garden hose reel (with wheels)

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I've owned a few of these and absolutely hated them all. The problem is, manhandling the hoses are even worse. A relative recently showed me this super premium one, and it he loves it. But I'm not sure I am ready to part with $300 plus tax for a hose reel. Any one own one of these who thinks its the bees knees?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Best hose I've ever owned and actually own 3 of them for 5 or 6 years now. Nobody should treat them the way I have, outside all winter and never crack, and couldn't count the amount of times I've driven over them with the truck and tractor. Forgot to mention, they never get tangled.

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
If you need more than 50 feet of hose, wouldn't it be better to install additional hose bibs and or freeze proof yard hydrants? Or if the water is being used for landscaping then install irrigation as necessary.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I've owned a few of these and absolutely hated them all. The problem is, manhandling the hoses are even worse. A relative recently showed me this super premium one, and it he loves it. But I'm not sure I am ready to part with $300 plus tax for a hose reel. Any one own one of these who thinks its the bees knees?
I have family members who own 2 of them for taking hose up to their garden during the summer and back down to the building so the hose doesn't freeze in the winter. They like them a lot, the wheels are air filled and are large enough that they don't get hung up on rocks and crap like the cheap casters or plastic wheels do.

They are fairly heavy without hose on them and are a pain to assemble but they are well made and appear, to me at least, that they will last a very long time.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Don't remember the brand on the ones I got, but got 'em at Home Depot. They were pricey, but after buying three of the plastic ones that all broke in different manners, I got a steel one with 4 tires. My primary complaint is the tires don't last and they go flat, but I got it to sit still and hold my hose, didn't I? Flat tires hold it where I put it well. If I wasn't so lazy or stingy, I'd have replaced them with solid wheels/tires by now. They're good reels, albeit, could be improved with a guide. Unlike the one pictured, there's no way to pull the hose off the end of the reel, meaning kinks and twists. We have extremely high water pressure (before the regulator) that will explode a commercial grade hose, so the heavy hoses dictate we use a reel. The first plastic drum reel that I used was CRUSHED by the hose when it expanded. Turned the water on, heard a loud pop as I was walking away, and looked back to find my hose in a big knot that resembled a hair ball. No more plastic reels. The ones I got don't tip over so easy either. My only complaints is 1, the tires as mentioned, and 2) there's nothing to lock the reel in place. So as you use the hose, the flow changes make the drum rotate and loosen several wraps of the hose which requires some intervention when rolling the hose back up. I normally use most of the length of the hose anyway. That's why I bought the length I did. A reel makes it a LOT easier to drain a hose for winter too. Just disconnect the supply, fully extend the hose down a grade if possible, then roll it back up. Bingo, ready for storage. Mine stay outside because of lack of storage space and because we have very mild winters. I don't think I've had more than one freeze damaged hose or reel (a plastic one) in my entire homeowner life.

Take it apart every couple years, clean the barbs and sockets, replace and lube the O-rings, you're good as gold.

This one is simiar, but mine doesn't have the cute basket on it.

Winado Iron 4-Wheel Hose Reel Truck-901991880506 - The Home Depot

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Any one own one of these who thinks its the bees knees?
I have one that holds maybe 75 feet of hose. It's been hanging off the South side of my house for 15+ years, still works like new. And yes, it's well worth the price (tho I didn't pay anywhere near 3 bills for it). I have two cheapos, one on the West side and one on the North side and while they work okay, it's like comparing a Yugo to a BMW.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
20 years ago, I had one very similar to the one Old Paint has.

I did have it about 6-8 years, but my luck wasn't so good. The packing of the center started leaking and I could not get it to stop. Was always brought in the winter...never froze.

Tore it all apart and replaced o-rings, etc. and no luck.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I got a hose reel of some sort years ago, and it was broken and useless in no time.

Rather than move the hose around on a cart, my suggestion would be to invest in extra hoses and leave coiled near the hydrants. If you coil in a figure 8 pattern beginning close to the hydrant, you can grab the free end and pull out as much as needed, no kinks. Keeps hose from cracking from kinks, looks tidy, and saves time.

If you have to coil to store for the winter, spread hose out downhill to drain, and starting at uphill end, form circle loops on the ground, pulling the hose up from downhill direction as you go. Tie the coil with baling twine and hang for the winter. In the spring, if you uncoil pretending you are a hose reel, unrolling as you walk, it keeps twists and kinks out of hose. Saves much aggravation in the long run to keep ordinary hoses kink free.

Reactions: 1 users

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
Thanks sheepfarmer, never tried a figure 8 pattern, I'm very interested to try it and see how it works!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I purchased 2 Eley hose reals, and they come with a 6 1/2' connector hose. This year, the hose developed a leak, and the hose real also developed a leak. They sent replacement parts immediately after I sent them the pictures. I also didn't pay $300 each, but if I had a use for an additional hose reel, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
I'm just surprised nobody on here has built one for there 3pt hitch with a reel and a pto shaft to wind up hose at an idle. 300 feet reel fast with quick hitch.... hmm patented pending lmao

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I'm just surprised nobody on here has built one for there 3pt hitch with a reel and a pto shaft to wind up hose at an idle. 300 feet reel fast with quick hitch.... hmm patented pending lmao
Be sure to install a gearbox on it so it only reels at 15 rpm. The added torque will make sure the hose doesn't get hung up on anything on the way back too. :)

Rmay6850

Equipment
BX2680, RTV X900
Apr 29, 2021
Virginia
I have one of the 4 wheel ones and am extremely happy with the quality, fit, and finish.

will probably get another 2 wheel for the othe side of the house. I got the 125’ hose with connectors and very solid connections.