G1800S with 4300 hours - good idea?

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
I’m looking at a 2000 year G1800s with 4300 hours on it, apparently with a good power train and running well. It’s listed for $1250. Is 4300 hours on it too much? I need it for mowing around my house as I’ve determined my B2301 is too much tractor for that. But I’d love this interesting little diesel lawn tractor.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd be more worried about the transmissions that the engine.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I would have thought a B2301 would mow fine. But $1,250 is probably cheaper than the mower deck on the B. I agree the HST is the expensive and hard to fix bit. But for $1,250, how wrong can you go?

Reactions: 1 user

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Thats alot of hours.. Kubota says injection pump should be rebuilt at 3k.. but I've seen onan generators with d905s with over 10k hours on the original injection pump going strong.

whats really important is the maintenance, and when you look at it will say alot.. check for play in the mower deck spindles and pullys, if the rear axle has any play.. stuff like that..

does that one have 4 wheel steering? More expensive parts.. i almost bought one instead of my b7100

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
I have a G1900 it is a helluva lawn tractor but a few things to look at and the big one is the u joint on the transmission end of the driveshaft. Not real had to replace but engine removal is the easiest way. Check electrical system cranking a gauges they are known to be sketchy. If maintenance has been done and shape is decent the price is not bad. Good news most parts you can still get from Kubota bad news is they are generally expensive.
post some pics and search on these forums for the G1800 and 1900 not much difference cept the engine

22R

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
I would have thought a B2301 would mow fine. But $1,250 is probably cheaper than the mower deck on the B. I agree the HST is the expensive and hard to fix bit. But for $1,250, how wrong can you go?
I wanted to use the B2301 but my lawn area is too small and tight in the end I think. I go back and forth on it hourly!

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
It
Thats alot of hours.. Kubota says injection pump should be rebuilt at 3k.. but I've seen onan generators with d905s with over 10k hours on the original injection pump going strong.

whats really important is the maintenance, and when you look at it will say alot.. check for play in the mower deck spindles and pullys, if the rear axle has any play.. stuff like that..

does that one have 4 wheel steering? More expensive parts.. i almost bought one instead of my b7100
Thanks for the tip. It’s. 4 wheel steering model. I’ll be on the lookout for these things if I check it out.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I wanted to use the B2301 but my lawn area is too small and tight in the end I think. I go back and forth on it hourly!
Hmm. The B2301 has wheel brakes. It turns pretty much the same as a BX, which is enough for most things. Any chance of borrowing a deck and trying it out? Then you'll know for free whether it works for you or not. I'm a big fan of having one machine where you can - only one motor to maintain. And driving a relatively new B2301 will be way more pleasurable than a nearly dead G1800.

Reactions: 1 user

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
Hmm. The B2301 has wheel brakes. It turns pretty much the same as a BX, which is enough for most things. Any chance of borrowing a deck and trying it out? Then you'll know for free whether it works for you or not. I'm a big fan of having one machine where you can - only one motor to maintain. And driving a relatively new B2301 will be way more pleasurable than a nearly dead G1800.
I was really close to getting a RFM for the 2301. Still might. I love the idea of only one machine to maintain.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
RFM and MMM are quite different to use. Horses for courses - Messicks did a video on it.

An RFM can be pushed back under things. They usually rear discharge, so they spread your clippings evenly. Often they're stronger/larger. If some of the people who mow in your household aren't good at machinery, they can be hard to get into tight areas - the way they move when you turn can be counter-intuitive.

A MMM can be easier to use, you look down and it's right there, you don't accidentally swing it into things. They're usually lighter weight, and they usually side discharge. If you mow frequently I personally think side discharge is better.

How large is the area you're mowing? An RFM would be overkill on less than about an acre I'd think.

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
I
RFM and MMM are quite different to use. Horses for courses - Messicks did a video on it.

An RFM can be pushed back under things. They usually rear discharge, so they spread your clippings evenly. Often they're stronger/larger. If some of the people who mow in your household aren't good at machinery, they can be hard to get into tight areas - the way they move when you turn can be counter-intuitive.

A MMM can be easier to use, you look down and it's right there, you don't accidentally swing it into things. They're usually lighter weight, and they usually side discharge. If you mow frequently I personally think side discharge is better.

How large is the area you're mowing? An RFM would be overkill on less than about an acre I'd think.
Im definitely under an acre of turf to mow. Maybe I’ll see if I can find a used MMM for this thing? Or a cheap Deere on FB Marketplace?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
MMMs are around. I'd look for a way to try before you buy - ask your dealer whether they have one to lend you.

If you're looking for a cheap dedicated mower, the G1800 is as good as any - at least it's a solid diesel motor.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I found my 60” MMM for $1600 in less than a month after getting my B2601.

Just make sure you get all the mounting brackets on the tractor itself. Use the exploded parts diagram as a guide.