I said I'd be keen to have a new one, not one that'd been on the lot for a while. He pointed to a different model across the lot and said "that one's new out of the crate 2 weeks ago, similar condition, they just get dirty quickly". Which says to me they can't be bothered cleaning them. When I pointed out the rust spots he was pretty quiet, said he could get a new one in. Promised me a price.

Prices came in, both about $2K higher than I expected (and $4K higher than I was quoted a couple years ago....but exchange rates change). Thought long and hard....actually, only one dealer impressed me. It's a long term purchase for me, I want a machine that's been put together right, and if I'm paying for new I want new. The guy closest to me has done work on my existing BX, and it was disappointing. The middle guy just didn't seem any better.

Called back the first guy, asked him whether there was a rule that said he couldn't sell to me. He said no, he could, the main issue is if he sells it he needs to support me and service it, and 3 hours is a long way away. Honest and clear. Told him I service my machines myself, and happy to come pick it up. He said no, if he sells me a machine he'll bring it to me himself and make sure I'm happy. Did a deal on price, they have a new one in stock, probably he'll deliver next week.

Christmas coming early this year in my part of the world!! B2601, standard bucket on the FEL (hard to get the light materials bucket down here), standard 60" deck. Can't get SSQA in NZ, not popular apparently. We also still get the old pioneer couplers, no single lever manifold available nor likely to come here - apparently adds $600-800 to the wholesale cost of the machine, and people don't want to pay it. I'll do the old school Kubota proprietary quick attach, or more likely get a local engineer to weld up something similar. I really only will have the pin-on bucket and my existing 3ph forks modified to go on the FEL as well.

Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Paul im really excited for you!!! I am a little bummed we will no longer be BX2350 comrades but am eager to follow your experience.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Paul im really excited for you!!! I am a little bummed we will no longer be BX2350 comrades but am eager to follow your experience.
Well, the financial controller believes I'm selling the BX. But there's no hurry....

Reactions: 1 users

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Good on ya. They’re Pretty good machines, I’ve got 300 hrs on one and had it a couple years. A few things I don’t like, but it does everything I asked it. I’ve started using my six foot bush hog with it lately cuz my ford has a steering issue. It doesn’t seem to mind it, but I’m careful on hills. I’ve always found small Kubotas are overachievers.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Lucky you!!! Good on ya Im still waiting on a 2601

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Had one for 3 yrs and absolutely love it. In the process of cleaning up rocks from farming the field and am amazed at the size rocks it will handle.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Had my B2601 for less than 2 weeks and already have over 20 hours on it. Maintaining about 4 to 5 acres of pasture and will use to maintain trails through another 17 acres of so. LOVE IT!!!!!!! The smaller size is already turning out to be a blessing for trail work and the RCR1548 medium duty bush hog will cut some serious junk! GREAT little tractor with more umphhhh than its size would indicate! Got the 3rd function but REALLY need to order a grapple as my pallet forks were able to move some brush piles just not very efficiently. Kudos to the B2601.

Reactions: 1 user

sn0wman72

Nov 16, 2019
Plain, WA
You have invested a ton of hours in this decision. I used some of your posts and data comparisons to decide on a B2601 over the BX series about a year ago.

The B2601 is just what we need and I am certain that a BX would not have worked out

Enjoy the new B2601!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thanks @sn0wman72. Unfortunately the dealer is not currently progressing this very fast. So I had hoped to have some pictures of a tractor in my driveway by now, but I suspect (hope) it'll be arriving sometime next week.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I feel your pain Paul I too am looking at ordering, and the dealer said 10 weeks,,, maybe ,, I guess all good things come to those that wait,,, but hell I aint got that much time left,,,lol

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Yeah, spring here. Hadn't thought about that, but probably could impact. When I talked to him he said they were a bit down on volume - COVID. Interestingly dealers in more rural NZ didn't say that - they're still busy. I'd guess it's the difference between needing a tractor (rural) and wanting a tractor (Auckland). I take that to mean that people in Auckland have delayed purchases a bit more than those in rural NZ.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Minor update. My preferred dealer hasn't yet succeeded in delivering to me. He believed he had one in stock with the MMM and FEL. He sold that one to someone else because I wanted turfs, and he had another one with turfs already on it. But then he had no MMM (I suspect he sold the MMM with the one he originally promised me, but he says their stock control system was wrong). Bottom line, waiting for mower to come in, which will be early November. Annoying but not the end of the world. He offered to bring me the tractor without MMM, and then come and get it again, take it back to shop, add mower, bring it back. It's 3 hours each way, so that'd be 18 hours of driving for him, I said that'd be ridiculous, I'll just wait.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Paul it seems these "little delays" are rather common when purchasing a new tractor. You made a well thought out choice, I'm looking forward to your initial impression in a few weeks.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It's been a long time coming, but it's here. :) It's much bigger when it's home than it was in the shop, I'm still getting used to that. But I mowed yesterday, which went well. And sprayed this morning, which also went well.

It runs quieter, and much faster at low revs (that high ratio matters). It's a lot taller in the seat, my head hits branches it didn't used to.

It's surprising just how much larger the 3ph is. It lifts a lot more, but it's also much longer arms, so it must have a lot more hydraulic power. Definitely more range of motion.

Overall very happy. When I get time I'm going to make a youtube that compares them, before I sell the BX. Most of the videos I see really don't put the tractors side-by-side, so it's hard to see just how different they are.

IMG_7023.JPG
IMG_7034.JPG
IMG_7007.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Nice lawn mower! JK

The sh** eating grin is priceless. Really beautiful area there also. I would be grinning too.

Would be interested to see difference in sizes. These tractors are so many sizes it's hard to tell how big or small they are.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Made much use of it today. Spraying for flat weeds:
62639615509__2CF7E5D7-0021-47BD-B47A-C035FBA3EF99.jpeg

Then mowed the roadside and the local community field. I was worried the B would be a lot less stable than the BX, but the steepest side slope I mow was still stable. It may be that the BX is more stable, but the B is stable enough for what I feel comfortable with:
62639837946__CC45C995-91E3-4A32-925E-F1EA28C7BCC8.jpeg

The local field mowed well. I can mow a lot faster. It beats you up a lot if you mow full speed in H, but if the grass is sparse it still mows it adequately. It goes nearly twice the speed the BX did, plus 60" deck instead of 54". Quite a lot of improvement.

The HST pedal is a lot more stiff than the BX. I'll get more muscles in my calf I guess. And it's taller. First scratch, drove the ROPS into the pylon whilst using the wheel brakes to pull in close around the concrete pads the legs are on.
62640320809__FA6AC801-17C3-4E51-BEB9-DEE84677C262.jpeg
IMG_7593.jpeg

This afternoon will be chipper on the PTO, then maybe time to make some comparative photos for those that are looking for them.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
It's been a long time coming, but it's here. :) It's much bigger when it's home than it was in the shop, I'm still getting used to that. But I mowed yesterday, which went well. And sprayed this morning, which also went well.

It runs quieter, and much faster at low revs (that high ratio matters). It's a lot taller in the seat, my head hits branches it didn't used to.

It's surprising just how much larger the 3ph is. It lifts a lot more, but it's also much longer arms, so it must have a lot more hydraulic power. Definitely more range of motion.

Overall very happy. When I get time I'm going to make a youtube that compares them, before I sell the BX. Most of the videos I see really don't put the tractors side-by-side, so it's hard to see just how different they are.

View attachment 50224 View attachment 50226 View attachment 50227
This may be a dumb question, but what is up with that brush guard? It looks like its in the position that allows you to open the hood but shouldn’t it be pushed back towards the hood? Looks like it gets really close to the cross bar on the loader.
Nice tractor btw 👍

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
the B2601 is actually an inch shorter than the BX and only 4 ½" wider. On paper, it seems very modest but it sure looks big :) congrats Paul!!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
This may be a dumb question, but what is up with that brush guard? It looks like its in the position that allows you to open the hood but shouldn’t it be pushed back towards the hood? Looks like it gets really close to the cross bar on the loader.
Nice tractor btw 👍
They set them that way so you can open the hood. It doesn't move so far as I can tell - it's always sticking out like that, and the hood opens inside it. I'll take a closer look though just in case, but I've seen no indication anywhere it moves - if it move surely it wouldn't be able to do it's job?