Fuel filers

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK maybe this is a really dumb question, but it has given me pause to wonder about it. I stopped by the local AutoZone to pick up an inline filter for the BX. I told the kid what I needed, e grabbed on from the back and said hey is this for gas or diesel? I responded with a HUH? Well says he, this is for gas you cant use it for diesel, I will have to order one for diesel. So maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years, I figure an in line filter is a filter weather its gas or diesel going through it. Is there something to what he was saying?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe the filter media will clog up with cold diesel?

I installed the "wrong" fuel filter in the tank of a '95 Chev with 6.5 diesel. It would run about 2 miles and die. Let it set for half hour and go another two miles. I finally removed the filter media on the suction line in the tank and installed a filter just outside the and then a lift pump. I'm sure the inline filter was not specifically for diesel and it's been working for a few winters with no problems.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Not sure if this is accurate or not, but a quick search shows the concern may be related to the plastic or the glue of the filter when used with diesel as opposed to the media. However, the same search revealed that a finer filter media is required for common rail diesel engines. Again, just what I found from a quick search.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
After having a 'fun' day replacing those 2 filters under the BX23S, I ordered and picked up the Kubota filter/valve unit to replace the 1st filter( at the tank) and mount onto the left frame rail by the loader. It'll be done when I burn through the 20L of fresh fuel I just put in. I should have lots of time to weld two pices of steel together to make the mount for it. Also need to get 10' of 5/16 fuel line but with 'lockdown' that ain't too easy.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After having a 'fun' day replacing those 2 filters under the BX23S, I ordered and picked up the Kubota filter/valve unit to replace the 1st filter( at the tank) and mount onto the left frame rail by the loader. It'll be done when I burn through the 20L of fresh fuel I just put in. I should have lots of time to weld two pices of steel together to make the mount for it. Also need to get 10' of 5/16 fuel line but with 'lockdown' that ain't too easy.
Jay.....

IF'n you are an Amazon person....... this is where I got mine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VO5YP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I gave up on Amazon. Idiots look at my ISP location and 99.99999% of the stuff is 'unavailable'. Guess it never occoured to them I could be out of the '48' and want something ???

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I gave up on Amazon. Idiots look at my ISP location and 99.99999% of the stuff is 'unavailable'. Guess it never occoured to them I could be out of the '48' and want something ???
Try using a VPN. It can give an ip address that is a different location than where you really are. With a good VPN, you can even look like you are in a different country. I use the Mozilla VPN and it is very good.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Ive used IPVanish in the past and was happy with thier service.

Tigercub

Equipment
bx23s
Dec 6, 2020
Ontario
I am in Haliburton , 3 hrs north of Toronto and Amazon.ca delivers EVERYthing np. In fact, I just received some 2 inch wheel spacers fpr my BX23s from a China supplier (1/3rd the price) of Broteck;s offering in 2 weeks time ....To my door....Put them on this morning, and very happy! BTW, I like to support Canadian companies, or US suppliers, BUT, unfortunately, 3 times the price is just too much to swallow. So....open a Canadian Amazon account.....

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Amazon.ca is generally better than amazon.com for Canadians. But there is a lot of stuff listed even on the Canadian site that is "currently unavailable".

Elsewhere, a lot of asian vendors won't ship to Canada anymore. I suspect it is due to the customs and shipping delays leading people to claim refunds. And I suspect that is causing much of the "currently unavailable" results on Amazon -- a lot of the vendors aren't really in Canada.

I've had reasonable luck with items listed as "fulfilled by Amazon". Those items are actually in Canada and ship fairly promptly, even over Christmas.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigercub

Equipment
bx23s
Dec 6, 2020
Ontario
Amazon.ca is generally better than amazon.com for Canadians. But there is a lot of stuff listed even on the Canadian site that is "currently unavailable".

Elsewhere, a lot of asian vendors won't ship to Canada anymore. I suspect it is due to the customs and shipping delays leading people to claim refunds. And I suspect that is causing much of the "currently unavailable" results on Amazon -- a lot of the vendors aren't really in Canada.

I've had reasonable luck with items listed as "fulfilled by Amazon". Those items are actually in Canada and ship fairly promptly, even over Christmas.
Agree. Selection on Amazon.ca is not quite as good as .com, but I appreciate the service and have been very lucky with delivery of goods... here in Hali the supply of anything other than staples like bread and milk is abysmal

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have a question for you Canadians. I live in Washington State. I have a sister in law living in Surrey, BC. If I want to order a present for her on Amazon and have it shipped directly to her, how does that work? The last time I tried to send a birthday present to her from Amazon.com, I could not get the Canadian address to work. It is not a complicated address, mail to her and from her always goes through with no problems. But for some reason I could not get her home address to take on Amazon. com. Is this a customs thing or what. I would appreciate an answer from anyone that may know why.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have looked at items listed on eBay located in Canada and was always surprised by the cost of shipping. Very expensive. I guess that's why the US Postal service is broke and the Canadians are not.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Some things can be ordered from amazon.com, but other vendors won't ship to Canada.
I have a question for you Canadians. I live in Washington State. I have a sister in law living in Surrey, BC. If I want to order a present for her on Amazon and have it shipped directly to her, how does that work? The last time I tried to send a birthday present to her from Amazon.com, I could not get the Canadian address to work. It is not a complicated address, mail to her and from her always goes through with no problems. But for some reason I could not get her home address to take on Amazon. com. Is this a customs thing or what. I would appreciate an answer from anyone that may know why.
My guess would be that the vendor was one that doesn't ship to Canada. However, it is also possible that the vendor just won't ship to an unverified address.

Before the border was closed, I would often have non-urgent US purchases sent to a buddy in the US, as shipping is far cheaper (as JimmyJazz pointed out). I had to have his address added as an alternate shipping address on my credit card.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Frankly I don't get Amazon at all.... Last year I wanted to order some front tires for my BX23S, mfr in Ohio,sells through Amazon.com. I can't get them. CALLED the mfr, 1,000+ IN STOCK,email AMAZON and the 'online associate' was useless, I then figured out the ISP BS.
Meanwhile I can order from Microchip( HUGE USA mfr of 'chips) and they UPS them from Thailand to me,for free, here in Canada,eh in 3-5 days ! I've got a valid USA address in MI ,but STILL can't get Amazon.com to SHIP there. Who CARES what my BILLING address is ?
I used to buy 1,000$ /month of parts from Digikey in MN. Order by 8PM my time, courier shows up by noon next day, $8 for shipping/boarder/delivery. They love my Cdn address......

Also this idiotic 'won't sell to Canadians, won't ship to Canadians' also applies to that 'collector plate company'. I wanted to buy 100 pcs of a tractor edition(serious $$$) but no....didn't like my AMERICAN money buying product in the USA going to and American address !
So much for NAFTA.....v1 and v2 !!

as for shipping 'cost', often is an easy way for vendors to make LOTS of money. TRUE shipping might be $5,they charge $40..hmm an extra $35 PROFIT...... Also heard that Epay requires vendors to have 12 items for sale,so they'll put HUGE prices on 2-3 things to keep the magical 12 item minimum for sale in their 'store'.
USPS will mail to Canada,if small $ items , goes through customs no problem. If it needs to be 'brokered' ANYONE can do that themselves for zero $$.

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Some things can be ordered from amazon.com, but other vendors won't ship to Canada.

My guess would be that the vendor was one that doesn't ship to Canada. However, it is also possible that the vendor just won't ship to an unverified address.

Before the border was closed, I would often have non-urgent US purchases sent to a buddy in the US, as shipping is far cheaper (as JimmyJazz pointed out). I had to have his address added as an alternate shipping address on my credit card.
I never tried to ship anything to Canada before they closed the border. My wife and I visited her sister once or twice a month. Bringing presents across the border in either direction was never a problem. But I was surprised that it became so difficult to ship something as simple as a birthday present now. As for how much it cost to ship, I did not even get far enough in the process to find that out.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Frankly I don't get Amazon at all.... Last year I wanted to order some front tires for my BX23S, mfr in Ohio,sells through Amazon.com. I can't get them. CALLED the mfr, 1,000+ IN STOCK,email AMAZON and the 'online associate' was useless, I then figured out the ISP BS.
Meanwhile I can order from Microchip( HUGE USA mfr of 'chips) and they UPS them from Thailand to me,for free, here in Canada,eh in 3-5 days ! I've got a valid USA address in MI ,but STILL can't get Amazon.com to SHIP there. Who CARES what my BILLING address is ?
Also this idiotic won't sell to Canadians, won't ship to Canadians also applies to that 'collector plate company'. I wanted to buy 100 pcs of a tractor edition(serious $$$) but no....didn't like my AMERICAN money buying product in the USA going to and American address !

So much for NAFTA.....v1 and v2 !!
You might try buying Amazon gift cards and use them to pay instead of using a credit card. That, along with a VPN, and you should be able to get whatever you want shipped to the US address at least.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have looked at items listed on eBay located in Canada and was always surprised by the cost of shipping. Very expensive. I guess that's why the US Postal service is broke and the Canadians are not.
Has nothing to do with it. The Postal Service was lobbied-against by commercial shippers and certain politics such that zero-profit and negative cash-flow only is realized by USPS as a gov’t “corporation”... it’s why USPS has stoopid 1-cent stamp increases/valuations, employer/employee-lousy actual benefits but poor reputation) contracts, etc. The USPS is one of the best and most undervalued delivery services in the world. I’ve shipped 50-lb packages parcel-post across the country for $11 and (despite the ten-day expected delivery) it arrived in 3 days in perfect condition.
There’s a reason FedEx and Amazon and others deliver to/via the post office but call it their own.

(No. I’m not and have never been a post office employee.)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: You might try buying Amazon gift cards and use them to pay instead of using a credit card. That, along with a VPN, and you should be able to get whatever you want shipped to the US address at least.

Hmm, so HOW do I pay for the A gift cards ??? So far my Mastercard has never,ever been refused in 14 countries and 100s of businesses.......
I should NOT have to have a VPN to do busioness with ANY company. I've bought lots of items in the USA ,shipped witin the USA, never had a problem.....
Fortunately I can bypass Amazon and their idiotic 'business model''.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Has nothing to do with it. The Postal Service was lobbied-against by commercial shippers and certain politics such that zero-profit and negative cash-flow only is realized by USPS as a gov’t “corporation”... it’s why USPS has stoopid 1-cent stamp increases/valuations, employer/employee-lousy actual benefits but poor reputation) contracts, etc. The USPS is one of the best and most undervalued delivery services in the world. I’ve shipped 50-lb packages parcel-post across the country for $11 and (despite the ten-day expected delivery) it arrived in 3 days in perfect condition.
There’s a reason FedEx and Amazon and others deliver to/via the post office but call it their own.

(No. I’m not and have never been a post office employee.)
Would never argue that the US Postal service is bad. I too have shipped plenty of things with no complaints. It cost a lot more to have something shipped to the US using the Canadian mail service. Thats my point an I am sticking with it. A few times I have bought items on eBay and gasped when checking out when confronted with the cost to ship. I cancelled those purchases.